Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I have 2 interviews next week to study Games Design at University, both have which asked for a portfolio, I am really stuck on what I should include and just advice in general, I have no clue what to expect so any bit of help would really be useful!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to include are, either 3D modelling work if you have any, 2D work, life drawings, would be a good idea to input concept are and or character development. What you should do is put your best work first, then the not so great stuff at the end. Best to use two A3 pages for one thing.
    So an example:
    First page: Front cover
    Second and Third page: 3D modelling
    Fourth and Fifth page: 2D animation
    Sixth and Seventh page: Concept art
    Eighth and Ninth page: Character Development
    Tenth and Eleventh page: Life Drawings
    Twelfth: Back page

That's how I've laid out my own portfolio. Good luck for the University interviews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphraco)
    Best thing to include are, either 3D modelling work if you have any, 2D work, life drawings, would be a good idea to input concept are and or character development. What you should do is put your best work first, then the not so great stuff at the end. Best to use two A3 pages for one thing.
    So an example:
    First page: Front cover
    Second and Third page: 3D modelling
    Fourth and Fifth page: 2D animation
    Sixth and Seventh page: Concept art
    Eighth and Ninth page: Character Development
    Tenth and Eleventh page: Life Drawings
    Twelfth: Back page

That's how I've laid out my own portfolio. Good luck for the University interviews!
    I have no life drawings, mainly minimal experience in 3D/2D, it's my coding which I have focused more on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayzeMKW)
    I have no life drawings, mainly minimal experience in 3D/2D, it's my coding which I have focused more on
    Well, I'd crack on and try to get a few life drawings, if you can only get a few, that's fine.
    If you have no 3D work try and get as much 2D as you can, even if its little story board animations or just straight up a few little characters and environment's I'm sure it'd be good enough. Plus concept art, that'd be helpful as hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphraco)
    Well, I'd crack on and try to get a few life drawings, if you can only get a few, that's fine.
    If you have no 3D work try and get as much 2D as you can, even if its little story board animations or just straight up a few little characters and environment's I'm sure it'd be good enough. Plus concept art, that'd be helpful as hell.
    My drawings are my weakness, I'm gonna try and get as much done on my computer and just hope that helps, not too sure on what interview questions I'll get asked 😩

ReputationRep:
    My drawings are my weakness, I'm gonna try and get as much done on my computer and just hope that helps, not too sure on what interview questions I'll get asked 😩
    They'll be happy that you've given drawing a go, because it shows you're passionate. I'm applying for animation (not the same but oh well) and I included life drawing, digital work, character design, work from my current subjects, and work I've done outside of class. I did have a look at a game course and from what I heard they really like artists (not much mention on coding) but obviously where you're applying to might be different. As for questions, it'll probably be the fairly generic ones like: Why are you applying for the course? What games are you a fan of? Favourite genre? What do you think you can bring to the field of game design? What do you like about our course/university? And what question do you have for us about the course
    The main thing you should do is try to convey how enthusiastic you are about game design, and demonstrate that you're someone they want to teach

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point man, enthusiasm is the way! Thanks for your help bro
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    They'll be happy that you've given drawing a go, because it shows you're passionate. I'm applying for animation (not the same but oh well) and I included life drawing, digital work, character design, work from my current subjects, and work I've done outside of class. I did have a look at a game course and from what I heard they really like artists (not much mention on coding) but obviously where you're applying to might be different. As for questions, it'll probably be the fairly generic ones like: Why are you applying for the course? What games are you a fan of? Favourite genre? What do you think you can bring to the field of game design? What do you like about our course/university? And what question do you have for us about the course The main thing you should do is try to convey how enthusiastic you are about game design, and demonstrate that you're someone they want to teach
    That's a good point man, enthusiasm is the way! Thanks for your help bro

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.