Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voters overwhelmingly reject second Brexit referendum Watch

ReputationRep:
    Interesting figures. Only 26% want a second referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

First people were told that Brexit negotiations are starting soon and were then asked which of these three options they would prefer.

UK leaving, regardless of what happens: 53%

Parliament to decide whether the UK leaves, based on the outcome of negotiations: 12%

A second referendum to let people decide, based on the outcome of the negotiations: 26%

Don’t know: 9%
    And this;

A clear majority of voters (63%) support Theresa May’s claim that leaving the EU without a trade deal would be better than leaving with bad trade deal, the poll suggests.

And a clear majority of voters (59%) thinks May was right to threaten economic retaliation, including slashing business taxes, if the EU offers the UK a bad Brexit deal.

It looks like the PM enjoys broad support to just get on with the job and press ahead, in spite of the carping and the Remainer hopes (literally) that this country fails so they can say, "I told you so".

Oh and the Tories are 16 points ahead of Labour. Corbyn doesn't even full support among Labour voters, let alone the broader population.

ReputationRep:
    if only i was part of that 26%

i can't vote yet.

ReputationRep:

Up yours Remoaners and Labour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Interesting figures.

A clear majority of voters (63%) support Theresa May’s claim that leaving the EU without a trade deal would be better than leaving with bad trade deal, the poll suggests.

Who are the 37% who disagree with that statement? You could get Nigel Farage and Ken Clarke to agree with Theresa May on that one.

This is unlikely to silence those calling for a second referendum most vocally, the Liberal Democrats. 26 percent is more than they got in 2010 so there's no electoral incentive for them to drop it.

Oh and the Tories are 16 points ahead of Labour. Corbyn doesn't even full support among Labour voters, let alone the broader population.
      What I find most interesting is that UKIP support is still more or less where it was at the last election. Given May's approach, I would've thought many of the Tory-in-exile types would've run back to the mothership quicker than anything.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Well this means nuffin, the peeple proved themselves stoopid last year when they voted to leave so clearly this is just them being stoppid eagain.

ReputationRep:
      good - now maybe tim farron can listen to the people and therefore give life to the name of his own party
      also, tim farron is such an awful leader. what is it with the liberal democrats and electing awful leaders?
      I doubt the members of the party asked for much, but this is just embarrassing
      was it because a yorkshire head-flapper like farron was merely "better" than clegg?

ReputationRep:
      Would argue these figures are not at all 'interesting' and more just common sense. After all, we all know that anyone who genuinely wants to ignore the result of a perfectly democratic election is an idiot who doesn't actually care about democracy unless the vote goes their way.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      Well this means nuffin, the peeple proved themselves stoopid last year when they voted to leave so clearly this is just them being stoppid eagain.
      Because democracy is never wrong

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleepysnooze)
      good - now maybe tim farron can listen to the people and therefore give life to the name of his own party
      also, tim farron is such an awful leader. what is it with the liberal democrats and electing awful leaders?
      I doubt the members of the party asked for much, but this is just embarrassing
      was it because a yorkshire head-flapper like farron was merely "better" than clegg?
      They can still democratically oppose the referendums decision and still be democrats you numty.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Davij038)
      They can still democratically oppose the referendums decision and still be democrats you numty.
      as if that's to say that their desire to essentially veto or obstruct a referendum result isn't undemocratic? I'm not saying they must believe in what the people believe, I'm just saying that the liberal democrats kind of have a history of this. they favoured a referendum until they came into government. and now they want a referendum because the first referendum gave them the result they didn't want. so they only want referenda when they have some kind of political advantage from it.

ReputationRep:

It looks like the PM enjoys broad support to just get on with the job and press ahead, in spite of the carping and the Remainer hopes (literally) that this country fails so they can say, "I told you so".
      Engage your critical faculties- if you sincerely believed that a certain decision for instance voting in Corbyn was a bad idea you are going to point out when there are bad results because of this.

Gee Corbyn won get over it and Accept democracy

[irony]

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleepysnooze)
      as if that's to say that their desire to essentially veto or obstruct a referendum result isn't undemocratic? I'm not saying they must believe in what the people believe, I'm just saying that the liberal democrats kind of have a history of this. they favoured a referendum until they came into government. and now they want a referendum because the first referendum gave them the result they didn't want. so they only want referenda when they have some kind of political advantage from it.
      As I said last time: All political parties are opportunistic!

They didn't want a referendum recently because they thought they'd lose it what with various crises. Parties don't campaign fir things they think they'll lose.

ReputationRep:
      Because democracy is never wrong
      Thats not the point of democracy.

The point is, democracy is there to express the will of the people.

Right or, in your opinion,wrong.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joe cooley)
      Thats not the point of democracy.

The point is, democracy is there to express the will of the people.

Ok- the will of the people is never wrong

[irony]

ReputationRep:
      Ok- the will of the people is never wrong

[irony]

Seriously, that line confused you?

ReputationRep:
      Interesting figures. Only 26% want a second referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

And this;

[/b]

The second referendum was on june 23rd.

This was the first
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ferendum,_1975

The next referendum will be the third.

1+1 = 2

1+1+1 = 3

ReputationRep:
      Mother Theresa is totally slaying the game right now.

ReputationRep:
      based

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joe cooley)

Seriously, that line confused you?
      No but i believe you're arguing on a relativistic standpoint which I don't accept the premise of.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.