Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Civil service grades suitable for graduates Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sma0414)
    If you're recruited in the Civil Service on a "2 year contract (with a possibility of permanency)" at an EO level, is it possible to get promoted to HEO level before the end of the 2 years? Or must you wait till you complete the 2 years at EO level and then take further steps to try to get to the HEO level? Thank you !!
    I would also like to know this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sma0414)
    If you're recruited in the Civil Service on a "2 year contract (with a possibility of permanency)" at an EO level, is it possible to get promoted to HEO level before the end of the 2 years? Or must you wait till you complete the 2 years at EO level and then take further steps to try to get to the HEO level? Thank you !!
    If you have been recruited through a "fair and open competition" on a fixed term contract you will usually be entitled to apply for relevant vacancies on promotion in the same way as any "permanent" civil service colleague. If the new post is a permanent position you then become a permanent civil servant. The normal caveat is that your new post must commence before the end of your existing fixed term.

Of course, there may be exceptions to this rule and you should seek clarification from your HR contact if you are concerned, however in my experience to date this has invariably been the case.

ReputationRep:
    I recently started employment at the Cabinet Office on a HEO/SEO rank; coming straight from my postgraduate course. A lot of people here are saying it is rare to start at that grade, but it is certainly possible. The only relevant work experience I had was a six month policy research internship at the House of Lords.
    I spent around three months applying, and attended three interviews for different positions. Ironically, I was hired for the most senior position out of all those I was interviewed for.

ReputationRep:
    When can a final year university student apply/start to apply for civil service jobs?Would ideallike to start working in September 2018.Also I have 6 months event managing(managed a fashion show myself and had people working under me) experience.What roles can I apply for and when should I start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara211)
    When can a final year university student apply/start to apply for civil service jobs?Would ideallike to start working in September 2018.Also I have 6 months event managing(managed a fashion show myself and had people working under me) experience.What roles can I apply for and when should I start?
    assume 3-4 months prior for direct entry.

Assuming you get the first one you apply for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.