Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 i need to move out
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have you looked at house shares? Or are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Have you looked at house shares? Or are you at uni?
    No and are house shares expensive
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by struggler07)
    No and are house shares expensive
    No. They're cheaper than living on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    No. They're cheaper than living on your own.
    Really

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all i'd set a monthly budget to see what you can and can't afford. It's useless finding a really nice flat only to find it's going to cost you your entire months wages and more..

As tiger rag says look into house shares. They're alot cheaper than living on your own, usually because everything is split. For example you might find a flat for £800 a month but then you have to pay bills/council tax, ect on top of that. So you'd be looking at around £1000ish (this obviously varies depending on where you live) then you have to add food/transport/general living costs on top of that. With a house share you can live in the same area for say £500 a month and you usually split the bills between tenants so you end up paying alot less. Some house shares might even do communal food (you all put money into a pot and use it to buy milk, bread, washing up liquid, ect)

You're also going to need a guarantor. This is someone who will step up to pay the rent if you can't.

In terms of actually looking Rightmove and Zoopla will be your best bet, just set your requirements (Area, price, max bedrooms ect) and start searching. After you've found somewhere contact the estate agent and set up viewings. Make sure you go with a list of questions "Why did the last tenant leave?" "What's the local area like" "Is there any restrictions on the flat?" (Eg pets, visitors, ect). Moving out is a costly process as you'll be subject to credit checks and you'll also need a sum of money up front (This can vary massively but the ones i've come across have been 1-2 months rent and a deposit)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Well first of all i'd set a monthly budget to see what you can and can't afford. It's useless finding a really nice flat only to find it's going to cost you your entire months wages and more..

As tiger rag says look into house shares. They're alot cheaper than living on your own, usually because everything is split. For example you might find a flat for £800 a month but then you have to pay bills/council tax, ect on top of that. So you'd be looking at around £1000ish (this obviously varies depending on where you live) then you have to add food/transport/general living costs on top of that. With a house share you can live in the same area for say £500 a month and you usually split the bills between tenants so you end up paying alot less. Some house shares might even do communal food (you all put money into a pot and use it to buy milk, bread, washing up liquid, ect)

You're also going to need a guarantor. This is someone who will step up to pay the rent if you can't.

In terms of actually looking Rightmove and Zoopla will be your best bet, just set your requirements (Area, price, max bedrooms ect) and start searching. After you've found somewhere contact the estate agent and set up viewings. Make sure you go with a list of questions "Why did the last tenant leave?" "What's the local area like" "Is there any restrictions on the flat?" (Eg pets, visitors, ect). Moving out is a costly process as you'll be subject to credit checks and you'll also need a sum of money up front (This can vary massively but the ones i've come across have been 1-2 months rent and a deposit)
    Thanks your right I need to save money flat share is ok but me and the flatfmate need to get on no arguments and that that I want to move out to Epsom or Watford or somewhere remote and cheap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.