Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    you dare to lecture me on kindness after the foul things you've said?
    don't feel terrible for me. my life is one of happiness, choice and freedom.
    what things? you said you weren't embarrassed so it was fine, right? exactly. so what "foul" things?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, sometimes I take the initiative to chat to people and I would feel so sad and demoralised if someone was dismissive or rude to me. :emo: I don't think gender is relevant here.

If I ignored everyone who tried to talk to me, and automatically labelled them a creep, I wouldn't have any friends. I have a few good friends from whence our friendship was forged through general chatter (of the type you denigrate in the OP) whilst I was scrolling on my phone or doing work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimboJones_)
    what things? you said you weren't embarrassed so it was fine, right? exactly. so what "foul" things?
    if I have to tell you, then you're the one who's autistic, not me.

by the way, it's in pretty poor taste to use autism as an insult. you do know it's a genuine learning difficulty right?

oh right, no of course you wouldn't, because you're a foul git who will resort to anything if it makes a good insult.

lol, you're so eager for everyone to see my threads. why do I get into your skin so much? it's beyond sadness really. no one really gives a **** whether I'm a virgin or a celibate or fat, just you it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Seriously though, sometimes I take the initiative to chat to people and I would feel so sad and demoralised if someone was dismissive or rude to me. :emo: I don't think gender is relevant here.

If I ignored everyone who tried to talk to me, and automatically labelled them a creep, I wouldn't have any friends. I have a few good friends from whence our friendship was forged through general chatter (of the type you denigrate in the OP) whilst I was scrolling on my phone or doing work.
    I wasn't rude to the guy, perhaps a bit dismissive. You werent there so you dont know the situation exactly, but believe me it was weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I hate IB.)
    You certainly wouldnt have called him creepy if he was Ryan Gosling. You'd have been flattered.
    Wrong. I'm celibate so no I wouldn't have been flattered. Odd behavior is odd regardless of who does it. Gosling isn't even that good looking, I just thought of him because hes in la la land.

ReputationRep:
    3/10 for effort

ReputationRep:
    It would seem you have a problem with men in general, @sherlockfan. You say that you're unattractive, but I've often felt that men would have sex with anything with a vagina. I don't know if any other guy or girl has approached you in this way in a different setting and if so have you or would you find them pathetic and or creepy? Have you tried to understand why this guy or any other person would hit on you in the first place? Personally I don't think its desperate to seek out a companion even if it is purely sexual, it could turn into something more. Basically you could call me indifferent. If I cared to at all, I'd rather try to understand a person than judge them. If it were me in that situation I don't know what I'd think sometimes I'm up for meeting new people (making new friends) sometimes I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Gosling isn't even that good looking
    Ryan Gosling seems to me one of these people supposed as goodlooking by same sex heterosexuals, i.e. is a straight man's (inaccurate) guess at what women or gay men see as attractive.

Deprived of the capacity to vote with their non-stirring genitals they default to considerations such as facial symmetry and neatness of nose, with the result that the happy benificiary of their conjecture and by extension their casting decisions is necessarily entirely anodyne, a shop mannequin made flesh, the gym-Tim on the packaging for boxer shorts. The female analogue for this is Gwynneth Paltrow, who has inspired no erection ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    it's not right to bother people
    but she is essentially interpreting acts of kindness as "bothering"
    which really tells you what kind of person she is, honestly
    I mean, it would be different if it was persistent, but obviously it wasn't, it was clearly a rather innocent act of kindness. and she blew it off because her personality isn't probably disgusting.
    No.

You are calling bothering "kindness".

It's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I think you overreacted. Him trying to start a conversation isn't creepy, he's just trying to be sociable. However, I also think you acted fine. You didn't say anything mean or rude, you simply made it clear you're not interested in a conversation.

Not sure what the problem is, other than you crying that someone in a public place spoke to you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, a guy talked about books in a library, whatever next?

Should I take offense when the waitress asks if my food is okay?

OP:

(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Lmao this reminds me of the time when I was volunteering at my local library and this random guy (who must've been 3 years older than me) kept trying to make conversation. I remember he left the library then came back with cookies and even offered me one.
    It was v strange bc random people don't usually make convos with me but he was friendly
    Here that happened to one of my friends! She ended up getting the police involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Ryan Gosling seems to me one of these people supposed as goodlooking by same sex heterosexuals, i.e. is a straight man's (inaccurate) guess at what women or gay men see as attractive.

Deprived of the capacity to vote with their non-stirring genitals they default to considerations such as facial symmetry and neatness of nose, with the result that the happy benificiary of their conjecture and by extension their casting decisions is necessarily entirely anodyne, a shop mannequin made flesh, the gym-Tim on the packaging for boxer shorts. The female analogue for this is Gwynneth Paltrow, who has inspired no erection ever.
    Are you saying that women would suggest that men should find Gwynneth Paltrow attractive?

I would say that women do something else - if asked "who" men would be attracted to, they either pick a woman they aren't or a woman that they are - they'll pick an caricatured sexualised woman like Kim Kardashian or Nicole Sherzinger (safe in the knowledge that many people will say "ugh - I don't like her" - or a woman that they would identify strongly with, even if they don't physically resemble them - so an Emma Watson or Amal Clooney type.

I'm with you on Ryan Gosling, tho. Straight dudes will identify a man that they think women should be attracted on a formula of - "I don't find him attractive, but I can see why you could/should".

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. I'm celibate so no I wouldn't have been flattered. Odd behavior is odd regardless of who does it. Gosling isn't even that good looking, I just thought of him because hes in la la land.
    Celibacy is just like veganism. It's denying yourself something because you think it's trendy, but in reality you're just missing out on what everyone else is enjoying.

ReputationRep:
    Caught a guy beating his meat in my Public Library. Haven't visited since...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Let's get real, there was only one issue here, and it wasn't anything to do with the library.

You didn't fancy the dude; ergo he's creepy and desperate.

If it had been Benedict coming up to you in the library, presumably it would be a whirlwind of romance, and just the thing you'd expect from a sensitive, intellectual man- rather than the tacky experience of a horrid club or bar.
    Nah,benedict is way too plain. If wentworth Miller was the guy in question... :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    This. The level of hatred some men exhume in this thread is incredible.
    exude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
    Nah we have a professional army for a reason. No one wants to be responsible for useless Tim ending up in a body bag because he couldn't use his weapon.
    that's a sexist comment. women can just be as bad and then should be made to serve in a armed force. so treating a woman hater by placing them in a male environment will cure what

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like this guy dodged a bullet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here that happened to one of my friends! She ended up getting the police involved!
    Really? What happened afterwards?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.