Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone here studied a biological sciences course part time at a physical university? Rather than the OU, for example. If you have, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Bit of background: I dropped out of university in 2013 after only being there for about a month. Wrong course and wrong uni. I then began working in a laboratory. I've been there three years now and my employer has said that it may be able to sponsor me to do a course, so I'm just doing a bit of investigation. I would need to keep working full time but they should be able to release me for some time each week to attend lectures.

The courses I am most interested in are Biology, Biotechnology and Biomedical Science. Biochemistry isn't really any good as I don't have an A level in Chemistry

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone here studied a biological sciences course part time at a physical university? Rather than the OU, for example. If you have, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Bit of background: I dropped out of university in 2013 after only being there for about a month. Wrong course and wrong uni. I then began working in a laboratory. I've been there three years now and my employer has said that it may be able to sponsor me to do a course, so I'm just doing a bit of investigation. I would need to keep working full time but they should be able to release me for some time each week to attend lectures.

The courses I am most interested in are Biology, Biotechnology and Biomedical Science. Biochemistry isn't really any good as I don't have an A level in Chemistry

Thanks in advance!
    Are you interested in becoming a Biomedical Scientist? I'm querying because of your mention of working in laboratories and biomedical science interesting you?

There is a part time BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) course that is both IBMS accredited and will get you HCPC registration within the course. Many staff are on my local course from hospital pathology departments whom work in roles ranging from Band 2 to Band 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    Are you interested in becoming a Biomedical Scientist? I'm querying because of your mention of working in laboratories and biomedical science interesting you?

There is a part time BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) course that is both IBMS accredited and will get you HCPC registration within the course. Many staff are on my local course from hospital pathology departments whom work in roles ranging from Band 2 to Band 4.
    I don't currently work as a biomedical scientist, or within the NHS at all - I work for a biotechnology company I'm not sure if my company will feel Healthcare Science is relevant enough to my role, but I'll definitely investigate further! Thanks for sharing - it's good to know what's out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    I don't currently work as a biomedical scientist, or within the NHS at all - I work for a biotechnology company I'm not sure if my company will feel Healthcare Science is relevant enough to my role, but I'll definitely investigate further! Thanks for sharing - it's good to know what's out there.
    Just to prevent confusion, you require HCPC registration to work as a Biomedical Scientist, which is a protected title and you cannot refer to yourself as such without registration. Once told a few friends who had graduated with Biomedical Science degrees that had decided they were now 'Qualified Biomedical Scientist's' that they were breaking the law by saying that. Didn't believe me and was shocked when I showed it to be true.

I think that'll clear up any confusion with what I was trying to say. A registered Biomedical Scientist is someone who firstly has an IBMS acredited degree and has then spent time in a CPA/UKAS accredited NHS training laboratory in order to work through their HCPC portfolio to obtain a Certificate of Competence. For this reason anytime anyone says a Biomedical Scientist they should be referring to someone working in the NHS, if not then they've gotten a tad mixed up .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.