Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you read this sentence as? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Upload your CV, together with a covering statement, of no more than two sides, demonstrating how you meet the criteria for a successful investigator and setting out what you will bring to the role"

The bit in bold. Is it referring to the CV and cover letter both TOGETHER being no more than 2 sides? Or just the covering statement being no more than 2 sides? The goddamn comma after "statement" makes me think it's the latter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    "Upload your CV, together with a covering statement, of no more than two sides, demonstrating how you meet the criteria for a successful investigator and setting out what you will bring to the role"

The bit in bold. Is it referring to the CV and cover letter both TOGETHER being no more than 2 sides? Or just the covering statement being no more than 2 sides? The goddamn comma after "statement" makes me think it's the latter?
    cover letter I think
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

The covering letter should be no more than two sides.

ReputationRep:
    You see I interpreted that as the CV being no more than two sides! They seemed like separate things to me, with the middle clause "together with a covering statement" being an additional note rather than it depending on that.

ReputationRep:
    It's worded really weirdly to me. I took it as the CV, and a covering letter, with the covering letter not being more than 2 sides

ReputationRep:
    Just the covering statement should be no more than 2 sides

ReputationRep:

Yeah the comma is placed in a way it's talking about the CV.

Otherwise it should be:

"Upload your CV, together with a covering statement of no more than two sides,"

ReputationRep:
    Take a piece of paper. Download the printer icon. Print the printer. Then upload your CV and covering letter on three sheets.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This is most likely to be a two-page CV with a standard cover letter which, in most cases, should be around a page. This doesn't preclude you from using a one-page CV if you have a very limited professional history though.

If there are contact details attached to the posting, you should ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    This is most likely to be a two-page CV with a standard cover letter which, in most cases, should be around a page. This doesn't preclude you from using a one-page CV if you have a very limited professional history though.

If there are contact details attached to the posting, you should ask them.
    Now I'm even more confused

There's no contact details on the job posting. It's a government job posted on the civil service website if that makes it any clearer. Also, with the job description/ person spec I don't get how they want just a single page covering statement
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm even more confused

There's no contact details on the job posting. It's a government job posted on the civil service website if that makes it any clearer. Also, with the job description/ person spec I don't get how they want just a single page covering statement
    They won't be expecting you to do both in two pages as a one-page CV isn't standard, though you definitely don't (generally) want to go over two pages for a CV. Your covering letter doesn't have to be one page, that is just the typical length. It is a useful length because many people repeat themselves and make irrelevant claims in their cover letters otherwise. Recruitment managers will have limited time and inclination to read pages upon pages of prose from you. Given what they've said, it would be entirely reasonable for you to assume it is a standard length CV and a two-page covering letter and proceed on that basis, though I would still put the most pertinent information near the beginning to give it more chance of actually being read rather than given a cursory glance.

I read it as being badly written. A CV is max. two pages and an ideal cover letter should be max. one page.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ByronicHero)
      They won't be expecting you to do both in two pages as a one-page CV isn't standard, though you definitely don't (generally) want to go over two pages for a CV. Your covering letter doesn't have to be one page, that is just the typical length. It is a useful length because many people repeat themselves and make irrelevant claims in their cover letters otherwise. Recruitment managers will have limited time and inclination to read pages upon pages of prose from you. Given what they've said, it would be entirely reasonable for you to assume it is a standard length CV and a two-page covering letter and proceed on that basis, though I would still put the most pertinent information near the beginning to give it more chance of actually being read rather than given a cursory glance.
      Yep I have a quick summary in the beginning of my cover letter on the points that I'm going to go over. The covering statement as they call it is one and half pages long. My CV is at 1 page.

IF they want both to be a page each I fail to see how the covering letter on one page is even do-able, as the cheeky buggers even want me to right WHERE I saw the job posted and WHICH office I want to be located at. Why not have that as part of the line application as most employers do, cheeky buggers

/rant
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Yep I have a quick summary in the beginning of my cover letter on the points that I'm going to go over. The covering statement as they call it is one and half pages long. My CV is at 1 page.

IF they want both to be a page each I fail to see how the covering letter on one page is even do-able, as the cheeky buggers even want me to right WHERE I saw the job posted and WHICH office I want to be located at. Why not have that as part of the line application as most employers do, cheeky buggers

/rant
      It seems extremely unlikely that they require your CV to be one page, though a one page CV is fine. It is common for companies to ask for cover letters to be X length, but rare for them to stipulate the length of a CV; so, on that basis, it is reasonable to conclude the two pages refers to the cover letter. That's the thing - it can be read either way. On balance, I think a one page CV and a two page cover letter sounds fine as that will still be fewer pages than many people submit.

This all being said, awful job posting like this are so tedious. I would never let one of my team submit something so unclear.

Anyway, best of luck!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.