Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who Misses life under the Labour government Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone old enough to remember how life was easy under the labour government?
    There was no such thing as an NHS crisis
    No public sector cuts
    Unemployed and disable/ill people were not punished for being unemployed
    Education system didn't go through drastic changes like they did under the Tory
    No ideological attacks on the poor
    National debt didn't triple
    Good employment rights
    Can get funding to go to a tribunal
    There were funding for local community organisations after school clubs etc
    There were youth clubs in inner cities I remember going on trips during my summer holidays and this was funded by the government
    EMA money you got for going college
    You could claim incapacity benefit if you had mental illness by just filling a form out with of course your Doctors approval
    Less food banks
    You can get a council house if you are 18 single meaning that you didn't have to stay at your parents till your older
    You can study gender studies and bag yourself a nice public sector job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    No public sector cuts
    Good employment rights
    There were youth clubs in inner cities I remember going on trips during my summer holidays and this was funded by the government
    You could claim incapacity benefit if you had mental illness by just filling a form out with of course your Doctors approval
    Less food banks
    You can get a council house if you are 18 single meaning that you didn't have to stay at your parents till your older
    Not really. The Tory mantra of responsibility is a direct consequence of these irresponsible policies. Paying people to go college to study useless subjects for example, it takes people out of industry and delays adult responsibilities, it pushes people out of the job market who are perfectly qualified.

ReputationRep:
    I remember back in the late 90s when Labour first came into power..Conservatives had had reign over this country for nearly 20 years up to that point....I was in a class in school when it was announced that Labour had won...The streets around my school erupted into anarchy; cars honking horns, people shouting out of joy, everyone just went crazy...I never saw election results celebrated like that since...It was understandable too....Anyone that was old enough to know what life was like back then would know what I am talking about...

....you would go into A&E bleeding and broken up and have to wait 8 hours to be seen by a doctor...Transport services were falling apart...I remember the desks we used to write on in school were so badly worn out that you had to put a book under your paper to be able to write anything ....the roads were worn so bad the victorian paving was starting to appear and houses cost like 30 thousand pounds in London but people could not afford them because everyone was just piss poor....lol ten years of Labour turned everything around....I don't vote Labour but what they did was just amazing.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    No public sector cuts
    Good employment rights
    Less food banks
    Me. I miss the period between 2003 and 2008

ReputationRep:
    The UK economy grew consistently from the start of 1992 until the end of 2007. Tony Blair inherited a strong economy in 1997 from the Major Conservative government which allowed New Labour to carry out its election promises.
    Blair & Brown did actually run a budget surplus early in the New Labour years but this dried up rather quickly. By the time the Credit Crunch hit at the end of 2007 it was Labour amassing debt. Until the recession hit, George Osborne had actually pledged to match Labour's spending plans so there wasn't much of a difference there. Chancellor Darling's spending plans didn't actually look too different to Cameron's & Osborne's ideas during the 2010 General Election either - he acknowledged cuts would be needed.

To think Labour would be managing the country any better than the Conservatives is wishful thinking. Luckily, Comrade Corbyn & ilk won't make it back into power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    No public sector cuts
    Good employment rights
    Less food banks
    the nostalgia

ReputationRep:
    They got it massively, massively wrong on Iraq, and massively , massively wrong on the amount of immigrants they allowed in. Both policies are still having detrimental effects on us today.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and they also got it massively, massively wrong on the idea that millions more people should go to University and study [like my son i'll admit] Mickey Mouse degrees. If every Tom ,**** and Harry has one they become worthless, as we are now seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    They got it massively, massively wrong on Iraq, and massively , massively wrong on the amount of immigrants they allowed in. Both policies are still having detrimental effects on us today.
    That is true. However, between 2003 and 2007, everyone was comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Christ no, it was dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    That is true. However, between 2003 and 2007, everyone was comfortable.
    Yes, but the economy always goes through periods where people have more money in their pockets and then less so. Whichever |Government is in charge doesn't really make that much of a difference in people's everyday lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Christ no, it was dreadful.
    It was brilliant, what are you talking about. The music was better. The TV was better. Everyone had more money. There was prosperity between 1997-2007. It only went tits up in 2008.

ReputationRep:
    However, between 2003 and 2007, everyone was comfortable.
    Not the British service personnel fighting out in Iraq & Afghanistan under the brunt of defence cuts with kit ill-suited to desert environments, poor stratergy & manpower shortages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Not the British service personnel fighting out in Iraq & Afghanistan under the brunt of defence cuts with kit ill-suited to desert environments, poor stratergy & manpower shortages.
    That is true. I did not agree with the Iraq war. That was Blair's biggest mistake. If only he listened to Robin Cook.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone had more money. There was prosperity between 1997-2007.
    That is not my recollection from living on a council estate and attending a school literally falling apart. The wealth gap seemed far worse, the streets in many cities were filled with ASBOed yobs and our armed forces were dying in an illegal war.

ReputationRep:
    It was brilliant, what are you talking about. The music was better. The TV was better. Everyone had more money. There was prosperity between 1997-2007. It only went tits up in 2008.
    I've seen a clip from 1997 when Tony Blaire was elected and the joy on peoples faces it was like a great relief

ReputationRep:
    Music and television programmes are not as a direct or even indirect result of a Government in power. The two things are completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    That is not my recollection from living on a council estate and attending a school literally falling apart. The wealth gap seemed far worse, the streets in many cities were filled with ASBOed yobs and our armed forces were dying in an illegal war.
    I lived in a poor area. Yeah there were a lot of chavs, but that was the culture of the time. Now teenagers are hipsters. Hippies make me sick. I agree the Iraq war was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    I've seen a clip from 1997 when Tony Blaire was elected and the joy on peoples faces it was like a great relief
    yeah it was, they had a conservative government for 18 years

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.