Who in your opinion is the greatest military leader of all time?

Watch
FNugent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
^ the above
Carthaginian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The man in my pic.
Alexander III,
Caesar,
Scipio,
Napoleon,
Rommel,
Phyrrus,
Khan
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Winston Churchill. [OK, I know he was a politician, but I'm referring to the Second World War]. The guy delivered what needed to be done. No-one else probably would have been able to.
Fallen Star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Churchill

Spoiler:
Show

Not the Dog
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alexander the Great.
username2705335
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
William The Conqueror and Winston Churchill
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hard one.

Hitler revived Germany and brought Europe Into ruins, but sure he did have faults and as a general he was not the best, all good leaders have good men with them such as Rommel.

Napoleon Brought Europe and Egypt and many other countries to their knees and obviously the whole exile and getting back into power.

Tons of forgotten leaders from Britain and France and many other countries, some long gone that also had tons of great leaders

Genghis Khan,Hannibal,Caesar, Yi Sun-Sin,Nelson and obviously many many more.
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 3 years ago
Comparing ancient leaders to Churchill is apples and pears really. The ancient history isn't complete enough to really know.

To chuck in another few names: Tzu, Arminius, Hannibal.

I don't think you can class Churchill as a military leader. He was a politician. He didn't command men.

In thousands of years of military history, there are bound to be people who achieved extraordinary things without being extraordinary people. It is impossible to know whether an ancient leader was a genius or just incredibly lucky because the evidence is complete and they don't fight that many battles.

It's like trying to work out who the best manager in the football league was in the 1950s by only looking at 5 games.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (581)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (342)
20.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.59%

Watched Threads