Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my daughter is in 3rd year equine science BSc. she would like to do a post grad vet course. but she is being asked for £29000 a year plus living money. she is looking abroad and is quite open minded. i find 29000 a silly price only the rich could afford that. you would think a graduate in an animal science would be a promising prospect. any advice. its been her lifes dream.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately competition is high for places in UK vet schools and there are students who will pay graduate fees without the help of student loans!

I'm in my 4th year at UVM Kosice in Slovakia.
    I love studying out here, the fees are €7,500 per year (worked out much cheaper pre-Brexit), flights are cheap and living costs much cheaper than the UK; my rent is €122 a month. We have 35oC summer sunshine and in winter we have ski slopes 15 mins away from dorms.
    Teaching is pretty good, we have lots of animals on campus each with their own clinic (small animal, exotics, ruminants, horses) most of which have been re-built in the last two or three years. Class sizes are small, around 10 students per practical, and very hands on which suits me.
    We also recently gained Approval and Accreditation from the EAEVE, only London and Nottingham are Accredited in the UK.

Any questions drop me a message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lwescott)
    Unfortunately competition is high for places in UK vet schools and there are students who will pay graduate fees without the help of student loans!

I love studying out here, the fees are €7,500 per year (worked out much cheaper pre-Brexit), flights are cheap and living costs much cheaper than the UK; my rent is €122 a month. We have 35oC summer sunshine and in winter we have ski slopes 15 mins away from dorms.
    Teaching is pretty good, we have lots of animals on campus each with their own clinic (small animal, exotics, ruminants, horses) most of which have been re-built in the last two or three years. Class sizes are small, around 10 students per practical, and very hands on which suits me.
    We also recently gained Approval and Accreditation from the EAEVE, only London and Nottingham are Accredited in the UK.

do you mind me asking how you fund it. it does seem the most likely prospect.

ReputationRep:
    There is no financial support through Student Loans etc so it is all self funded.

I worked for a year between my undergrad and vet school to save money and my family support me. There are jobs here teaching English but I stopped last year when Uni got busy, some people still teach online. Other people have taken Career Development Loans but usually in the final year so they can start to be repaid upon graduation.

ReputationRep:
    She could also apply to English universities (they don't charge as much for graduate entry as Scottish), and she would be eligible for the maintenance loan. They won't cover the tuition fees but will cover some if not most of the living costs.

But as Iwescott said studying in Europe is still much cheaper and I'm considering it myself.
    Other than Kosice in Slovakia there're also:
    Brno - Czech Republic
    Budapest - Hungary
    Warsaw - Poland
    Wroclaw - Poland

All of which are EAEVE approved to my knowledge (Always best to double check on the EAEVE website.)

Valencia in Spain also offers veterinary medicine but only the first 2 years are in English...
    Zagreb in Croatia is introducing vet medicine in English this year and this will be their first intake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lwescott)

Kosice is the university I was looking at as we had a talk here in Aberystwyth from a guy that has just graduated from Kosice after doing an animal science degree here and is now working just north of Aber. I think reading on the website that I have to wait until after I graduate to apply as they ask for your degree certificate which obviously I wont have until after I apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    She could also apply to English universities (they don't charge as much for graduate entry as Scottish), and she would be eligible for the maintenance loan. They won't cover the tuition fees but will cover some if not most of the living costs.

But as Iwescott said studying in Europe is still much cheaper and I'm considering it myself.
    Other than Kosice in Slovakia there're also:
    Brno - Czech Republic
    Budapest - Hungary
    Warsaw - Poland
    Wroclaw - Poland

All of which are EAEVE approved to my knowledge (Always best to double check on the EAEVE website.)

Valencia in Spain also offers veterinary medicine but only the first 2 years are in English...
    Zagreb in Croatia is introducing vet medicine in English this year and this will be their first intake.
    Thank you I will have a look at them some are ones I haven't seen before. I have read about the Spanish on they do teach you Spanish in the first 2 years but I am not very good at languages so wouldn't pick it up well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbarlo32)
    Kosice is the university I was looking at as we had a talk here in Aberystwyth from a guy that has just graduated from Kosice after doing an animal science degree here and is now working just north of Aber. I think reading on the website that I have to wait until after I graduate to apply as they ask for your degree certificate which obviously I wont have until after I apply.
    It must have been Mark who gave the talk, Irish guy?
    I did Animal Science at Aber and there are quite a few others here that did too.

There are people here who started in the September after they graduated so you should be able to apply and provide the certificate as soon as you have it; best to ask the Foreign Office.

ReputationRep:
    He was Irish yes but I dont remember his name. I will look into it, thank you. Though I would probably need to work for a bit before have the money to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I've written a bit about costs here because I went through all th agony of realising how expensive it was last year!
    https://lostbiologist.wordpress.com/...a-grad-part-1/
    I've been working a full time grad job for 2 and a half years now and will be off to vet school in 2018 which is pretty much as early as I could afford it (allowing some leeway for emergency costs etc) and that factors in splitting my living costs with my partner.

ReputationRep:
    i woder why rvc does not like equine science yet is ok with animal. both taught together at aber.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to have your degree cert when you apply to Kosice initially, I had the same confusion when I applied last year but I was accepted and just told I had to supply the transcripts when I had them. Ended up not going but you don't need to wait a year until after you graduate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.