Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

bsc management at WBS for IB/ asset management? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

I've got an offer from warwick for management and have several questions:
    how quantitative is the degree ( with the modules) ?
    is it possible to do a year abroad or do I need to switch to international management?
    Are there many people who get into IB / consultancy?

cheers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manhastam)
    hey guys,

I've got an offer from warwick for management and have several questions:
    how quantitative is the degree ( with the modules) ?
    is it possible to do a year abroad or do I need to switch to international management?
    Are there many people who get into IB / consultancy?

cheers
    ask Warwick about the year abroad sitch

find some management students on linkedin and ask them how they've found it. i know the user glebp studies it there so pm him

depends on whether you get picked up for interviews or not ultimately.. the target brand will help ofc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    ask Warwick about the year abroad sitch

find some management students on linkedin and ask them how they've found it. i know the user glebp studies it there so pm him

depends on whether you get picked up for interviews or not ultimately.. the target brand will help ofc

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the helpful answer )

ReputationRep:
    WBS student here.

1) Most WBS degrees share the first same year. Thus, the divergence of maths based modules becomes apparent in year 2, between degrees such as A&F and Management/Int Mngmt. Currently, Im a first year student at WBS studying Management, so I can shed some light for you. Maths during the first year isn't difficult, and I haven't done A level maths. We have a quantitative methods module, which is basically stats and probability. We work with things such as binomial/poisson distributions, time series, linear programming, multiple regressions etc. The lectures are recorded and are digestible for someone who never done A level maths but is comfortable with numbers. The second most quantitative module is financial management. It isn't that difficult, just need some practice. We do things like measuring asset risk using the co-variance between market indexes and assets, calculating the beta value and such. Year 2 you can pad your degree with soft modules or more mathematical, as you prefer.

2) Yes, its possible, with normal management or you can easily switch. I switched from international to normal.

3) Many people, indeed. WBS is very strong when it comes to financial services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    WBS student here.

1) Most WBS degrees share the first same year. Thus, the divergence of maths based modules becomes apparent in year 2, between degrees such as A&F and Management/Int Mngmt. Currently, Im a first year student at WBS studying Management, so I can shed some light for you. Maths during the first year isn't difficult, and I haven't done A level maths. We have a quantitative methods module, which is basically stats and probability. We work with things such as binomial/poisson distributions, time series, linear programming, multiple regressions etc. The lectures are recorded and are digestible for someone who never done A level maths but is comfortable with numbers. The second most quantitative module is financial management. It isn't that difficult, just need some practice. We do things like measuring asset risk using the co-variance between market indexes and assets, calculating the beta value and such. Year 2 you can pad your degree with soft modules or more mathematical, as you prefer.

2) Yes, its possible, with normal management or you can easily switch. I switched from international to normal.

3) Many people, indeed. WBS is very strong when it comes to financial services.
    thank you so much! this helped me a lot !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.