The Student Room Group

What is your favourite quote?

Please give reasons for your answer (if I get any replies :frown:)

Scroll to see replies

I have many- can't even answer this
One of them is:

"Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion" ~ Rumi
To me it means no matter what I face I will always try to overcome it.
Reply 4
"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions." - Shakespeare
Reply 5
Broke-214x300.jpg
There are so many but here is one that I particularly like from Dr Seuss:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind."

Simply because we all should be more content with ourselves and be unafraid to show how we truly feel.
Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember. Involve me and I will understand. Confucius
"All knowledge is precious, whether or not it serves the slightest human use." A.E Housman.

Any knowledge we learn, is truly valuable, whether or not it can be used. Just one of many which I have learnt over the years and admire.
When I trace at my pleasure, the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies, I no longer stand on the Earth with my feet, I stand among Zues himself, and take my fill of ambrosia.
Reply 10
You are the fugitive
But you don't know what you're runnin' from
"...the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape..."
"There comes a point in your life when you need to stop reading other people's books and write your own" ~ Albert Einstein
Do or do not. There is no try.
"Understand me. I am not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul." ~ Charles Bukowski
"Set some goals. Stay quiet about them. Smash the hell out of them. Clap for your own damn self" - idk who said this
I have loads of favourites and this is certainly one of them.

Apart from that

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

"Nobody said it'd be easy; they just promised it'd be worth it" - Anon.

etc etc.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Reason: This quote just makes me feel as if everything is possible and I like that feeling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Mine is "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
The reason I haven't explained why I like the quotes I posted above is because I personally don't like to. I don't know why but I feel like explaining things you're passionate about kind of trivializes them, I don't know I just do. I mean, if you understand/feel the meaning/depth of the quote, you do, if not then just leave it.

That probably completely didn't make any sense but whatevs.

Quick Reply

Latest