Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which Uni is better for CS: Kent or Swansea? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to study Computer Science in this year and I got 2 offers.

However I can't decide which University to choose from: Kent or Swansea?

Kent beginning in England and Swansea in Wales, I sort of favour more Kent. But since I studied in Swansea a year already (Foundation), I sort of like the place. Close to the nature, a beach right in front of the University and a big park next to the Student Halls in the Campus. The city size is just right for me - simple and small.

While I don't really know much about Kent. Reading the booklets that both University supplied to me about Computer Science, Kent plans and the way of explaining the teaching methods and etc sounds a lot more clear and in a way better than Swansea's one. Also, it seems Kent's reputation is higher, thus, in theory, it should be easier for me to find jobs if I study in Kent.

Again, the problem is that I don't know anything about Kent, and for any decision I need to stick with it for 3 years.

An extra thing that sort of made be worried, the accommodation and the internet services. Kent offers internet thru University's line, so it should be very fast *but* heavily blocked. They do not allow the use of Instant Messengers like ICQ(!) (Which makes it a lot harder for me to contact my friends or old-schoolmates across the world) and disallow Internet Gaming too (to certain degree I understand, however, I think that is not a lot to ask to have some sort of entertainment inside the room in the internet).

But then, Swansea, they say that this year they will give us Wireless access thru Campus’ network (which I assume is the University line too). However, they didn’t provide information as clear as Kent (in fact, I think that University Swansea is not too good at providing clear information), so it may or it may not be as heavily blocked as Kent’s.

Of course, for me, having proper internet access is quite important, but I think I can sort of live for a year with it and find an accommodation outside the University (hopefully, since I have heard that it is not very easy to find a good accommodation in Kent).

Well, can someone give me some advices for me? Please. I really don’t know which University is better, Swansea or Kent…

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I did my first degree at Swansea! The place rocks!

ReputationRep:
    I only just saw this post....but go to Kent...much better than Swansea! And you can get IM software running on the uni network, and it's fast! If you end up going to Kent I will see you there, as I am studying Comp Sci as well.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.