Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the most mind-blowing fact you know? Watch

ReputationRep:
    During WWII there were experiments doing on captured Russian soldiers to see how they were adapted to live in cold conditions. They were left in a tub full of cold water. Through out the experiments they found out that when the body temperature reaches 25 degrees you die....

I can eat chocolate in under 30 seconds

ReputationRep:
      A kangaroo can get pregnant in both uteri, and 'suspend development' of one of them (embryonic diapause) until the other one has left the pouch.
      (also the fact that they have THREE vaginas).

http://kangaroocreekfarm.com/about-roos/
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      The word "helicopter" is derived from "helico" (helikos - spiral) and "pter" (pteron - wing).

"copter" is nothing.

This blows my mind every day when I think about it.

ReputationRep:
      Scotland is the only country on earth where Coca Cola is sold but it is not the biggest selling soft drink.

Spoiler:
      Show
      Irn Bru is

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mihaela.revencu)
      During WWII there were experiments doing on captured Russian soldiers to see how they were adapted to live in cold conditions. They were left in a tub full of cold water. Through out the experiments they found out that when the body temperature reaches 25 degrees you die....
      And the data collected went on to be used by the Allies after the war to further science and our understanding of the human body. I believe this data then went on to be used to make a extreme weather survival suits for mariners.

ReputationRep:
      Gore Tex beat the Nazis.

ReputationRep:
      Human bite is more dangerous than any other animal bite, cause we have so much bacteria in our mouth.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nottie)
      Human bite is more dangerous than any other animal bite, cause we have so much bacteria in our mouth.
      Is this one of those new alternative facts I have been hearing so much about?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      Is this one of those new alternative facts I have been hearing so much about?
      In fairness it is true, it's just one of those that depends on how you phrase it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      In fairness it is true, it's just one of those that depends on how you phrase it.
      Well how it is phrased is wrong then.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      Well how it is phrased is wrong then.
      Depends how you term 'dangerous'.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nottie)
      I'd rather be bitten by a human than a highly venomous snake or spider.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      Depends how you term 'dangerous'.
      I would put it down to how likely you are to die from it or have a serious and ultimately life altering injury.

ReputationRep:
      The cost to sequence a human genome has fallen from $300,000,000 to less than $1,000 in 16 years.

And hand-held genome sequencers are now a reality.

ReputationRep:
      Dolphins don't sleep
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zacken)
      If a function \zeta : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} is once differentiable, it is infinitely differentiable.

(Ta Complex Analysis)
      Ah, complex analysis. I like it :lol:

Another cool fact

If D is a domain in \mathbb{C} and a holomorphic function f: D \rightarrow \mathbb{C} satisfies f'(z) = 0 \forall z \in D then f is constant.

ReputationRep:
      There are bits of WWI German submarines on the moon.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Indeterminate)
      Ah, complex analysis. I like it :lol:

Another cool fact

If D is a domain in \mathbb{C} and a holomorphic function f: D \rightarrow \mathbb{C} satisfies f'(z) = 0 \forall z \in D then f is constant.
      Liouville? More like Ladoville.

ReputationRep:
      The world doesn't revolve around me :ahhhhh:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.