Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you religious and do you believe in reincarnation?

ReputationRep:
    Not religion and don't really believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    i'm not religious and I do believe in reincarnation, like when we die, we come back in a different form. It could be another human or an animal and we have no memory of our previous life. If I had a choice, I would like to come back as a cat.

I don't believe in heaven and hell because I think its a form of social control that keeps people from deviating to the 'dark side'. I also don't want to believe that after we die, there's just nothing.

ReputationRep:
    no - believing in reincarnation makes no sense
    we know that consciousness is bound by a physical brain
    so how is it possible that a soul exists for reincarnation to be able to happen?

ReputationRep:
    Well when you die your atoms become part of every other living thing so yeah.Reincarnation happens physically not metaphysically.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat and no
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimboJones_)
    so how is it possible that a soul exists for reincarnation to be able to happen?
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimboJones_)
    No scientists know very little about consciousness its probably one of science's biggest unsolved mysteries.

Interesting problems involving consciousness include How did it evolve?, Why did it evolve?Is it even needed for an organism to function if so why?(look up philosophical zombie))Do animals have consciousness or just humans or just me even,with the rest of humans philosophical zombies?

As for the last question you seem to be working under some kind of arrogance that humans know everything.A soul could exist because of two reasons either it is connected to already existing science but its connection is currently unknown or it is connected with undiscovered science, people should always be open to this possibility because there are tonnes of unsolved problems in science probably demanding new science.

I personally find it hard to make any sense out of how a conscious being would completely die as many people think and although I admit that my beliefs could be influenced by my fear of death or need to belief in life after death I don't think we should be willing to accept things that we don't understand.

If consciousness does cease to exist after death then you won't be in some black void or resting in peace(like burial stones often say) you won't exist which seems hard to make sense of.People often try to make sense of it by saying it will be like a sleep that you don't wake up from but you wake up from sleep and thats kind of why reincarnation makes sense to me.Another explanation people offer is that death will be like before you were born and you don't remember anything from then so you mustn't have been alive but that is another poor argument because most people don't remember when they were 1 or 2 then and they were clearly alive then and in many reincarnation cases people do remember their past lives.

We have thousands of convincing reincarnation cases certainly more than anything else considered as something mystical or supernatural and many are very hard to criticise.If even one of these cases are real then reincarnation is real with the fake cases actually having been someone else than they thought in a previous life and that certainly does stack the odds in reincarnation's favour.

One thing that I do find interesting is that I would have thought given that reincarnation was real that there would be a lot less evidence for it given that humans can barely remember when they were 1 or 2 nevermind previous lives, with the brain vital in storing memories as well.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    No. It doesn't make sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.
    But I have to admit Buddhism is MUCH better than Christianity and Islam.

ReputationRep:
    You needn't have a soul to have reincarnation, all that is required is reflexive thought and a first personal perspective (or the illusion of one).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.