Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview question: Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can some of you guys please give me some good examples to this, Preferably in a call centre based environment. I've worked in one before for passport applications but I can't think of any real specific examples that wasn't already part of the role. I entered data, advised customers, escalated applications, sometimes transferred customers to different departments, and that's about it. But every interview I've gone to they asks me this question and I feel like my answer to this is what fails me everytime. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    Bump!
    No one can answer this for you - we don't know you're role, or how you behave.

Think of examples of when you've went above and beyond; perhaps calmed a customer down who was due to fly on holiday and hadn't received her/his passport by expediting the application and winning her round with strong interpersonal skills? Who knows.

This question is merely about letting your employer know that you're focused on delivering exceptional service and understand why this is important in a commercial sense.

Why do you think this question is failing you at interviews? Have you asked for feedback - specifically about this question?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDUC4TION)
    Can some of you guys please give me some good examples to this, Preferably in a call centre based environment. I've worked in one before for passport applications but I can't think of any real specific examples that wasn't already part of the role. I entered data, advised customers, escalated applications, sometimes transferred customers to different departments, and that's about it. But every interview I've gone to they asks me this question and I feel like my answer to this is what fails me everytime. Thanks
    The problem you'll have here is that you need to make your example believable, and potentially be able to answer additional questions about it, both of which will be difficult if someone else comes up with the example for you.

Remember, whilst it's nice to have a work based one, it doesn't have to be. Maybe you worked extra hard on a university project, or went out of your way to support someone, both of those would be valid answers too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.