The Student Room Group

Should I get a mechanical keyboard for uni?

I was wondering if I should get a mechanical keyboard for uni?
what mechanical keyboards you guys use and what would the best switches be for both gaming and typing as I am going to do computer science

I have found a refurbished Corsair K95 RGB for £109. Was wondering if this was a good deal:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-cg-k95-rgb-back-lit-keys-cherry-mx-brown-mechanical-wired-usb-20-anti-ghosting-all-ma
Reply 1
Original post by asim1999
I was wondering if I should get a mechanical keyboard for uni?
what mechanical keyboards you guys use and what would the best switches be for both gaming and typing as I am going to do computer science

I have found a refurbished Corsair K95 RGB for £109. Was wondering if this was a good deal:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-cg-k95-rgb-back-lit-keys-cherry-mx-brown-mechanical-wired-usb-20-anti-ghosting-all-ma

Majority of the people here don't use one unless due to preference or using a desktop PC (you don't really need one for Comp Sci, that is if you have a laptop).

From my personal opinion thats VERY expensive. I just use a normal cheap keyboard tbh (and sometimes my laptop keyboard). If you are going to spend most of your time gaming and is a hardcore gamer with high budget, by all means go for it.
I use a buckling spring keyboard, they are pretty awesome to say the least, check them out.
Original post by kkboyk
Majority of the people here don't use one unless due to preference or using a desktop PC (you don't really need one for Comp Sci, that is if you have a laptop).

From my personal opinion thats VERY expensive. I just use a normal cheap keyboard tbh (and sometimes my laptop keyboard). If you are going to spend most of your time gaming and is a hardcore gamer with high budget, by all means go for it.

Just curious as I am saving up money to upgrade my setup. I am using a 10 year old monitor and peripherals with a high end pc which is pretty ridiculous
Last year I got a Logitech G502 mouse and a surround sound headset. This year I am thinking of upgrading keyboard and monitor
Reply 4
You can always go with one that uses non-Cherry switches like this one on Amazon, it'll be a lot cheaper so it's not the end of the world if you don't like it. Of course, it's always down to personal preference, you might prefer a regular keyboard. Try going to your local PC World or Game first and see if you can find any on display, or ask someone if they have any that you could try to see if you want one or not.

On a side note, good choice with the G502. I got one recently and I love it to bits, especially since it has a built in fidget spinner! :wink:
Original post by DJ98
You can always go with one that uses non-Cherry switches like this one on Amazon, it'll be a lot cheaper so it's not the end of the world if you don't like it.

I've just picked this one up and I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as the "proper" Cherry-based keyboards I've tried before but I'm happy to pay 50%-80% less for something that still meets all my needs and delivers a much nicer typing experience than any membrane keyboard I've used before too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Mechanical-Illuminated-Anti-ghosting-Water-Resistant/dp/B005TIYDJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495392778&sr=8-1&keywords=tecknet+arctrix+pro+mechanical+gaming+keyboard
Reply 6
That looks interesting, actually, it's the first time I've seen a clone of the Topre / Cooler Master switches. I went the different route a while ago and picked up a used Blackwidow with MX Blues, it works fine for what I need it for and I was able to change the logo LED to red to suit the rest of my stuff.
Original post by DJ98
That looks interesting, actually, it's the first time I've seen a clone of the Topre / Cooler Master switches. I went the different route a while ago and picked up a used Blackwidow with MX Blues, it works fine for what I need it for and I was able to change the logo LED to red to suit the rest of my stuff.

Yeah I'm glad I took the risk, I wasn't even looking at mechanical keyboards initially but I wanted a well built backlit keyboard with a numpad and without a gaudy "gamer" aesthetic, and this ended up being the best option I could find on Amazon. Everything I'd read about mechanical keyboards previously was pointing people towards £80+ keyboards with features I had zero use for (I completely suck at mouse & keyboard gaming, Xbox gamepads for me :ahee:), so I was more than happy to find the cheap boards the PCMR like to sh*t on are perfectly good for typing.

The mouse is god-awful though, definitely need to get a new one :ahee:
If you do a lot of typing then it's worth getting one as they last much longer than your standard membrane keyboard. Generally, a membrane keyboard will last you 3 - 4 years with heavy typing. A mechanical keyboard will last you many more years. However, I think you know which one is more expensive.

Otherwise, mechanical keyboards are just really nice to type on.
Reply 9
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
If you do a lot of typing then it's worth getting one as they last much longer than your standard membrane keyboard. Generally, a membrane keyboard will last you 3 - 4 years with heavy typing. A mechanical keyboard will last you many more years. However, I think you know which one is more expensive.

Otherwise, mechanical keyboards are just really nice to type on.

With that said, you could get a mechanical that breaks after a year, or a membrane that lasts a lot longer. I've still got an old HP Compaq one from years ago that works fine, although it's a bit rough and missing the feet.
Original post by DJ98
With that said, you could get a mechanical that breaks after a year, or a membrane that lasts a lot longer. I've still got an old HP Compaq one from years ago that works fine, although it's a bit rough and missing the feet.

Although in general, the mechanical is likely to last longer. It all depends on what OP is doing. If OP does lots and lots of typing each day then I 'd strongly suggest a mechanical keyboard. If he does a little but then it's up to personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending