The Student Room Group

Universities in Holland/Denmark

Hi,

I am British but since I don't qualify for student finance (I havent lived in the UK three years prior to my degree), it is just too expensive to study here. I am looking at Unis in Denmark and Holland instead.

I am leaning towards going to university of Wittenborg (Apeldoorn, Holland), has anyone been there? any reviews?

Secondly, can someone guide me if I were to do my uni from Denmark/Holland, would I have any trouble getting a job back in the UK? What I mean is, are the qualifications I get there accepted here in the UK?

Thirdly, (sorry for the long post), can the government really not help me in doing my education here in the UK? Is student finance the ONLY way I could have got a loan? I just think it's ridiculous that I can't qualify simply because I haven't lived here for 3 years prior to my uni.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by soniashahid95
Hi,

I am British but since I don't qualify for student finance (I havent lived in the UK three years prior to my degree), it is just too expensive to study here. I am looking at Unis in Denmark and Holland instead.

I am leaning towards going to university of Wittenborg (Apeldoorn, Holland), has anyone been there? any reviews?

Secondly, can someone guide me if I were to do my uni from Denmark/Holland, would I have any trouble getting a job back in the UK? What I mean is, are the qualifications I get there accepted here in the UK?

Thirdly, (sorry for the long post), can the government really not help me in doing my education here in the UK? Is student finance the ONLY way I could have got a loan? I just think it's ridiculous that I can't qualify simply because I haven't lived here for 3 years prior to my uni.

Thanks! :smile:

Where have you been living and why? Are you sure you wouldn't get a student loan? If you really aren't eligible for a student loan then studying abroad is your best option.

Wittenborg University is a private university, that is never a good thing in Europe. It will cost more than Dutch/Danish public universities and their courses may not be recognised in the UK.

A degree from any public university in the EU will be recognised by British employers and you won't have trouble finding a job, indeed having studied abroad will probably boost your job prospects. I suggest you look here to find (proper) degrees taught in English in the Netherlands/Denmark:

http://studyindenmark.dk/portal#filters=degree%253Alist%3DBachelor%26SearchableText%3D
https://www.studyfinder.nl/search?fulltext=&TypeOfInstitution=&Institution.Untouched=&Qualification=Bachelor&EducationType=&ECTS=&StartDate=2017-01-24&Duration=&InstructionLanguage=English&callback_url=&rpp=25
Thank you for the detailed reply Snufkin.

My parents are originally Asian, so I was back living with them.

Can you please tell me if it matters whether it is a Bachelors degree with or without honors? In terms of job prospects. Because universities in Holland don't really seem to be offering Honours, or perhaps I overlooked that.
Original post by soniashahid95
Thank you for the detailed reply Snufkin.

My parents are originally Asian, so I was back living with them.

Can you please tell me if it matters whether it is a Bachelors degree with or without honors? In terms of job prospects. Because universities in Holland don't really seem to be offering Honours, or perhaps I overlooked that.

As I understand the Dutch university system, they don't have honours degrees. Degree classifications are based on numbers instead (so for example, grade 8+ is equivalent to a First Class Honours degree).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending