Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you get offered and interview for Nursing BSc, do you have to do the application (maths and English test) on the same day?

ALSO! can someone give me pointers on the interviews, and the type of level of maths questions that the test will have please?

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, Has anyone on here been asked to provide additional information in support of their application, for example, copies of certificates/ another academic reference? and if so how long should the universities take to let you know the decision? I applied end of Nov 16 and still waiting Should I be worried or do I wait it out? I've heard others have interviews coming up for the same course and university choice, what should I do? Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synthia77)
    If you get offered and interview for Nursing BSc, do you have to do the application (maths and English test) on the same day?

ALSO! can someone give me pointers on the interviews, and the type of level of maths questions that the test will have please?

Thank you so much!
    synthia77 Hey, have you had any interviews yet, or Maths and English tests yet?

Normally when you apply for Nursing through UCAS, universities will shortlist from application stage and invite prospective students for either maths and english test (once you have passed then they interview you or invite you to a selection day (which includes these tests and interview). It depends on the university really.

In my experience at London South Bank Uni I was shortlisted from application stage and invited to sit the English and Maths tests, I passed and was then invited to interview. At the Uni of West London and Uni of Bedfordshire, I was invited to a selection day where the tests and interview took place on the same day which is helpful if you live far

Which universities did you apply to? Any joy so far?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, synthia77 Also,

***In terms of interview preparation, I would say firstly relax and don't let your nerves define you as a person. Yes we are all humans and nerves are natural but go into your interview with enthusiasm and a clear open mind.

Easier said than done right! Well here's some news for you. My first interview was the hardest one because I didn't know what to expect but when I sat my literacy and numeracy test I did the best I could to the best of my knowledge and ability. That's all we can do right! When I got through to interview stage I was over the moon and I knew It wasn't over yet I still had to prove myself.

I would advise you to research the role of an Adult Nurse and know it enough to answer any question about the subject and use your transferable skills and personal qualities and skills. Research the specific skills, qualities and personality of your chosen career. Look at what's going in the media for instance shortage of beds in many hospitals at the moment what are the implications of this on patients/ staff, the local community for instance. Know your subject inside and out. They are not expecting you to be an expert but it's useful to know and understand the demands and pressures of a nurse and so on.

Another thing every university is different some will adopt a traditional interview style/ group exercise or an MMI - multiple mini interview or selection days. It's useful to know which style you will have to attend. Think about the questions you might be asked and situations that you might encounter working in the healthcare environment. Youtube is a good source or Google for looking for common interview techniques or questions. If you're required to sit these tests check the universities website they may have past papers if not google adult nursing entry exams you should find loads there from many universities.

As long as you're passionate about Nursing and you have prepared as much as you can in terms of practicing your essay writing skills, maths and possible interview questions and answers you will be absolutely fine. Read over your personal statement again and remember why you applied for Nursing in the first place.

Also check your email from the uni if you got one or details on UCAS Track, to find out what the interview will involve. Is it a selection day event/ are you required to sit English and Maths assessments, is it traditional face to face interview or an MMI - Multiple Mini Interview a bit like speed dating.

Just be clear on what the day will involve then you will be fine darling rooting for you!!!

Last thing again, Research current news in the media; crisis going on in hospitals and so on, be clear on your 6 c's know them inside out for example Courage - Having the courage to speak up for your patients and be an advocate in their care, make decisions in the best interests of patients and so on. NHS Values, NMC code, NHS constitution.***

For maths, BBC Bitesize is a great start the level they will be looking for is Level 2 Functional Skills or GCSE Maths at A-C
    Practice basic application of number such as Addition, Multiplication, Subtraction and Division. Converting metric units, learrning how to convert percentages to decimal and vice versa.

And finally good luck!

ReputationRep:
    synthia77 Drop me a private message if it's easier xxx

Good Luck, Hope you get offered a place soon!!!

ReputationRep:
    synthia77 Any luck so far?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.