Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it too much to resit all three AS Maths exams? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of resitting my C1, C2 and S1 maths exams but a lot of people said it might be too much.
    I got around 80 to 85 UMS marks for C1 and C2 last year and just under 80 UMS marks (around 75-77) for S1.
    I know that this is not bad but I want to aim for the highest possible grade I can achieve and my mum and my maths tutor has recommended me to resit these exams since C1 and C2 would probably be easier for me to do after I studied C3 and C4.

Would you resit the exams and have you heard other people do the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey_Donkey)
    I am thinking of resitting my C1, C2 and S1 maths exams but a lot of people said it might be too much.
    I got around 80 to 85 UMS marks for C1 and C2 last year and just under 80 UMS marks (around 75-77) for S1.
    I know that this is not bad but I want to aim for the highest possible grade I can achieve and my mum and my maths tutor has recommended me to resit these exams since C1 and C2 would probably be easier for me to do after I studied C3 and C4.

Would you resit the exams and have you heard other people do the same?
    If you've dropped a subject, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    If you've dropped a subject, then yes.
    Thanks for the quick response!

I'm taking 3 A levels including maths.
    The other two are normal writing exams with 1-20 mark questions and not like art or photography.

Do you think it is alright to resit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tajtsracc)
    It's completely normal to resits exams to increase your total UMS, hell I intend to resit C1 and C2 this year to get nearer to 100 UMS for both. You were a little short of an A for the S1 exam so it's really up to you if you want to revise for that exam again (thankfully I got around 85 UMS for D1 and have no desire of resitting that paper ) but I'd absolutely recommend resitting C1 and C2.
    Lucky you!! I found the S1 difficult last year and I wish I didn't have to resit it this year but I guess I'll end up resitting it.
    Do you know how much of S1 will count to the overall grade because I was told that core maths counts more towards the overall grade but I'm not sure how much of it does. (If that makes sense)

I've been doing C1 past papers and I find them soooo easy compared to last year and compared to C3 and C4!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tajtsracc)
    Every paper is equal. You need 480/600 UMS overall to get an A, which means 240/300 UMS for both years, 80/100 UMS per paper. You were a little under for S1 but you did get a little higher than that for C1 and C2, so if you completely smash your C1 and C2 resits and do well in C3 and C4, then resitting S1 isn't really necessary.
    Ohhh okay.

Sorry, I have another question
    I heard that if you resit and get a lower mark, the higher grade counts. Has his changed or is it still the same for the resits this year?
    I just wanted to check because a lot of the specifications and other things are changing for some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey_Donkey)
    Ohhh okay.

Sorry, I have another question
    I heard that if you resit and get a lower mark, the higher grade counts. Has his changed or is it still the same for the resits this year?
    I just wanted to check because a lot of the specifications and other things are changing for some subjects.
    Nothing has changed for maths. Your best result will be used to work out your grade. Many people resit C1 and 2 in your situation. It's not much work to revise for with the work you have done in C3 and 4. But don't make the mistake of doing nothing to revise, there are several unique topics that you need to practice and your non calculator skills may be rusty.

Unless you are doing S2 don't even think about S1. It is too much to revise and hope to improve what is already an OK result. If you are doing S2 it won't be as bad to revise but consider carefully how it fits into your exam timetable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Nothing has changed for maths. Your best result will be used to work out your grade. Many people resit C1 and 2 in your situation. It's not much work to revise for with the work you have done in C3 and 4. But don't make the mistake of doing nothing to revise, there are several unique topics that you need to practice and your non calculator skills may be rusty.

Unless you are doing S2 don't even think about S1. It is too much to revise and hope to improve what is already an OK result. If you are doing S2 it won't be as bad to revise but consider carefully how it fits into your exam timetable.
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear that the best result will be used (I will still revise a lot and ty to get a better grade than last year!!)

I am doing S2 this year so I wasn't sre if I should do S1 as well... I have to make a decision soon but I'm just too worried!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.