Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want friends forever, is that weird? Watch

Friendship in this post refers to being genuine friends that make an effort to exist in each others lives? idk.. but basically not your standard person that youre on good terms with and you occasionally hang out with. a friend is something more than that... Okay so here is my dilemma: I like to think I'm a friendly out-going person and I find it quite easy to make friends.. even with girls (intentionally okay...). However, I find people always want to be my friends forever/long periods of time. Whilst I am always on good terms with people (I literally have zero enemies), whenever people get a bit too close or clingy I tend to gravitate away from them and make new friends. I like to make new friends and stay open in all my friendships and so I keep in touch with people through text and if I see them in real-life I'm always up for a chat and to grab a drink. But what I'm not ready to do is to stay in a continuous textual conversation because it gets boring and I want to meet someone else who is also awesome. Some people who are clingy say I fear commitment but I really don't.. I thoroughly enjoy being committed but I think people need to understand that life goes on and you're going to meet new people and have fun with them! When I do gravitate away from people, its not always intentional and they rarely notice. Also to note.. the people I dont meet in real life I tend to drift apart from more quickly and deliberately as I dislike long-distance friendships. I prefer to have a real-life conversation rather than text. What do you guys think? Am I just being a bad person?

Why do you need our opinions? Sounds like you're set in your ways and you're not going to change no matter what we think

ReputationRep:
    YNWA

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do you need our opinions? Sounds like you're set in your ways and you're not going to change no matter what we think
    Should've probably added... I have a guy and girl best friend but I expect they'll move on with their lives when we all go to University. I am always willing to change... I was just wondering if it was a good mentality to have

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.