Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my names Dan I'm currently studying Mathematics at the University of Chester (Thornton campus) and I'm currently having a constant inner battle with myself, first before I ask for people's advice I'd like to give some backstory. I'm from Leeds and at current I know no one from that area who've made the jump to come and study here, and making new friends is and isn't a hard task but I have managed to make a select few of friends who, even though I've only known them a while, have made the transition from a comfort school life to living all alone somewhat easier, so now for where I ask for advice...

My "inner struggle" as I like to phrase it, is that I can't help feel like I don't belong here, no matter how hard I try to convince myself, I love spending time with my friends, but there i also feel like there's gaps between a real connection and me clinging on to some form of hope for being/having a best friend, so my question is? Should i bear with it and continue on my journey and learn to grow up, or should I start asking and thinking about preperations to move to a university closer to home??

Thanks for reading all that, and any advice whether it's positive or negative i'd be most great full!
    Danny

ReputationRep:
    How long is your stay at this university?

If I'm being honest, what you're experiencing is very normal. Especially if you've never been away from home and are coping being away from familiarity for the first time. You'll have to eventually get used to this type of situation and imo, university is the perfect way to do so. Going out of your comfort zone and learning to be independent before being thrust into the "real" adult world will benefit you in the long run. You might get a best friend and you might not. It happens. It's no reason to pack up and leave. Not to get cheesy here, but growth comes from adversity.

If you're feeling isolated or lonely, it will likely pass in time. And if it doesn't, it will be okay. Focus on why you're there and push through. Before deciding on what you plan on doing, just make sure you weigh the pros and cons and if it's truly worth moving just for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    My stay will be for 3 years but it could possibly be extended I plan on doing a masters and then a PhD because frankly a bookworm like myself only likes the academics, so this is what I want to do, thanks for the advice means a great deal!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bartylad)
    Hi, my names Dan I'm currently studying Mathematics at the University of Chester (Thornton campus) and I'm currently having a constant inner battle with myself, first before I ask for people's advice I'd like to give some backstory. I'm from Leeds and at current I know no one from that area who've made the jump to come and study here, and making new friends is and isn't a hard task but I have managed to make a select few of friends who, even though I've only known them a while, have made the transition from a comfort school life to living all alone somewhat easier, so now for where I ask for advice...

My "inner struggle" as I like to phrase it, is that I can't help feel like I don't belong here, no matter how hard I try to convince myself, I love spending time with my friends, but there i also feel like there's gaps between a real connection and me clinging on to some form of hope for being/having a best friend, so my question is? Should i bear with it and continue on my journey and learn to grow up, or should I start asking and thinking about preperations to move to a university closer to home??

Thanks for reading all that, and any advice whether it's positive or negative i'd be most great full!
    Danny

Chester really isnt very far. The only thing you said is you dont feel like you belong, but not that you dont enjoy the course or the area or that you feel homesick. It sounds like a bit nondescript. You are lucky to have made the friends you have never mind a best friend compared to some of the posts on here with no friends and hateful flatmates.

Do a pros and cons list and make the choice. Also bear in mind what you can do to improve your situation and overall happiness (you dont say you are unhappy)

Look into what unis nearer home will take you, but wont the only place be Leeds where you cna live at home? Takes time to make your own life and be comfy with it but it does require some effort from you. Im not seeing big reasibs to move as you main complaint is it isnt home with your familiar friends.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dan, I'm from Leeds too and currently at Chester, and i did find myself agreeing with some of the things you were saying about struggling to settle or feel at home, but i guess it is just part of being at uni and adapting, it certainly has got easier for me as time as gone on and i started to view living in Chester as more long term than short term prospect.
    Have you visited home much or had friends from home visit you at uni, i have found that helped me a lot when i did not feel settled ?
    Also as for changing uni, is this because of the course or the friends, as surly changing uni would mean having to make more friends again ?

I have been told from many people that feelings you express are fairly normal and it is just part of the settling in process, i am sure it will get easier over time.
    Are you struggling to see yourself at Chester for another 2+ years or is it just the friend situation, one of my friends wasnt settled but getting her housing sorted for next year helped her to affirm that she was making the right choice in staying at uni !

I hope you have manage to make the right decision for yourself and do whatever makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a struggle only international students would experience
    Try being the only one from your country in Chester like me
    Maybe listing down pros and cons will help you. For me the courses content goes first so if you can find a better uni closer to your home go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.