Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do my average looking friends have boyfriends and my model looking friend is sing Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Mhm, in Romania the average height for women is 5'3.
    How tall are you?

getting close to midget height there.

(Original post by cbreef)
    I think what you're trying to say is that it's not that rare, that it's reasonably common.
    yes it is indeed reasonably common.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    How tall are you?
    5'3 :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    5'3 :rofl:
    naaaawh,

so tiny and cute

I bet you have to stand on a chair to reach the top shelves in the kitchen don't you?
    • Political Ambassador

naaaawh,

so tiny and cute

I bet you have to stand on a chair to reach the top shelves in the kitchen don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimboJones_)
    in my opinion the better looking women usually neglect the development of their social skills/personalities because they don't need to rely upon it in the same way other people do. this might be why she's not had so much luck. she might also just have very high standards

you say she's tall - how tall? if it's really tall, I can see this being another potential issue
    Or maybe it's that stereotype that makes it harder for better looking women to end up in a relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Good looking people are usually more stuck up and more picky

thats obviously why
    That's a misconception about good looking people that makes people less likely to approach.

ReputationRep:
    maybe she needs to be more accessible if you look at a porsche you think wow that's nice but it's not for me but you look at a ford focus and can imagine buying one

ReputationRep:
    Most guys probably think they're "out of her league" when **** like league doesn't even exist. Hence why most guys probably won't try and that's why she's single.

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    maybe she needs to be more accessible if you look at a porsche you think wow that's nice but it's not for me but you look at a ford focus and can imagine buying one
    That's not the same thing though, most people would choose the porsche if it was the SAME PRICE.

ReputationRep:
    there are many girls that height lol.
    http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus...lation_by.html

statistics don't lie my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil_)
    http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus...lation_by.html

statistics don't lie my friend
    Those are statistics for USA lol.

ReputationRep:
    Those are statistics for USA lol.
    yeah im sure that women in the UK are 5-6" taller on average

ReputationRep:
    yeah that'll do it
    that's probably tall to the point that she has very self-limiting height preferences
    I'm guessing you aren't the tallest?

5 ft 10 isn't too tall for men around 6 ft.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to hmu

If she's a gold digger tell her I got gold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    No 5'5 is
    Normal is not the same as average. And an average is very limiting statistic in terms of how much information it provides anyway.

Normal does not mean the most common, but that the height is not an extreme value. 5 ft 10 on a woman is tall, yes, but easily within the realms of normal. An abnormal height on a woman would likely be 6 foot 2 or along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I'm guessing you aren't the tallest?

5 ft 10 isn't too tall for men around 6 ft.
    it's still taller than the average man, I mean, I don't know what you want me to say - it's not a freakish height but it's not "normal" by definition

ReputationRep:
    it's still taller than the average man, I mean, I don't know what you want me to say - it's not a freakish height but it's not "normal" by definition
    Yes it is normal. See my previous post. I'm bemused that people don't seem to grasp the definition of "normal".

The average male height may be 5 ft 9, but the average does not mean that most males are 5 ft 9, does it? There's a significant amount of spread around that value. Many guys are above and below. Many guys are 6 ft+.
    A lot of girls explicitly prefer a guy to be 6 ft +. And that preference is not highly limiting because they are actually quite easy to come by (in England).

So it can easily be that the girl in the OP's description holds a similar preferences for tall guys. So in a nutshell, yeah some 5 ft 9 guys may be insecure about being with a taller woman, but it's likely she holds preferences for taller guys herself. I don't think her height is a valid reason for her lack of relationship.

And btw I'm not saying this out of bias, I am 5 ft 5 myself, and aren't bothered about height as long as he's 5 ft 7 or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yes it is normal. See my previous post. I'm bemused that people don't seem to grasp the definition of "normal".
    normal ˈnɔːm(ə)l/Submit adjective 1. conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected

5'10 is not "standard", "usual", "typical" or "expected".
    there's a difference between things existing and things existing in a state of normality. it is normal that 5'10 girls "exist" at all via the distribution of heights, but it is not normal itself as a specific height value. it's against the norm.

The average male height may be 5 ft 9, but the average does not mean that most males are 5 ft 9, does it? There's a significant amount of spread around that value. Many guys are above and below. Many guys are 6 ft+.
    A lot of girls explicitly prefer a guy to be 6 ft +. And that preference is not highly limiting because they are actually quite easy to come by (in England).
    what about heels

So it can easily be that the girl in the OP's description holds a similar preferences for tall guys. So in a nutshell, yeah some 5 ft 9 guys may be insecure about being with a taller woman, but it's likely she holds preferences for taller guys herself. I don't think her height is a valid reason.
    I never said 5'9 guy would be insecure, I said *she* would probably be insecure

ReputationRep:
    Is your friend a virgin

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.