Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, not sure if a backstory is necessary, but when I was in school I didn't attend much, so only passed 5 gcses. I had a gap year, due to 1. anxiety, and 2. not knowing what I wanted to do yet. After that I applied for a-levels. Turns out I need 7 gcses to do a-levels (which I did not know) so I took a "pre-a-level" course, which is just gcses in college instead of school. Today I got kicked out of college for not attending enough, which is fair enough, they did a lot for me and I still didn't attend (again, because of anxiety). I could apply again for next year, but I feel like I would be going 'round in circles. I have tried to get help with my anxiety, but that hasn't gone anywhere. (I have looked at btecs at my college and I qualify for none of them, and they would be irrelevant to me).

So, I was wondering, as an 18 year old, is there any way I can do gcses from home (online)? Preferably without having to pay, though I doubt that's possible.

I know if you are still in school you can do gcses online, but because I'm 18 now, I'm not sure what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    anybody? ):

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I don't have any specific information for you, I doubt that you could do GCSE or A-Levels online so how do you see progressing in both your studies and work experience? It's good that you're looking for ways out but if your anxiety is this severe then you have to deal with that somehow as soon as possible before you invest more time and effort into anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley7116)
    Hey. I don't have any specific information for you, I doubt that you could do GCSE or A-Levels online so how do you see progressing in both your studies and work experience? It's good that you're looking for ways out but if your anxiety is this severe then you have to deal with that somehow as soon as possible before you invest more time and effort into anything.
    Then, I guess I'd have to overcome my anxiety and go next year, but I don't think I can do that. I've had therapy and medication, neither worked. I went back to my doctor and all they can offer me is lecture-style stress talks (which I will go to). The waiting list for therapy is 2 years. ):

i've tried applying for jobs but since I don't have any work experience and not many gcses I never get accepted (and there aren't many jobs going either). Even if I did, I don't think I could handle it. I guess I just feel hopeless right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamalamn)
    Then, I guess I'd have to overcome my anxiety and go next year, but I don't think I can do that. I've had therapy and medication, neither worked. I went back to my doctor and all they can offer me is lecture-style stress talks (which I will go to). The waiting list for therapy is 2 years. ):

i've tried applying for jobs but since I don't have any work experience and not many gcses I never get accepted (and there aren't many jobs going either). Even if I did, I don't think I could handle it. I guess I just feel hopeless right now.
    2 years is a crazy long time but you have to consider what you want to achieve. You can't give up, I'm sure you have a lot to give So, just my humble opinion and suggestion, imagine what you want from life. No need for specifics. Think of generals such as happy family, nice car, enjoyable job, etc. Then work out what you need to achieve. Naturally GCSE and probably A-Level, maybe even university. You know that to perform there you must feel better yourself, so keep looking for answers. Yoga is very good for anxiety, and so is meditation. Have a look at that on the internet. I recently felt hopeless but I retained my focus, even though it was challenging at times, and I got what I wanted. Just hang in there, keep seeking help, fight your anxiety. Feel free to message me if you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley7116)
    2 years is a crazy long time but you have to consider what you want to achieve. You can't give up, I'm sure you have a lot to give So, just my humble opinion and suggestion, imagine what you want from life. No need for specifics. Think of generals such as happy family, nice car, enjoyable job, etc. Then work out what you need to achieve. Naturally GCSE and probably A-Level, maybe even university. You know that to perform there you must feel better yourself, so keep looking for answers. Yoga is very good for anxiety, and so is meditation. Have a look at that on the internet. I recently felt hopeless but I retained my focus, even though it was challenging at times, and I got what I wanted. Just hang in there, keep seeking help, fight your anxiety. Feel free to message me if you like
    Ahhh maybe you're right. I think I should look into yoga, since I'm sure it would help me physically too. Thank you for being so friendly. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamalamn)
    Ahhh maybe you're right. I think I should look into yoga, since I'm sure it would help me physically too. Thank you for being so friendly. (:
    No problem. I think that everyone has something they struggle with. Even Superman haha. You'll be alright I'm sure. Just focus on the end goal and everything will fall into place

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.