Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i’ve already received offers from westminster and lsbu, but i’ve also applied to study architecture at central saint martins & glasgow school of art and fine art and art history and goldsmiths. (i sent in my application later (after jan 15) to goldsmiths and gsa.)

it's always been my dream to study in london (i'm from the US) and i think central saint martins seems like a great school but i’ve heard very mixed reviews about it, does any1 have any info on what csm (as well as gsa and goldsmiths) are like in terms of credibility, facilities, teaching, ect?

i’m also considering switching my ual course from architecture to ba fine art, because i haven’t heard much about csm’s architecture programme and i’m not sure if it would be better to study fine art at csm instead?

ReputationRep:
    info dump of the stuff I found out at open days etc for u :

The people at the open day for CSM we're really really rude, didn't seem to want to welcome anyone or sell the school at all. It definitely strikes me as having more of a fine art vibe to it though. I've been told they don't even have a sculpture course anymore- what's the point if you can't be the girl from the pulp song?

Goldsmiths I didn't get a great impression of either, I spoke to a guy from there at a convention and he basically told me three very off-putting things: 1. 'yeah there aren't many tutors, and they're all really busy with other stuff' 2. 'you won't get any studio space you'll have to find your own' (which I'm assuming will be a pain in the arse and possibly v expensive) 3. 'we expect that you don't work for the whole course' (this one really set the alarm bells ringing, how tf are you supposed to feed yourself then?? kinda gives the impression they only want the rich and unoccupied)

I also applied to GSA, although they are HIGHLY selective (like 12% of applicants get in), I'll be over the moon if I get in there. I've only really heard good stuff about them, Glasgow as a city however...

I used to be obsessed with studying in London too, but I figured it wasn't worth the extra money and the accommodation hunting stress. Not too different from every other city in the UK (dirty, rainy, cold etc) except there's a buttload more people, it's a bit bigger and Topshop on Oxford street has a DJ.

ReputationRep:
    thank u 4 the response!! i've heard csm gives an off-putting vibe for a lot of people, which is disappointing. and i've been planning to study in london for a long time now so it's a bit hard to let go of but i might be better off somewheres else anyways. good luck w gsa also!!

ReputationRep:
    For architecture at undergrad I would say GSA has the best rep, and I imagine doing undergrad in London would be a bit crap and expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.