Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the irl interview stage with two software companies where I would be a paid intern doing software development. I'm also trying to plan how much money I need to raise for my potential year long exchange to the US. Does anyone know roughly how much money they SAVED from a 8-10 week summer internship? Even your hours / hourly wages would helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have they not told you what the pay is for it? Most internships are about £16k right? So take home after taxes on that is a little over £1100 per month. So 10 weeks would be about £2500 total pay.

How much you save though is going to vary wildly depending on your living costs, I wouldn't bank on saving a huge amount unless you're staying at your parents during it though, that amount of money is pretty much a basic living wage, I'd struggle to save more than about £800 of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    Have they not told you what the pay is for it? Most internships are about £16k right? So take home after taxes on that is a little over £1100 per month. So 10 weeks would be about £2500 total pay.

How much you save though is going to vary wildly depending on your living costs, I wouldn't bank on saving a huge amount unless you're staying at your parents during it though, that amount of money is pretty much a basic living wage, I'd struggle to save more than about £800 of that.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. Just didn't know even a ball park amount. I already live off of saved SAAS payments over the summer, so I will be able to save every penny aside from transport :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Amiibo)
    I'm at the irl interview stage with two software companies where I would be a paid intern doing software development. I'm also trying to plan how much money I need to raise for my potential year long exchange to the US. Does anyone know roughly how much money they SAVED from a 8-10 week summer internship? Even your hours / hourly wages would helpful, thanks
    Depends on the companies you're talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Depends on the companies you're talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's Exterity (Fife) and Simul8 (Glasgow)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.