Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Summer internship - how much will I actually make? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the irl interview stage with two software companies where I would be a paid intern doing software development. I'm also trying to plan how much money I need to raise for my potential year long exchange to the US. Does anyone know roughly how much money they SAVED from a 8-10 week summer internship? Even your hours / hourly wages would helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have they not told you what the pay is for it? Most internships are about £16k right? So take home after taxes on that is a little over £1100 per month. So 10 weeks would be about £2500 total pay.

How much you save though is going to vary wildly depending on your living costs, I wouldn't bank on saving a huge amount unless you're staying at your parents during it though, that amount of money is pretty much a basic living wage, I'd struggle to save more than about £800 of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    Have they not told you what the pay is for it? Most internships are about £16k right? So take home after taxes on that is a little over £1100 per month. So 10 weeks would be about £2500 total pay.

How much you save though is going to vary wildly depending on your living costs, I wouldn't bank on saving a huge amount unless you're staying at your parents during it though, that amount of money is pretty much a basic living wage, I'd struggle to save more than about £800 of that.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. Just didn't know even a ball park amount. I already live off of saved SAAS payments over the summer, so I will be able to save every penny aside from transport :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amiibo)
    I'm at the irl interview stage with two software companies where I would be a paid intern doing software development. I'm also trying to plan how much money I need to raise for my potential year long exchange to the US. Does anyone know roughly how much money they SAVED from a 8-10 week summer internship? Even your hours / hourly wages would helpful, thanks
    Depends on the companies you're talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Depends on the companies you're talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's Exterity (Fife) and Simul8 (Glasgow)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.