Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article 50 decision imminent! Parliament could vote. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    This is a totally made-up issue.
    It is an issue which is misrepresented.

It is difficult to see EU imposing a visa requirement on British tourists unless we impose such a requirement on some or all European states. We may wish to impose a visa requirement on tourists from some eastern European states but if we do, the way the Schengen system operates, the entire Schengen area will impose that requirement on us.

It is inevitable that a visa requirement will be imposed on UK nationals going to Europe (and vice versa) for reasons other than short term tourism.

There is a very strong tit for tat tradition in visa requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I don't think you are right. Can anyone help?

What do you call a logical statement that can neither be proved true nor false?
    Well there are lots of statements that don't admit of being proven true or false. Some of them we only call beyond our powers of investigation.

This one though is a counterfactual conditional.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly this.

France in particular is going to be the one to watch - if Le Pen wins, or just does very well, their government are going to go into overdrive mode on blocking inward migration, even if that means them dumping Schengen (now very likely) and imposing visa requirements on all and sundry (also quite likely) and making it hideous to cross the channel. (plausible)

I suspect the extremely expensive glittering investment that is the Trans-Manche Link or Channel Tunnel as we know it will quickly turn into a very long tubular shaped white elephant before too many years have passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    This one though is a counterfactual conditional.
    I'm no logician, but I thought that was mainly about past events, eg, imagining alternatives to things that have already occurred?

ReputationRep:
    I sense on this thread we are approaching, or have approached, the fourth stage of Remainer bereavement for the loss of their street whore, EU beloved; depression.

The anger is still there, but past its peak, they are still in denial but it gets day by day harder to deny to themselves the reality that we are leaving, they are going through the bargaining phase, their sad and doomed attempt to stay in the single market, but the Remain diehards on here sound increasingly weary and depressed, I must say.

How much longer before they finally reach acceptance? And give the rest of the country, which has become absolutely sick to the back teeth of them, a break from their moaning, whinging, wailing and stamping of tiny feet?

The Supreme Court decision was the last chance saloon. It could have derailed Brexit entirely by insisting that the Scottish Parliament had to approve. It could have imposed stringent conditions that delayed things interminably or made Brexit not mean Brexit.

It did none of these things. In fact it has cleared the way, we will trigger Article 50 at the end of March, and there we are, Brexit can't be stopped.

So now we have the depression stage, with the our great national debate reduced to a sad little whinge about possible visa requirements and a £30 increase in health insurance costs.

You have had your childish tantrum but really it is time to stop. Enough is more than enough. Can you all STFU please.

Reach acceptance. You know you have to. Suck it up, buttercup.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    I sense on this thread we are approaching, or have approached, the fourth stage of Remainer bereavement for the loss of their street whore, EU beloved; depression.

The anger is still there, but past its peak, they are still in denial but it gets day by day harder to deny to themselves the reality that we are leaving, they are going through the bargaining phase, their sad and doomed attempt to stay in the single market, but the Remain diehards on here sound increasingly weary and depressed, I must say.

How much longer before they finally reach acceptance? And give the rest of the country, which has become absolutely sick to the back teeth of them, a break from their moaning, whinging, wailing and stamping of tiny feet?

The Supreme Court decision was the last chance saloon. It could have derailed Brexit entirely by insisting that the Scottish Parliament had to approve. It could have imposed stringent conditions that delayed things interminably or made Brexit not mean Brexit.

It did none of these things. In fact it has cleared the way, we will trigger Article 50 at the end of March, and there we are, Brexit can't be stopped.

So now we have the depression stage, with the our great national debate reduced to a sad little whinge about possible visa requirements and a £30 increase in health insurance costs.

You have had your childish tantrum but really it is time to stop. Enough is more than enough. Can you all STFU please.

Reach acceptance. You know you have to. Suck it up, buttercup.
    Why have you turned from a fairly reasonable poster into a wind up merchant/ troll?

I'm no lover of the EU and now support leaving but the lack of genuine and honest debate on both sides has been sickening.

Why can you and others not accept that people are entitled to a different opinion and having one does not make them stupid or a whinger?

I miss the days when debates could be somewhat constructive. An exchange of ideas and arguments, rather than the low brow points scoring tactic which you're currently adhering to.

ReputationRep:
    It is an issue which is misrepresented.

It is difficult to see EU imposing a visa requirement on British tourists unless we impose such a requirement on some or all European states. We may wish to impose a visa requirement on tourists from some eastern European states but if we do, the way the Schengen system operates, the entire Schengen area will impose that requirement on us.

It is inevitable that a visa requirement will be imposed on UK nationals going to Europe (and vice versa) for reasons other than short term tourism.

Yes but it's almost as unlikely for the UK to get eastern Europeans to apply for a visa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    It's still a bit pointless. They've gone through all the hassle of legal fees to make a point about parliamentary sovereignty, which, in truth, is just a smokescreen for their attempt to frustrate the referendum result, only for Article 50 to be triggered anyway through a huge majority decision in parliament. It was going to be triggered either way, so I genuinely don't see any point. It will only strengthen the mandate for Brexit.
    dont matter that some ppl think its pointless, its how democracy works

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.