The Student Room Group

I'm seriously starting to have uni regrets. Pls help?

Okay so Study media studies and I love my course. However I think my degree is pointless, absolutely pointless.

At first, I didn't even want to go to uni. I just wanted to have work experience/internship/apprenticeship. Which I thought was best for me because of where I want to go into (media industry)...and I was correct but for some reason I still ended up going uni and I am starting to have regrets.

So as part of my degree I obviously need work experience but i have no idea how I am so supposed to get that now as the work load right now is ridiculous and I have to focus on that and the only way is to wait until my gap year, which I am fine with but tbh the earlier the better.

Don't get me wrong- I love my course but It is so draining and pointless. And I don't think I am doing anyway near as good as I think I am. (I know it's only first year and I will improve blah blah blah).

I think the "uni life" caught up with me a bit but it's no where like I thought it would be. I love my freedom but everything else is meh. Uni life is no where how it's like if you are introverted...I feel like I "don't fit in". I have met some nice people on my course but altogether I have only managed to make a few friends...which Is okay I guess but it's so difficult for me to meet new people.

Tbh I am thinking about dropping out next year and doing work experience or some kind of internship. I think uni is pointless unless it's a stem and if it is not a stem then they expect too much work ( get lots of work experience and get a 1st/2:1 ) kind of thing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
The TSR is strong with you.

1. The STEMM thing is a joke. It only really exists on TSR. Start with the STEMM thing in real life and people will be polite, but secretly thinking you're a numpty.
2. Are you really an introvert, or do you just like fitting into an alternative tribe? If you're a genuine introvert - media might well not be the career for you.
3. University is where everyone should be able to "fit in". Only having a few friends is more than good enough - as long as you build on it. The concern should be that if you can't build relationships and networks, your future is going to be a lot tougher than you might imagine. If you're looking at media - what makes you think in internship or placement, they want someone who is going to get their head down and quietly work like a dog without affecting anyone else?
4. In the modern age, in a great many areas of work, a persons soft skills and network are at least as important as having a scientific degree - probably a lot more so. You might be looking at a field where they want people who can work together and creatively.
5. I would advise you to stop worrying about what you think your bad choices might have been, and stop navel gazing about your apparent introversion - if you want to work in media, you won't get there on a train that's travelling through TSR-ville.
Explore your three options and work out the pros and cons of each. This will require research and thought. List he issues and how you might solve them.

1. Leave- will an apprenticeship be better? What do you really want to do? Will doing a degree help you? Are there better options? Toy still have full funding for a course as you could use his as your gift year. You could do a different subject elsewhere if need be.
2. Suspend studies- Go away and take some time to think what you want. Return to the same course if you want or do not return at all. You arent very advanced, so they might make you srar first year again unless you completed the first year.
3. Stay- learn to make more friends- learn how to get work experience- learn how to study smarter.- learn what you cna use your degree for by research at the careers centre.

I cant work out whether you just sound completely unprepared or just dont wnat to make the effort. the importnat thing is do not let it drag on if you know its not what you wnat otherwise you will just have three years of a not very ood experience and perform poorly, which will just leave you with a lot of debt. You still have funding for a full degree if you leave as you get a gift year. You can return to uni later in life when you are ready. Talk to your tutor and careers plus student support.
Reply 3
Original post by Trinculo
The TSR is strong with you.

1. The STEMM thing is a joke. It only really exists on TSR. Start with the STEMM thing in real life and people will be polite, but secretly thinking you're a numpty.
2. Are you really an introvert, or do you just like fitting into an alternative tribe? If you're a genuine introvert - media might well not be the career for you.
3. University is where everyone should be able to "fit in". Only having a few friends is more than good enough - as long as you build on it. The concern should be that if you can't build relationships and networks, your future is going to be a lot tougher than you might imagine. If you're looking at media - what makes you think in internship or placement, they want someone who is going to get their head down and quietly work like a dog without affecting anyone else?
4. In the modern age, in a great many areas of work, a persons soft skills and network are at least as important as having a scientific degree - probably a lot more so. You might be looking at a field where they want people who can work together and creatively.
5. I would advise you to stop worrying about what you think your bad choices might have been, and stop navel gazing about your apparent introversion - if you want to work in media, you won't get there on a train that's travelling through TSR-ville.

Although I am introverted I can definately work very well in groups with other people. I did two assignments in groups and I worked very well and contributed a lot. However my main point wasn't that at all. I can live with having no "uni life". My main problem is that my degree is a waste of time when I can get an internship and end up where I want instead of a degree.
Original post by loveleest
Although I am introverted I can definately work very well in groups with other people. I did two assignments in groups and I worked very well and contributed a lot. However my main point wasn't that at all. I can live with having no "uni life". My main problem is that my degree is a waste of time when I can get an internship and end up where I want instead of a degree.

A lot of people used to think that and were wrong. Some places need "a degree" no matter what. Additionally, university is so much more than a piece of paper. It's where you're supposed to grow, meet people and experience things that will last you the rest of your life; in a time when you're not supposed to have to hold down full time work or have a family.

Go to careers and work out what you can do with a media degree.
Work out what career you wnat and whether people needed a degree.

If you cna do the same without a degree, then do that and save the money. Its a simple pros and cons lists, but you have to do the research.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/media-studies
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Go to careers and work out what you can do with a media degree.
Work out what career you wnat and whether people needed a degree.

If you cna do the same without a degree, then do that and save the money. Its a simple pros and cons lists, but you have to do the research.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/media-studies

Original post by Trinculo
A lot of people used to think that and were wrong. Some places need "a degree" no matter what. Additionally, university is so much more than a piece of paper. It's where you're supposed to grow, meet people and experience things that will last you the rest of your life; in a time when you're not supposed to have to hold down full time work or have a family.

Thank you guys for your input- much appreciated :smile:
Thank you guys for your input- much appreciated :smile:

I cnat get an angle on you as you seem to be drifting. If it were me then I knwo the answer would be to do research as the above and think it through. the research gives me the info I need to know to make the decusion. Consider each opuion as suggested above.

You need to work out whether its just nerves and you cna make it into soemthing you wnat, study harder make more friends etc or whether you are drifting onto a degree because ist what everyone else did. You cnat be lazy and need to get to the careers centre now.

You need to talk to people and push yourself to make the decision. Just becayse uni might not be for you now doesnt mean it wont be in the future at a different place or subject. Dont be mediocre imo. You cna o and do an apprenticeship and still come back to uni. just find a good apprenticeship.

Worst thing is spend 3 years for a course you didnt like and just stumnled into £50,000 worth of debt.
Okay so Study media studies and I love my course. However I think my degree is pointless, absolutely pointless.

At first, I didn't even want to go to uni. I just wanted to have work experience/internship/apprenticeship. Which I thought was best for me because of where I want to go into (media industry)...and I was correct but for some reason I still ended up going uni and I am starting to have regrets.

So as part of my degree I obviously need work experience but i have no idea how I am so supposed to get that now as the work load right now is ridiculous and I have to focus on that and the only way is to wait until my gap year, which I am fine with but tbh the earlier the better.

Don't get me wrong- I love my course but It is so draining and pointless. And I don't think I am doing anyway near as good as I think I am. (I know it's only first year and I will improve blah blah blah).

I think the "uni life" caught up with me a bit but it's no where like I thought it would be. I love my freedom but everything else is meh. Uni life is no where how it's like if you are introverted...I feel like I "don't fit in". I have met some nice people on my course but altogether I have only managed to make a few friends...which Is okay I guess but it's so difficult for me to meet new people.

Tbh I am thinking about dropping out next year and doing work experience or some kind of internship. I think uni is pointless unless it's a stem and if it is not a stem then they expect too much work ( get lots of work experience and get a 1st/2:1 ) kind of thing.

Sorry to hear that you're having doubts about uni and you're not sure what to do with your degree. I did a media based degree (theory more than practical) and I have to admit, I went though a similar phase where I was unsure what I could do with my degree. I had previously received offers to study English at a few RG unis, but my love for film and new media resulted in me changing my subject. After my first year, although I loved my course, I was really worried about what jobs I could get after I graduated/ However, I soon found that there are plenty of jobs that you can do with a media based degree. We live in a digital world and the media sector is booming and forever evolving. You can work in social media, PR, marketing, journalism or more practical areas like video production or broadcasting. If you find a module or area that you particularity like, explore that further.

Friends from my course have gone on to work for ITV, have award winning blogs and have become marketing managers. As you may have guessed already, I currently work for The Student Room in the B2C marketing and content department and love it. Do what you are passionate about and you will succeed, trust me.

What I would advise however, is do some internships or work experience during the summer. Not only will look great on your CV but it will also allow you to see what's out there.

No degree is useless and if you graduate and decide that a media based career is not for you, you'll still have transferable skills that you have gained from your degree.

Good luck with it all and if you ever need some advise, send me a PM.
Reply 9
Original post by Danny Dorito
Sorry to hear that you're having doubts about uni and you're not sure what to do with your degree.
I did a media based degree (theory more than practical) and I have to admit, I went though a similar phase where I was unsure what I could do with my degree. I had previously received offers to study English at a few RG unis, but my love for film and new media resulted in me changing my subject. After my first year, although I loved my course, I was really worried about what jobs I could get after I graduated/ However, I soon found that there are plenty of jobs that you can do with a media based degree. We live in a digital and world the media sector is booming and forever evolving. You can work in social media, PR, marketing, journalism or more practical areas like video production or broadcasting. If you find a module or area that you particularity like, explore that further.
Friends from my course have gone on to work for ITV, have award winning blogs and have become marketing managers.
As you may have guessed already, I currently work for The Student Room in the B2C marketing and content department and love it.
Do what you are passionate about and you will succeed, trust me.
What I would advise however, is do some internships or work experience during the summer. Not only will look great on your CV but it will also allow you to see what's out there.
No degree is useless and if you graduate and decide that a media based career is not for you, you'll still have transferable skills that you have gained from your degree.

Thank you so so much!
Original post by Danny Dorito
Sorry to hear that you're having doubts about uni and you're not sure what to do with your degree.
I did a media based degree (theory more than practical) and I have to admit, I went though a similar phase where I was unsure what I could do with my degree. I had previously received offers to study English at a few RG unis, but my love for film and new media resulted in me changing my subject. After my first year, although I loved my course, I was really worried about what jobs I could get after I graduated/ However, I soon found that there are plenty of jobs that you can do with a media based degree. We live in a digital and world the media sector is booming and forever evolving. You can work in social media, PR, marketing, journalism or more practical areas like video production or broadcasting. If you find a module or area that you particularity like, explore that further.
Friends from my course have gone on to work for ITV, have award winning blogs and have become marketing managers.
As you may have guessed already, I currently work for The Student Room in the B2C marketing and content department and love it.
Do what you are passionate about and you will succeed, trust me.
|Give this man a raise!!! (I want his job, stab him in the back really and reinstate me).
Original post by trustmeimlying1
|Give this man a raise!!! (I want his job, stab him in the back really and reinstate me).

Reinstate?
Original post by WhiteScythe
Reinstate?
She Ra, Puddles the Monkey and I got a little too friendly so to speak. Essentially I don't work there anymore.

I just want to echo Danny's advice about getting some internship/ work experience over the summer. I don't know any UK students who have managed to do internships at the same time as studying, but during the vacations (particularly the summer) there should be plenty of time :smile:

You mentioned the potential to drop out and do work experience instead - however many internships are now requiring you to be studying for (or already have) a degree. I also want to say I totally get you about the whole being introverted and struggling to fit in feeling - it's something I too have really been struggling with. My method of not stressing about it too much is simply to find other things to occupy me - sports, societies, blogging, and of course studying. I've never really been one for partying and getting super drunk, but there are loads of other ways of getting to know people - even if it doesn't sound like the "uni experience" (clubbing every night) everyone goes on about. You'll hopefully find that eventually you'll drift towards the sort of people you'd get on with - it took me three years but now I have a few close friends on my course :smile:

If you worry that your degree seems pointless, perhaps try applying it to something you are passionate about - e.g. making a short film/ documentary about local environmental issues or homelessness. Media studies also ties in pretty well to industries like journalism - why not start a blog about causes you are passionate about? Blogging is very low time commitment but a great way of building up a portfolio/ getting "work experience" without needing to find an employer :smile:
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by trustmeimlying1
She Ra, Puddles the Monkey and I got a little too friendly so to speak. Essentially I don't work there anymore.

:cookie:
Personally, I feel like you are more regretful of this because you may have fallen into peer pressure and just went to uni even though your heart wasn't in it (i.e. You didn't really want to)
I know I'd feel like crap if that was me "I wanted to do an apprenticeship why didn't I go for it...."
My best advice is just accept that it's happened, and using everyone else's advice think about what would be best for the future. I'd say carry on, make an effort, it's done now. If you still don't like it prepare to leave.
Original post by She-Ra
:cookie:
We'll always have Paris.
Complete the year as at least you'll get a HE certificate so won't have completely wasted your time, I was in your exact studying 3 years ago when I was studying film in Falmouth. Felt myndrgree was pointless so decided to drop out and move to a different uni to study a different degree. I just want to point out how many people I studied film with are already working in the industry. One is working for MTV, another for ITV, one works for a company which films live events for a number of different TV channels and one has been lucky enough to relocate to LA to film music videos and has also worked with Blink 182. It shocked me as I thought the degree was so pointless and I couldn't believe how many people were already employed in that area. Its completely up to you what you do and even if you do decide to leave if you found you needed a degree in a few years you could always complete it then. Good luck!
I am an electrical engineer [Masters degree - MSEE]. In that line of work, today, nobody is going to let you run a reasonably sized program [Over $3 million], without a masters. You probably couldn't get a job today (as an EE), without at least a Bachelors. That was not true in 1968, when i started, but it is now.

I don't know what the story is in 'media studies', because i've never played in that 'sandbox' - only the engineering one. I have seen a lot of ppl doing degrees in "History", "English", "Art Appreciation", etc. They paid a lot of money, spent a lot of time [from where i sit, with a MSEE, it looks as though the money and time/effort expended by them is comparable to what would have been required to get an equivalent engineering or IT degree. They have, however, found it much more difficult to get/hold jobs, and their income has been much less. Good luck!! IMHO, the main reason to go to Uni and get a degree, is to improve your 'saleability' and income, as well as job security. When things get tough economically, it seems to be those with a breadth of knowledge and experience that can shift into something where they can make a living. That doesn't always come with Uni experience, but sometimes it does. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest