Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Machiavellianism, narcissisism and psycopathy Watch

For some context I am currently 17.
    For the last year or so I have had a "suspicion' that my emotional response, values and attitudes (amongst other things) and significantly different from the people I surround myself with.

I considered the possibility I could have some form of personality disorders but since it never hindered me I never worried about it. Howvee recently it's been bugging me, I have been reading elsewhere and read they don't diagnose personality disorder until over 18 due to hormones playing a huge role, howeverr I do not know I found this is true,

I have a doctors appoint tomorrow and was wondering if to something I should bring up or not, and if I should bring it how should I go about doing it, it seems a rather ridiculous thing to claim to doctor you have a personality disorder if you don't.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was diagnosed with anakastic PD at the age of 18 in June 2015. I was the youngest PD patient in my area. I always knew I was different, my feelings and emotions quite strange, but I did not go to the GP thinking I had a PD, I thought I was just severely depressed.

I'm 20 now, and my PD diagnosis changed in early 2016 to personality disorder not otherwise specified, although it spreads over 6 personality disorders. :/ My number has increased, and with it my chances of therapy have decreased.

It is right that they don't tend to diagnose PDs in under 18s - unless it can be systematically proven that the symptoms of such a PD have been present in a child for 2 years or so. For adults to be diagnosed, symptoms must be present for over a year. There is argument that PDs shouldn't be diagnosed until over the age of 25 as our personalities etc are still developing.

I've never came across someone going to the GP and enquiring about PDs; most PD sufferers go to the GP for other reasons such as depression, suicidal thoughts etc and then the PD 'comes out'.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, it's probably not psychopathy, Machiavellianism, or narcissisism, as you put in the title.

The general rule, is that if you are concerned that you are a psychopath, you likely are not. Psychopaths do not care/concern/consider for the opinions of others (they have no empathy to do so) and therefore would likely not be concerned with the matter of whether they are a psychopath or not.

If you are worried about anything definitely discuss with your doctor though.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    For some context I am currently 17.
    For the last year or so I have had a "suspicion' that my emotional response, values and attitudes (amongst other things) and significantly different from the people I surround myself with.

I considered the possibility I could have some form of personality disorders but since it never hindered me I never worried about it. Howvee recently it's been bugging me, I have been reading elsewhere and read they don't diagnose personality disorder until over 18 due to hormones playing a huge role, howeverr I do not know I found this is true,

I have a doctors appoint tomorrow and was wondering if to something I should bring up or not, and if I should bring it how should I go about doing it, it seems a rather ridiculous thing to claim to doctor you have a personality disorder if you don't.
    Thanks for the response, however i was not planning on going to the GP for anything mental health related, just wondered if it was anything to bring up

(Original post by tippyto452)
    For the record, it's probably not psychopathy, Machiavellianism, or narcissisism, as you put in the title.

The general rule, is that if you are concerned that you are a psychopath, you likely are not. Psychopaths do not care/concern/consider for the opinions of others (they have no empathy to do so) and therefore would likely not be concerned with the matter of whether they are a psychopath or not.

If you are worried about anything definitely discuss with your doctor though.
    Thanks for the response, i must add (if it is not in my post already) this is not a "concern" or a problem more along the lines of curiosity and unrelated to what people think, more clarification for myself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.