Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Becoming disillusioned with aspirations/uni Watch

All my life I wanted to go to university and get a degree and then go into the workforce. Currently at a Russell group uni studying a traditional academic degree and applying for internships for the forthcoming summer. Recently I had met some old friends and family who achieved 2:2's and/or didn't go to uni/dropped out, some of whom are on the property ladder and others well on their way there. They have their own money and seem happy. I then got the realisation that maybe something you worked your whole life for wasnt all it was cracked up to be and that actually you don't need AAA and a solid 2:1 to have a good life. I think it was a coming of age process in the sense that you should keep sight of your goals and try to realise them, however ultimately life sometimes isn't fair and that it Dosent always work out how you want it to so its okay to do other things.

How do the people on tsr feel about this and has anyone ever felt similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All my life I wanted to go to university and get a degree and then go into the workforce. Currently at a Russell group uni studying a traditional academic degree and applying for internships for the forthcoming summer. Recently I had met some old friends and family who achieved 2:2's and/or didn't go to uni/dropped out, some of whom are on the property ladder and others well on their way there. They have their own money and seem happy. I then got the realisation that maybe something you worked your whole life for wasnt all it was cracked up to be and that actually you don't need AAA and a solid 2:1 to have a good life. I think it was a coming of age process in the sense that you should keep sight of your goals and try to realise them, however ultimately life sometimes isn't fair and that it Dosent always work out how you want it to so its okay to do other things.

How do the people on tsr feel about this and has anyone ever felt similar?
    It seems like you're saying university isn't all that its made out to be. If so, I agree. Universities are businesses at the end of the day. If there were more apprenticeships when I was younger I would have definitely done that instead of going to uni

The family and friends you saw might have only told you about the good points in their lives, because it probably wasn't easy getting to the position they're in today. Most of the time in life you're going to have to struggle to get to where you want, and that's completely fine, because it can be strengthening. There's nothing wrong with not going to university etc. but don't change your plans and goals just because some people you've seen might have done well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.