Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running - increase speed or distance first? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently run 5k 2-3 times a week. I do it on the treadmill at 9km/h so it takes me 34 minutes. I know this time is not great and I'm finding it a breeze now so need to push myself.

I sometimes run 10k and it takes me roughly 1 hour 6 minutes. I would like to start upping my distance to 10k twice and, eventually, three times a week.

Would it be best for me to increase my speed first and then distance, or the other way around? Or does it not really matter?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ideally you want to do both.

They'll be training programs on sites like Runner's World which are worth a look at for all abilities.

Personally, if you're running three times a week you want to do a speed session so short distance sprints; you'll want to do something around the 5k mark like you're already doing but at a quick pace; You should also then aim to run a longer distance anywhere between 10k & 10 miles at a relatively slow pace but don't go too long distance too soon.

ReputationRep:
    Just to put it out there, it would be far better to simply do intermittent high intensity running instead.

I.e. run as fast as you possibly can for a short while, and take a break. Far more efficient with regards to burning calories, it is less likely to destroy muscle mass as normal long-distance running tends to do and it's a bit less of a drag on your ligaments.

But then, 30 minutes of running three times a week is still actually healthy overall. It's just that it's perhaps not ideal. But then it also depends on what you like doing.

Also, intermittent high intensity running tends to help quite a lot with achieving higher max speeds.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the weather's good for a run outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I'm sure the weather's good for a run outside
    agreed - running outside is soooooooooooo much better than the treadmill

the best thing to do training wise is to include different types of work outs in your schedule rather than always running the same 5k, so some would be longer and some would be speed work and some easier ones - this is more easily done outside but some examples of types of work outs:
    1. easy run - for example the 5k you're doing right now, this is to keep your mileage up and recover, you can't go hard every day
    2. long run - if you can already complete 10k without walking then you should be running 10k and potentially more
    3. tempo run - a shorter distance, e.g. 5k, but you run faster than is comfortable the whole way but never so fast you can't keep it up
    4. intervals - intersperse a slow jog with short bursts of running very fast
    5. sprint training - on a hill or flat, sprint repeatedly and then walk to cool down between sprints

obviously you have way more options outside and it's much easier to do intervals but when I went to the gym the dreadmill had some programmes which included sort of intervals and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Either/or/both. Any progress is good progress.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.