Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is nursing really for me?? Second thoughts? Advice please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for reading and sorry for such a long post!

After studying nursing for 2 years, I left due to personal circumstances.
    It was my experience to date that pushed me to do my training, all I've ever done is caring and I love it!
    However when I was on placement I really struggled to cope with long days, I know this is apart of the role of a nurse and it's something I have to accept. I'm unsure with what I struggled with, I think it was the fact I was used as a hca for the majority of my training due to being understaffed and I don't think the standard of care given during the day is good quality (again, due to staffing and busy environment)
    I even find this now and that's why I prefer nights as I feel I can provide good quality care and do things properly.
    I really enjoyed my community placements! All of them! I felt as if I could learn more and give a higher standard of care as I had more 1-1 patient time.
    I know a lot of my issues come down to 1-1 timing, the standard of care being given and doing things properly but my ward placements have really made me second guess if nursing is really for me? Is this something I just have to bite the bullet and deal with until I'm qualified then follow my own path?

I think leaving the course has knocked my confidence massively but also prepared me for future education if I decide to go back. Saying this, when you enter something and it isn't quite what it seems and your confidence, I think it puts things into a new perspective which is why I'm having all these doubts about returning

Is this normal? And any advice would be grateful

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

It sounds like you are struggling a bit with this and I'm sorry about that. It can be difficult when things aren't what you think they will be like and that knocks your confidence. Think about whether you enjoy community nursing enough to get through the time you spend on wards during your training and then do what you enjoy doing. Or is there anything else you enjoy equally that's not nursing. While you're right that this experience has probably prepared you better for the future you don't have to be miserable doing something just to get through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Hello,

It sounds like you are struggling a bit with this and I'm sorry about that. It can be difficult when things aren't what you think they will be like and that knocks your confidence. Think about whether you enjoy community nursing enough to get through the time you spend on wards during your training and then do what you enjoy doing/ Or is there anything else you enjoy equally that's not nursing. While you're right that this experience has probably prepared you better for the future you don't have to be miserable doing something just to get through it.
    Thank you for your advice! You're right, just because I'm prepared I shouldn't have to stick at something I'm miserable with. I'm going to weigh up the pros and cons

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.