Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unhappy at college because of anxiety + depression Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for taking your time to read this, long story short; my depression and anxiety both came together about 5yrs ago when I was around 12yrs old due to friendly relationships which turned out to be non friendly after having rumours spread around the school and having to cope with minor bullying til the end. Because of this, I'm one of those people that sit in the class and don't put their hand up to contribute or don't speak clearly during a presentation. Recently, the depressed side of me has been getting the best of me, I haven't been to college for the past 3/4 weeks because of it and I have lost motivation to return and finish the two year course. The UK law requires a person to be in education til the age of 18, and I'm 11months away from that.

At first, the anxiety only occurred around other peers of the classroom; this was back in secondary school when the only people I had to worry about was those that were also studying the subjects. Moving to college, it seems as though even the teachers act like students, with half of them swearing around every corner and giving their students nick names for not understanding, adding to that, if a student does not understand the work, what most lecturers I have would do is humiliate in front of the class to get you to learn it. The anxiety comes in when I don't understand and I fear that the teacher might choose me out of all the students, and because of the anxiety being there, I lose concentration and can't focus in class... apart from the teachers, I also do not agree with the way the course has been structured. Why must I learn mechanical principles in an Electrical Engineering course? Also, one of the assignments from a microprocessor's lesson also required us to learn basic computer coding assembly codes... This also demotivates me and wants me to move from the college, however my parents will not allow me because they don't know I'm having to go through all this, and the only reason I go to this college is because it's neighbouring my brothers school. :L

Right now, all I want to do is drop out of this college and take on an apprenticeship, as under UK law, that is considered education.

Apologies for being selfish and thanks for any replies in advance. What would you do in a situation like this? I really wish there was a way to end everything.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I can relate - I'm in my second year of college and I've struggled with anxiety that's been getting worse recently, a lot worse. Towards the end of last year I decided I wanted to go to a music college instead for my second year but I never got round to it and I didn't have anyone to support me cos everyone said I needed to stay on at college if I wanted a good life etc etc, anyway I stayed on and I'm glad I did because now my boyfriend and I are applying for unis etc, however at the moment my anxiety is taking over a little and I haven't turned up to one of my subjects for a couple of weeks because I don't like the teachers or the course. I also have a minor panic attack every time the teacher is about to pick someone out to answer a question or something! Because even if I know the answer I'll go bright red and get stressed out. This academic year ends in June/July depending on what year you're in, but if you get to the end of it and hate it as much as you do now then I'd apply for somewhere else - you gotta do what you gotta do and not be unhappy! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Seems similar in some ways, however I don't have the motivation to go back unless the teachers change to my liking ~ and obviously that's not going to be easy as I can't get the teachers to change just because of me. That's why I thought taking on the course from another college may be a good option. Anyway, thanks for your reply! I'm happy that you we're able to get through it and were able to get to university. That's great progression

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.