Lion
    Fences
    Hell or High Water

Best Directing

Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
    Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge)
    Denis Villeneuve (Arrival)
    Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)
    Kenneth Lonergan (Manchester By The Sea)

Best Lead Actor

Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
    Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge)
    Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic)
    Casey Affleck (Manchester By The Sea)
    Denzel Washington (Fences)

Best Lead Actress

Ruth Negga (Loving)
    Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
    Emma Stone (La La Land)
    Natalie Portman (Jackie)
    Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Full list of noms here: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

ReputationRep:
    Pretty solid nominees this year must say.

Quick question: do people think that 'La La Land' is really deserving of all the praise and nominations or is it a pretty good film that's only getting all this love and award buzz because hollywood (and the academy by extension) loves films about hollywood?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinoah)
    Pretty solid nominees this year must say.

Quick question: do people think that 'La La Land' is really deserving of all the praise and nominations or is it a pretty good film that's only getting all this love and award buzz because hollywood (and the academy by extension) loves films about hollywood?
    I don't think it's a clear standout from the rest by any means

Thought the snubs this year were Amy Adams and Sing street. Not even best song nom there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    I don't think it's a clear standout from the rest by any means

Thought the snubs this year were Amy Adams and Sing street. Not even best song nom there
    I personally thought 'Hell or High Water' and 'Moonlight' were better films.

I agree about Sing Street being snubbed for best song and La La Land instead getting 2 noms.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised by the Amy Adams snub (although I think she's better in Nocturnal Animals than Arrival), as well as snub for The Handmaiden. But not a bad year overall. My predictions:

Best Picture - La La Land (but if there's any justice in the world Moonlight will get it)
    Best Actor - Casey Affleck
    Best Actress - Natalie Portman (but Ruth Negga and Isabelle Huppert are both solid contenders. Is it just me or increasingly, every year, the best actress category is far more exciting than the male counterpart?)
    Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali
    Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis

La La Land will probably win everything else. Kubo and the Two Strings I hope will win Animated. I need to start watching the documentaries too! They all look pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Surprised by the Amy Adams snub (although I think she's better in Nocturnal Animals than Arrival), as well as snub for The Handmaiden. But not a bad year overall. My predictions:

Best Picture - La La Land (but if there's any justice in the world Moonlight will get it)
    Best Actress - Natalie Portman (but Ruth Negga and Isabelle Huppert are both solid contenders. Is it just me or increasingly, every year, the best actress category is far more exciting than the male counterpart?)

La La Land will probably win everything else. Kubo and the Two Strings I hope will win Animated. I need to start watching the documentaries too! They all look pretty good.
    Life Animated should win best documentary, such an interesting and well made film.
    I'm also disappointed that Amy Adams and Sing Street were snubbed. At least Viola Davis, Dev Patel, Naomi Harris and Mahershala Ali got nominated (though that's likely to have been influenced by #OscarsSoWhite from last year).

La La Land should probably get best director and best actress, I enjoyed it less because of the awards/audience hype and because it was too long/not enough original songs. Chazelle's directing and Emma Stone's acting were the strongest elements to it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinoah)
    I personally thought 'Hell or High Water' and 'Moonlight' were better films.

I agree about Sing Street being snubbed for best song and La La Land instead getting 2 noms.
    I didn't enjoy Hell or High Water as much as most people and I still need to watch Moonlight. Will watch that in the next couple days

Sing Street is in my top 3 of the year so would have hoped for screenplay nomination and best song at least with Up or Drive It Like You Stole It

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

I agree about the best actress category, it normally just seems like a closer race whereas with best actor there's normally a clear contender to win. I'd be happy with any of the actresses nominated winning tbh, but my personal pick would be Isabelle Huppert (Natalie Portman is most likely to win though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    Life Animated should win best documentary, such an interesting and well made film.
    I'm also disappointed that Amy Adams and Sing Street were snubbed. At least Viola Davis, Dev Patel, Naomi Harris and Mahershala Ali got nominated (though that's likely to have been influenced by #OscarsSoWhite from last year).

La La Land should probably get best director and best actress, I enjoyed it less because of the awards/audience hype and because it was too long/not enough original songs. Chazelle's directing and Emma Stone's acting were the strongest elements to it.
    Yeah the diversity in terms of nominations is probably influenced by #OscarsSoWhite but I'm glad the films/performances nominated are actually deserving.

ReputationRep:
    I thought La La Land was amazing but not necessarily better then all the other films but how, HOW, did Suicide Squad get nominated >

ReputationRep:
    I, Daniel Blake was also obviously a snub but that would never have got nominated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)
    I thought La La Land was amazing but not necessarily better then all the other films but how, HOW, did Suicide Squad get nominated >
    For hair and makeup to be fair :lol:

And when you look at Harley Quinn especially, but also Joker and Enchantress then I don't see why it shouldn't be. I actually like how the movie overall didn't affect it's chances at winning a specific different category if it deserved it and find it reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    Some tough lists there, especially both Supporting Actor/Actress categories. Here's my predictions for some of the main categories:

Best Picture: La La Land
    Best Director: Damien Chazelle
    Best Actor: Casey Affleck
    Best Actress: Emma Stone
    Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
    Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Arrival
    Best Original Screenplay: La La Land

Spoiler:
    Show

Best Documentary Feature: O.J. Made in America
    Best Animated Feature: Moana
    Best Film Editing: La La Land
    Best Original Song: La La Land ("City of Stars")
    Best Original Score: La La Land
    Best Cinematography: La La Land
    Best Visual Effects: The Jungle Book
    Best Costume Design: Jackie
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond
    Best Production Design: La La Land
    Best Sound Editing: La La Land
    Best Sound Mixing: La La Land

Best Foreign Language Film: N/A
    Best Short Film, Live Action: N/A
    Best Short Film, Animated: N/A
    Best Documentary, Short Subject: N/A

La La Land wasn't my favourite film of the year, and it definitely live up to expectations for me, but I can't see anything but a La La Land sweep with maybe the odd surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot how great Michelle Williams and Lucas Hedges were in Manchester By The Sea (as well as Casey obviously). Really enjoyed the film. Also think it's interesting seeing the film as a counterpart to Nocturnal Animals, both dealing roughly with themes of male violence/grief.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    This is the first year in quite a few that I haven't seen any Best Picture noms, one of the pitfalls of my job! I'm glad to see Villeneuve get a bunch of noms for Arrival though, as far as I'm concerned all of his films to date have been worthy of at least the longlist of Best Pic or Best Director and this is the film I'm most annoyed that I've not had a chance to see on a cinema screen! I'm not expecting it to overcome La La Land but it's nice to see the films and director get widespread recognition. If it's half the film I'm expecting then I'll be happy!

Also glad to see The Lobster get a bit of recognition, such an enjoyable piece of weirdness :ahee:

Sing Street gets my vote for biggest snub of the year, not necessarily in Best Picture or Director but definitely deserves a nod in either Screenplay or one of the Sound/Score/Song categories.

At the other end of the spectrum, it annoys me that Suicide Squad can join 50 Shades of Grey in the list of garbage films that can now market themselves as "oscar nominated" because of a musicians hard work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.