Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm an EU student and I did a foundation course last year, and I received a letter saying that I am still entitled for student finance in year 2016-2017. (The total duration of the course is 4 years (Foundation year + 3 years BSc)

However, I suspended my studies this year and went back home in September, because I'm having a child soon. I didn't go to uni at all.

I also enrolled for one year of architecture abroad in 2010-2011 (but I withdraw after two months).

So my question is: if I re-apply for 2017-2018 to start my BSc from year 1, will I still be entitled 3 years of funding?

Also, if I start working before September, can I apply for maintenance loans, childcare grants, etc.? And if I'm not working before September, but I have a member of my family (uncle or cousin) who has been living in the UK for more than five years, can I apply for loans and grants (even if I'm initially not entitled to them)?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi kym2017

If you have 2 years of previous study and now want to do a 3 year course you will be eligible for funding from year 2 on-wards.

If you are are a migrant worker and work throughout your studies and can send evidence of this, you can apply for the maintenance grant and supplementary grants for the duration of your course. A family member in the UK would need to be a parent or spouse.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply!

But concerning the tuition fees loan, what if my university confirm SFE that I suspended my studies due to pregnancy, and that I can send an evidence of it... Will I be able to get funded for three years? Because I'm neither changing the course nor the university.

ReputationRep:
    Hi kym2017

Yes, if you have compelling personal reasons you were unable to complete the course, you can request to get this year of funding back.
    You would need to send evidence to show you couldn't complete it and a cover letter to explain. Please only forward this once you have applied so the application is there to work with.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks.

I've got a few more questions concerning the migrant worker loan:

1. When I go back to London in August and start working directly, can I apply immediately as a migrant worker or will I have to wait a minimum of time before applying? Because I'll be there before the start of the academic year 2017-2018.

2. How many hours per week minimum do I need to work to be able to apply as an EU migrant worker?

3. If I start a Job A in August, then change my workplace for a Job B in September and/or another month, will I still be eligible for the migrant worker loan? How many times am I allowed to change workplaces?

4. What type of contracts does SFE accept? Is it ok to work under a zero-hour contract as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hi kym2017

We usually ask for your contract and 3 months payslips but if you are only starting employment in August we would require a copy of your contract and August and Septembers payslips before any payments will be released.
    We will also require payslips evidence before your payments are released for the following 2 terms.

There is no minimum you need to work, but you must earn enough funds to show that you can support yourself solely on your income from employment. We look at this on a case by case basis.

You can change workplaces but again we will require a new contract as evidence. there is no set amount of times you can change employment as long as you are working to support yourself throughout your studies.

We accept Migrant Worker applications from students on zero hours contracts, but they will need to show they work sufficient hours to be eligible. This means, they need to work enough hours to support themselves without relying on student finance. As you have come to the UK to work as a migrant worker you need to be able to show you can support yourself.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If my CPR is accepted and SFE decides to fully fund me for the 3 years, can I change university (without changing the course), or do I have to stick with the uni where I started my foundation year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.