Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you interested in an engineering apprenticeship? Harry and Max are here to answer your questions!

Harry is an Electronic Engineering Technician for the Science and Technology Facilities Council. He maintains and develops state-of-the-art machines to aid development and research into science, which are used around the world in different research facilities.

Max is an Electronic Engineering Apprentice for Science and Technology Facilities Council. He works with high speed, innovative and state of the art electronics, from single integrated circuits to huge data acquisition systems. These systems are used in scientific research all over the world.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.

ReputationRep:
    any one here who does chemical engineering?

ReputationRep:
    Information on scholarships to Stanford for Indian IB students?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is the best reason to do an apprenticeship rather than study? Or did you do both? I'm not sure which is the best way to do it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Posted on behalh of member: SherMat10

Hello guys,

I'm currently in my final year doing engineering with management. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I could secure a placement or apprenticeship within an engineering field? I've been trying with Gradcracker and RateMyPlacement. One point to note is that I don't have any previous job experience so do you think I should take up a part time job, get some experience first and then apply?I'm really confused and need help. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gerryshon254)
    any one here who does chemical engineering?
    Hi Gerry,

Max and I do Electronic engineering. We speak to a lot of Chemical engineers on a day to day basis, was there anything we can help you with?

Thanks

Max and Harry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynn gweeny)
    Information on scholarships to Stanford for Indian IB students?
    Hi there,

Max and I work at STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in England. We do not have any information on scholarships to Stanford.

Thanks

Harry and Max

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie445)
    What do you think is the best reason to do an apprenticeship rather than study? Or did you do both? I'm not sure which is the best way to do it.
    Hi Jamie,

Max and I believe that the best reason to do an apprenticeship is to get experience in the field you're working in. We both do electronic engineering and we have worked with graduate engineers and they have struggled to grasp some concepts of the work we do, due to lack of actual experience.
    We both have completed our Level 4 and are working towards our bachelors degree, so we are both still studying. This is paid for by the organisation that we work at.
    I think ultimately it depends on you. If you want to jump straight into the world of work or want to start earning money then go towards an apprenticeship.
    If you want to study for an extra few years and get a degree then go to university.

Thanks

Harry and Max

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Posted on behalh of member: SherMat10

Hello guys,

I'm currently in my final year doing engineering with management. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I could secure a placement or apprenticeship within an engineering field? I've been trying with Gradcracker and RateMyPlacement. One point to note is that I don't have any previous job experience so do you think I should take up a part time job, get some experience first and then apply?I'm really confused and need help. Thanks for your help.
    Hi there,

Harry and I believe that showing an interest that goes beyond your normal working hours will go a long way in the eyes of an employer. That could be doing home projects in your chosen field will show that you are genuinely interested. Employers will not expect you to know everything and have loads of experience given that you have been to university but they will look for the ability and willingness to learn.

There are lots of great graduate schemes around in the engineering field, for example where we work at the Science and Technology Facilities Council, so definitely check this out.

Thanks,

Max and Harry

ReputationRep:
    Is the apprenticeship part of your degree or is it a separate thing that you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben344)
    Is the apprenticeship part of your degree or is it a separate thing that you do?
    Hi Ben,

During our apprenticeship we study level 3 and level 4 qualifications. At the end of our apprenticeship and If we are deemed good enough to get offered a job then it is most likely that the company will support us in further training such as going on to get our degree. STFC is very supportive in providing training and getting qualifications even if you do end up leaving the company one day.

Thanks,

Harry and Max

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your questions everybody! And thanks to Harry and Max for their answers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.