Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much in total do you spend on accommodation and then on food etc in a year?
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    aston uni students etc also feel free to reply

ReputationRep:
    Accommodation: At the moment I spend £513 a month. I live in Tennis Courts, which is a bit cheaper as it is self-catered and shared bathroom. Next year I'll be moving into a house and spending £352 a month, which doesn't include bills but those should come to about £10 a week.

Food: I do a online shop each week which tends to come to around £20. Normally I spend about £5 in Starbucks each week, but I don't really eat out aside from that.

Other things: I don't travel away from the campus, but at Birmingham we have a train station on campus which costs about £4 or less. I don't drink so save quite a lot of money on that, but if you do factor in buying drinks and tickets for events. Texts books can be very pricy, so it's a good idea to avoid buying these as most of the time the time you can get a copy from the library or get access to an online copy through the university. You may want to buy them i they are in demand on your course, and you know you will need to be using it a lot. The most I've spent on a textbook is around £25. Try and get them 2nd hand on eBay or Amazon. I try to save the rest of my money for things that I really need. You should take into account train fares if you will be wanting to go home as these can be very expensive depending on how far away you live. I live locally so I only spend about £8 going home for the weekend, once a term.

So in total, I'd say atm I spend around £600 a month including rent, which will go down to £500 next year, as shared houses are generally cheaper than student halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    Accommodation: At the moment I spend £513 a month. I live in Tennis Courts, which is a bit cheaper as it is self-catered and shared bathroom. Next year I'll be moving into a house and spending £352 a month, which doesn't include bills but those should come to about £10 a week.

Food: I do a online shop each week which tends to come to around £20. Normally I spend about £5 in Starbucks each week, but I don't really eat out aside from that.

Other things: I don't travel away from the campus, but at Birmingham we have a train station on campus which costs about £4 or less. I don't drink so save quite a lot of money on that, but if you do factor in buying drinks and tickets for events. Texts books can be very pricy, so it's a good idea to avoid buying these as most of the time the time you can get a copy from the library or get access to an online copy through the university. You may want to buy them i they are in demand on your course, and you know you will need to be using it a lot. The most I've spent on a textbook is around £25. Try and get them 2nd hand on eBay or Amazon. I try to save the rest of my money for things that I really need. You should take into account train fares if you will be wanting to go home as these can be very expensive depending on how far away you live. I live locally so I only spend about £8 going home for the weekend, once a term.

So in total, I'd say atm I spend around £600 a month including rent, which will go down to £500 next year, as shared houses are generally cheaper than student halls.
    thank you for a comprehensive write up.

ReputationRep:

sorry for a second quote, i was wondering where do you shop online. tesco?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wardogs5)
    sorry for a second quote, i was wondering where do you shop online. tesco?
    That's fine Yeah, I shop at Tesco, and from the vans that I see around Tesco is most popular. There is an Aldi and a Morrisons nearby, but I ind them a bit far to walk to from Tennis Courts if I'm carrying loads. It might depend on where you're living.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine Yeah, I shop at Tesco, and from the vans that I see around Tesco is most popular. There is an Aldi and a Morrisons nearby, but I ind them a bit far to walk to from Tennis Courts if I'm carrying loads. It might depend on where you're living.
    Thanks very much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.