Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How much in total do you spend on accommodation and then on food etc in a year?
    • Political Ambassador

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    aston uni students etc also feel free to reply

ReputationRep:
    Accommodation: At the moment I spend £513 a month. I live in Tennis Courts, which is a bit cheaper as it is self-catered and shared bathroom. Next year I'll be moving into a house and spending £352 a month, which doesn't include bills but those should come to about £10 a week.

Food: I do a online shop each week which tends to come to around £20. Normally I spend about £5 in Starbucks each week, but I don't really eat out aside from that.

Other things: I don't travel away from the campus, but at Birmingham we have a train station on campus which costs about £4 or less. I don't drink so save quite a lot of money on that, but if you do factor in buying drinks and tickets for events. Texts books can be very pricy, so it's a good idea to avoid buying these as most of the time the time you can get a copy from the library or get access to an online copy through the university. You may want to buy them i they are in demand on your course, and you know you will need to be using it a lot. The most I've spent on a textbook is around £25. Try and get them 2nd hand on eBay or Amazon. I try to save the rest of my money for things that I really need. You should take into account train fares if you will be wanting to go home as these can be very expensive depending on how far away you live. I live locally so I only spend about £8 going home for the weekend, once a term.

So in total, I'd say atm I spend around £600 a month including rent, which will go down to £500 next year, as shared houses are generally cheaper than student halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    Accommodation: At the moment I spend £513 a month. I live in Tennis Courts, which is a bit cheaper as it is self-catered and shared bathroom. Next year I'll be moving into a house and spending £352 a month, which doesn't include bills but those should come to about £10 a week.

Food: I do a online shop each week which tends to come to around £20. Normally I spend about £5 in Starbucks each week, but I don't really eat out aside from that.

Other things: I don't travel away from the campus, but at Birmingham we have a train station on campus which costs about £4 or less. I don't drink so save quite a lot of money on that, but if you do factor in buying drinks and tickets for events. Texts books can be very pricy, so it's a good idea to avoid buying these as most of the time the time you can get a copy from the library or get access to an online copy through the university. You may want to buy them i they are in demand on your course, and you know you will need to be using it a lot. The most I've spent on a textbook is around £25. Try and get them 2nd hand on eBay or Amazon. I try to save the rest of my money for things that I really need. You should take into account train fares if you will be wanting to go home as these can be very expensive depending on how far away you live. I live locally so I only spend about £8 going home for the weekend, once a term.

So in total, I'd say atm I spend around £600 a month including rent, which will go down to £500 next year, as shared houses are generally cheaper than student halls.
    thank you for a comprehensive write up.

ReputationRep:

sorry for a second quote, i was wondering where do you shop online. tesco?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wardogs5)
    sorry for a second quote, i was wondering where do you shop online. tesco?
    That's fine Yeah, I shop at Tesco, and from the vans that I see around Tesco is most popular. There is an Aldi and a Morrisons nearby, but I ind them a bit far to walk to from Tennis Courts if I'm carrying loads. It might depend on where you're living.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine Yeah, I shop at Tesco, and from the vans that I see around Tesco is most popular. There is an Aldi and a Morrisons nearby, but I ind them a bit far to walk to from Tennis Courts if I'm carrying loads. It might depend on where you're living.
    Thanks very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.