Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can engineering and/or economics students give me a realistic amount of hours of studying they are doing each week. Including lectures, classes, seminars and self studying (library etc.)

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MercrutioCaius)
    Hi, can engineering and/or economics students give me a realistic amount of hours of studying they are doing each week. Including lectures, classes, seminars and self studying (library etc.)
    Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. Currently I have about 11 hours of lectures every week, with 3 hours of labs every other week. This is similar to the number of contact hours in my first year.

The university recommends you spend at least an hour per lecture self studying. However this would result in a fair bit of work and I'd say it's best just to use your common sense and consolidate lectures only when it's really needed. But if you do less lecture work during the term it does just mean you end up having to work harder during the revision period so it's up to you how you balance your time.

The number of hours I work varies hugely week on week depending on whether I have lab reports/courseworks/exams, but I always have time for other things. Even though engineering degrees do tend to have a bigger workload, it doesn't take up your whole life!

Hope that helps and if you've got any more questions feel free to quote me!

Tim

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.