Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what point should you tell your family that you have a gf/bf? Watch

It really is something that makes me nervous - announcing to my mum that "I have a girlfriend now".

She'll want to meet her (which is reasonable) but I feel that my mum even though I am way over 20 now will make a huge huge fuss over the matter. Everything suddenly turns into a family event with everyone involved. There will be a very uncomfortable 'interview' vibe about the whole thing. I know She'll approve but i'm just really nervous.

My family are incredibly close and can be annoying at times with the lack of privacy and the *****iness (at times i've overheard terrible comments about people which scares me off even more). I can safely say I don't like a lot of my family. I'm just used to keeping my life private (i'm a very keep my life to myself guy), but this is something that is pretty big and something i will eventually have to 'announce' because I'm really in love at the moment.

When's the right time?

ReputationRep:
    the 20th time you have sex with her. lol jokes

ReputationRep:
    You should tell them when things start to get serious. Maybe after 6 months or if you want to get married. Or until they catch you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sounds cheesy but you will know when the time is right. Some of us tell out parents instantly and others don't tell them until if or when the relationship is serious e.g moving in together, getting engaged etc. I personally told my mum instantly as she is very laid back about that kind of thing plus she had met my bf before and had an idea were going to start dating anyway. My partner didn't tell his family for about a month since they were quite strict.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I told mine after 4 weeks of going out that I was dating someone

ReputationRep:
    You're way over 20 and you're afraid of introducing your gf to your family?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you feel ready, personally I'd do it when you're starting to get serious. Me being Asian, it was slightly difficult, I don't think I ever told my parents properly, but they had some sort of idea :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I usually tell my mum straightaway even if I just have a date with someone. Even when I moved out. I usually want to share the excitement.

I texted her straightaway when my boyfriend asked me out, along with a photo of the necklace he gave me at the same time.

When they ask you

ReputationRep:
    Tbh they could probably tell if your on the phone and they walk in and give you a wry smile

ReputationRep:
    whenever You feels right sunshine!?

ReputationRep:
    I don't :mmm: I'll be in a lot of trouble if they found out :yep::afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to do it when it feels right, but don't be too worried about telling people really soon! My dad's mum didn't know until after my mum moved in with him and my mum's mum was informed two days after they got married (and my mother was already three-four months pregnant by this point)!

ReputationRep:
    I'm ashamed of my family they make me feel guilty of being who I am.

So I would never want her to see my family, that would be an absolute red line for me.

ReputationRep:
    well i dont tell my parents when i have a bf but they usually find out but ive been with my bf for a year now and they dont know that im still with him and i like them not knowing cos otherwise they will just want to meet him and be asking loads of questions but i guess they;ll have to meet him if we move in together or get engaged

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.