Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Posting on behalf of MonroeX:

Hi everybody,

1) I am starting university in September 2017 hopefully so when do I apply for a student loan and what are the deadlines? If, for example, I'll apply after 1st of June, won't it be too late? On the link in the top passage it says that you can't apply for 2017/2018 yet.

2) Is there any competitive basis for applicants, or every applicant will get loan?

3) am I eligible for the loan if I'm a citizen of Lithuania, member of EU, I was born in Lithuania, but for the last six years I study in Russia and I don't have Russian citizenship? My home address in Lithuania, my parents live in Lithuania too.

4) if I have two offers, can I apply for the loan only for one chosen university, or both of them? I have one conditional offer, but I'm not sure that I'll finish with required overall grade. What will be if I'll get loan, but I won't get unconditional offer?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

Thank you for your help!
    Good afternoon,

Here is some information to answer your questions:

1) Applications will launch approx end Feb/beg March. You have up to 9 months after the start of your academic year (1/9/17) to apply before applications close.

2) There is no competitive basis for applications. Each application will be assessed and if eligible you will receive funding.

3) To be eligible for EU funding you must have lived in EEA/Switzerland for 3 or more years before the start of your course. Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to apply if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break e.g. parents working abroad on a temporary contract of employment. You would need to provide evidence of this temporary break.

4) You only apply for the loan once. Once the application is submitted, if you need to change the institution/course you can update the application with a change of circumstances form.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    Please, how much do i get for non means tested maintenance loan? how often is it been paid and how is it paid back?
    Thanks for you help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Posted on behalf of MM75:

I have been living in London for 5 years, but not continually (two gaps of roughly six months in my EU country of origin). I can prove this through my bank account, where it can be found my pays and my expenses. Unfortunately no payslips. I have also some tenants agreements and my name for over 5 years on the water bills of my main residence.
    Can i claim the maintenance loan in Wales? And in Scotland?

Thank you
    Good afternoon MM75,
    Eu nationals must be resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible for support if you can provide evidence that this break is of a temporary nature e.g. holiday, temporary work contract. Evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

I can only give information for Student Finance England and EU Student Finance Services. For maintenance loan in Wales you need to speak to Student Finance Wales and for Scotland, SAAS.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryam*****ious)
    Hello,

As a Dutch national who's been living in England for 3 years now (currently in yr 13) can I apply for a maintenance loan as a child of a migrant worker (my mum works 16 hours a week for about 2 years now)? I'm ap plying for a 3 yr BSc course.

Thank you.
    Hello veryam*****ious,

You can apply to Student Finance England for maintenance funding as child of a migrant worker. Your mothers employment information will be reviewed and a decision made re your eligibility. You would need to send the following evidence after submitting your application:

* Students passport or national id card
    * Parents passport or national id card
    * Birth certififcate
    * Evidence of parents employment (copy of contract of employment, last 3 months payslips, most recent P60 or most recent Self Assessed Tax return, last 3-6 months invoices with coinciding bank statements, evidence of Class 2 NIC contributions if Self Employed)

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belaa)
    Hi Julie,

My name is Izabela, I am a Brazilian citizen maried with an EU citizen (Italian), I live in Europe (Italy) since March 2015. I'd like to know if I am eligible for student loan from September 2017? If not, what about from September 2018? Thanks!
    Hi Izabela,

You would be able to apply for EU Tuition Fee Funding as the spouse of an EU National however you must have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for three or more years before the start of the course.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nubiahbella)
    Would EU nationals (students) who have been living (with their parents in the UK for more 5 years eligible for loan maintenance and university fees ?
    Good afternoon nubiahbella,

You would be eligible to apply for Fees and maintenance if you have lived in the UK for 5 or more years prior to the start of your course.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    Hi Julie,
    I'm currently 18 and stay in the uk for 17 1/2 years. I currently have only an EU passport.I planning going to uni in 2017/18.

My question is I'm classified as EU student or UK student?

ReputationRep:
    Please is Child Care grant means tested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abyz)
    Hi Julie, I'm 30 years old, I'd like to ask about possible student financing , I live in U.K. Since 2010 full time working, now was granted permanent residency and I would like to get a degree here. Thing is I already studied in Poland (equivalent to bachelors degree) when there was a "boom" for it ( unis, academies were getting money based on a number of people that got in to put it shortly ,in the end low quality , only paper ) and wonder if there's any way around that ? Because the the quality of these two systems can't really be compared, still it's called a degree
    Good afternoon abyz,

As you already have a degree qualification you can not get support for a new degree course here in the UK. You would be entitled to Supplementary Grants (parents learning allowance, adult dependent grant, child care grant) and Disabled Students Allowance if applicable. There are some exceptions if your new course is NHS course, PGCE courses or it leads to a qualification as a Medical Doctor, Dentist, Veterinary Surgeon, Architect or Social Worker.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    Please, how much do i get for non means tested maintenance loan? how often is it been paid and how is it paid back?
    Thanks for you help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADETOLA 84)
    Thanks for you help.
    Hello adetola,

Maintenance Loan payments are usually paid 3 times per academic year , normally at the start of each term. The amounts for a non means tested loan differ depending on your circumstances. Please see the Student Finance Calculator which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator to give you an estimation of your entitlement. For repayment information there is another live webchat at 3pm today, please repost your question then.

Thanks

Julie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADETOLA 84)
    Please is Child Care grant means tested?
    Hi Adetola,

Yes child care grant is means tested but is calculated in a different way to maintenance loan, it takes into account household income, number of children and marital status.

Julie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake_Chan)
    Hi Julie,
    I'm currently 18 and stay in the uk for 17 1/2 years. I currently have only an EU passport.I planning going to uni in 2017/18.

My question is I'm classified as EU student or UK student?
    You are classed as an EU national. You can apply to Student Finance England to get home student funding as you are an EU national who has lived in the uk for more than 5 years prior to your course starting. You can apply for Tuition Fee and maintenance support.

Thanks

Julie
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your questions. There's more information about what funding is available for EU students on our student finance zone. Or you can ask your questions in our daily finance surgeries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.