Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you a Welsh student thinking of studying in England? Phil is here to explain what student finance you can get.

Phil is a student finance advisor for Wales and has a detailed knowledge of Welsh student finance policy as well as repayment and further education. He is also a fluent Welsh speaker who is happy to communicate in the Welsh language.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

The third year of my four-year degree programme is a year abroad (compulsory). I understand that there's a special 'study abroad rate', which is higher than the usual maintenance loan. I have applied to study in the US, and I'm panicking a little bit about finance. I usually get about £6,000 in maintenance loans/grants each year. Will Student Finance Wales take into account the enormous change in the exchange rate since the EU referendum? Whereas in the past a student receiving (for example) £6,500 for their study abroad year would have had circa $10,000-11,000, the same amount is now only equivalent to about $7,800, which won't be enough to cover the cost of the year.

Will this be taken into account by Student Finance Wales, and higher loans awarded? If not, how are students expected to fund their study abroad years (particularly in cases like mine, where it's compulsory)?

ReputationRep:
    How does the finance work? I want to apply for UCL but am unsure if I'd have enough to live on. On the UCL website they say that estimate living costs are £206 per week for accommodation and £50 per week for food and there will be few other things like toileteries that won't be much.

UCL estimate of living costs while there:
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...s/living-costs

How much would I get with the maintenance loan? Would I get a grant? I am not sure if I fit with the DSA because I do have history with mental health - self harm, suicide and anxiety.

But would I get enough to be able to study in London and at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Are you concerned about any changes?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have applied for a tuition fee loan from student finance Wales to pay for a part time C&G Advance Diploma in Hairdressing level 3. College told me to apply for the loan as I would definitely get it, I have had my application refused twice.
    Being told they don't pay for this type of course and that they only fund level 4 and above.
    But college is certain it is funded.
    Who is correct? College or SFW? I am so confused need clarity asap
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owain5)
    How does the finance work? I want to apply for UCL but am unsure if I'd have enough to live on. On the UCL website they say that estimate living costs are £206 per week for accommodation and £50 per week for food and there will be few other things like toileteries that won't be much.

UCL estimate of living costs while there:
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...s/living-costs

How much would I get with the maintenance loan? Would I get a grant? I am not sure if I fit with the DSA because I do have history with mental health - self harm, suicide and anxiety.

But would I get enough to be able to study in London and at UCL?
    Hello,

The amount of finance you get depends on your individual circumstances. Everyone is entitled to the Maintenence Loan which is a higher rate if you study in London due to living costs. However if you qualify for the grant which is based on your household income then the amount awarded will be taken off your loan.

Have you been on the Student Finance Wales website calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidiaMagpyr)
    Hi,
    I have applied for a tuition fee loan from student finance Wales to pay for a part time C&G Advance Diploma in Hairdressing level 3. College told me to apply for the loan as I would definitely get it, I have had my application refused twice.
    Being told they don't pay for this type of course and that they only fund level 4 and above.
    Thank you
    Hello,

Unfortunately Student Finance Wales will not fund a level 4 if it is classes as Further Education. However some Level 4 courses are classed as HIgher Education which we do fund. Based on your courses I assume it is Further Education. However that is an assumption. Please check with your college. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidiaMagpyr)
    Hi,
    Thank you
    It sounds like you need to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan (a loan to cover FE tuition fees) rather than university student finance: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/how-to-apply <= this explains how to apply (you need details from the college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorrier)
    Hi!

The third year of my four-year degree programme is a year abroad (compulsory). I understand that there's a special 'study abroad rate', which is higher than the usual maintenance loan. I have applied to study in the US, and I'm panicking a little bit about finance. I usually get about £6,000 in maintenance loans/grants each year. Will Student Finance Wales take into account the enormous change in the exchange rate since the EU referendum? Whereas in the past a student receiving (for example) £6,500 for their study abroad year would have had circa $10,000-11,000, the same amount is now only equivalent to about $7,800, which won't be enough to cover the cost of the year.

Will this be taken into account by Student Finance Wales, and higher loans awarded? If not, how are students expected to fund their study abroad years (particularly in cases like mine, where it's compulsory)?
    Hello,

Unfortunately we do not take them circumstances i.e. Conversiom rate into consideration. There is a set amonut that each student is entitled to per year and if you are doing extra weeks study etc. In relation to the travel grant it would only cover costs such as visas, medical insurance and vaccinations etc. Please see this link for more information. Thanks

http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._1617_en_d.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week 2017)
    Are you a Welsh student thinking of studying in England?
    This makes better sense than does "Welsh students studying in the UK", which is what it says on the homepage ('Today on TSR').
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your questions. We have webchats and surgeries everyday this week so if you have a question that hasn't been answered please take a look at our calendar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.