Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you eligible for student finance? by SLC Watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qzandpz)
    Hi, I'm 22 and the highest qualification i have is A-Level. Am i eligible for student finance? If so whats max amount i can receive?
    Thanks.

Hi, you could possibly be eligible for funding however we would require further information from yourself such as your higher education provider details,your age, residency details and previous study details.

If eligible funding avilable for a 2016/2017 student are as follows- Tuition fee loan of £9000

Maintenence loan which is assessed on details given in your application.

You can calculate your enitlement if you follow this link- https:www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amma82)
    Hi, I have been accepted onto a social work MA starting September (2017). I already have a postgraduate diploma and a post graduate certificate (both courses I self funded whilst working full time). The social work MA is full time so I won't be able to work full time and I don't know whether I am eligible for any student finance?
    Thanks in advance
    Anne-Marie

Hi, postgrade diplomas and certificates do not effect your eligibility for a postgradute loan, i would suggest you find out if you will be in recite of the social work bursary during your studies as this would make you ineligible for postgraduate funding at present. However in 2017/2018 this could change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Piper_)
    Hello. I am 26 years old and have already completed an undergraduate degree in Zoology from 2010-2013. I received a maintenance loan and tuition loan from student finance for that first degree. I have now been accepted onto a 5 year Veterinary Medicine bachelors degree programme at Liverpool University. Is there any funding available for a second degree, as this would lead to a professional qualification? I had heard you could get a means tested living costs loan. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you, Natalie.
    Hi, based on the information provided, and current regulations, as you already hold an equivalent qualification you would be entitled to a maintenance loan but no tuition fees. If you have any further queries regarding entitlement please call Student Finance England 0300 100 0607

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naimahh)
    Hi, I am currently an A level student, preparing to go to university this September being the first in my family. I was wondering what exactly does student finance cover and under what condition does the amount given base upon?

Hi, for a student studying in 2017/2018 funding available is as follows, max amount of tuition fee available will be £9250 for a public institution and £6,165 for a private institution. The maintenance loan will still depend on information provided by yourself, you can calculate you entitlement here- https:www.gov.uk/student-finace-calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    I am a mature student or will be I already have a degree which was financed by student finance etc.

On the Nus site it says if we get into Oxbridge we can get a college fee loan but student finance says that this is not the case what is the situation with that?

Hi, as you’ve already gained a qualification, we would need clarity on the course you are looking to study at Oxbridge and I would advise you to call Student Finance England 0300 100 0607.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a UK national. My son is not a settled person. He is on family settlement visa at the moment. He is studying in A level (year 12 in Manchester). He is going to apply for university (study medicine) this September (2017) to start university in year 2018 in Scotland. By September 2018, he will have spent 3 years with me in UK. Under the circumstances, will he be considered a home student for Scotland university and eligible for student finance as a family member of a UK national? I am asking this question as my son is living in England at the moment and I need to check with student finance in England. Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timb1999)
    Hello,

I am a European citizen from Germany who is currently living in Beijing, China and is applying in the UK. One of the key factors is my eligibility to student finance, because if I am classified as an international student I am unable to do so. I have lived outside the EU for 6 years now, but this is because of my fathers temporary employment with a german company. I can back this up with working certificates and his working contracts. My family still owns a house in Germany and pays full taxes there. I don't really understand how I could not be classified as European, simply because I'm going to school elsewhere because of my father. Could you tell me which category I should end up in (european or international). If I am a borderline case could you also tell me what further evidence I should provide to make a better case?

Thanks, Tim

Hi, from the infomration you have provided me I believe you could possible be eligible for EU funding. I would advise you apply as an EU student and send the evidence you’ve stated to show your break outside the EU is of a temporary nature.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. What is the criteria to qualify for the EU migrant worker status?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know that I am elgible for funding from the SLC but my query is regarding my fee status. Im hoping to go to a university in scotland this september, given that Im a non UK EU (German) national and have lived in England for the past 7 years and also my father lives in Switzerland, will I be elgible for EU fee status in a scottish uni?, assuming I am then will be able to get funded for tuition and maintenance costs by the SAAS or the SFE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephanie Bell)
    Hi, as you already have 2 years previous funding we would take this into account when assessing your entitlement, the previous study calculation that would be applied is as follows 3+1=4 years funding – 2 years of previous study = 2 years funding. In this case you would not be eligible for tuition fees for the first year of your course however could be eligible for the remaining years.

If you were changing your mode of study to part time you could possibly be eligible for 16 years worth of funding.
    Thank you for the reply. Could I just ask; is it always the first year I would have to pay for or could It not be the final year? And also, why is it you get so many extra years for part time study as apposed to full time? (Is it just due to the amount of funding you get?) Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WQ 21)
    Hi,
    I am a UK national. My son is not a settled person. He is on family settlement visa at the moment. He is studying in A level (year 12 in Manchester). He is going to apply for university (study medicine) this September (2017) to start university in year 2018 in Scotland. By September 2018, he will have spent 3 years with me in UK. Under the circumstances, will he be considered a home student for Scotland university and eligible for student finance as a family member of a UK national? I am asking this question as my son is living in England at the moment and I need to check with student finance in England. Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Hi, I would advise your son calling us on 0300 100 0607 as i believe further information would be required to determine your sons eligibility.

ReputationRep:
    Bundle of thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionathebest)
    Hi. What is the criteria to qualify for the EU migrant worker status?
    Hi, in order to qualify as a migrant worker you would need to meet these requirements

• Be a EEA or Swiss National
    • Be a resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of the first Academic Year of your course.
    • Be a resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • You, Your parent/step-parent, or spouse/civil partner* must be working throughout their studies
    • Show you are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working continuously throughout your studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daimghuman)
    Hi, I know that I am elgible for funding from the SLC but my query is regarding my fee status. Im hoping to go to a university in scotland this september, given that Im a non UK EU (German) national and have lived in England for the past 7 years and also my father lives in Switzerland, will I be elgible for EU fee status in a scottish uni?, assuming I am then will be able to get funded for tuition and maintenance costs by the SAAS or the SFE?
    Hi, based on the information provided i believe you could apply as either a EU student through SAAS which i would advise you discuss with them in further detail.
    I also believe you could possible be eligible to apply as a home student as you have lived in the UK for over 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your questions. If we didn't get a chance to answer your question, we will make sure it gets answered in the morning. And thanks to Alison and Stephanie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andre F.)
    I'm Andre F. I was born in the UK and I am a UK passport holder. I attended nursery here and lived here until I was 5 years old. My parents were working here (my mother is a UK passport holder too) and we were owners of our house. We then moved abroad and lived in Europe until August 2015, when we moved back in to the UK. I am attending City College Coventry doing a BTEC. I have been offered a place in 3 different Uni. and now i have a question about eligibility for Student Finance,

- Can I be considered a Home Student?
    - Or am I considered only an EU student?
    - What am I entitled to apply for in terms of finance support?
    - Tuition Fees?
    - Maintenance Support?
    - DSA's allowance (as I'm Dyslexic)?
    - Any Scholarships?

I would appreciate to be guided regarding the above as when I rang student Finance England and Student Finance Non UK team i had contradicted information and I no longer know where do I stand.

Thank you so much Andre
    Hi Andre. Here is your reply from Stephanie:

Hi, I would advise you could possibly apply as a home student as you are a UK national who has exercised your right to reside, You could apply for tuition fees, maintenance, grants for dependants and DSA support. For DSA i would advise you will need a diagnostic report which needs to completed after the age of 16. In regards to scholarships you need to contact the universities to find out further information.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jer1998)
    Hi all, I come from Spain and I have lived in the UK for 4 years (it will be 5 in july) and I just wanted to ask how should I apply for the student loan. Should I apply as a EU student, EEA worker or UK student? Also, what is the criteria for each one? Specially the EEA and UK.

I also have a friend who came about 3 years ago and is also starting her university degree this year. How should her apply as? Do we have to apply online or via post?

Thanks in advance =)
    Hi Jer1998. Here is your reply from Stephanie:

Hi, I would advise you can apply as a home student to start a course in Sept 2017 as you will have 5 years residency in the UK, I would advise sending evidence of your residency however to confirm this information, evidence you can send is as follows: bank statements with regular activity signed and stamped by your bank, P60's, P45's, payslips, Letter from your previous and current schools on headed paper signed and dated with date specifics of your attendance.

Criteria for UK, EU and EEA migrant worker is as follows.

- UK nationals must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course
    - EU nationals must be an ordinarily resident in the UK for 5* years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course
    - EEA MIGRANT WORKER
    - Be EEA or Swiss National
    - Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of the first Academic Year of their course.
    - Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    - They, their parent/step-parent, or spouse/civil partner* must be working throughout their studies
    - Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    - Be working continuously throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

You can either online or via paper application that is entirely up to you. I would advise getting your friend to call us on 0300 100 0607 as we will need to ask further information in order to give her accurate advise

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.