Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you a parent wondering what you need to do to support your child through the student finance process? Our experts are here to help.

Chris has been working for Student Finance England for five years and is an expert at handling all types of enquiries.

Rebekka is a customer advisor and has been working for Student Finance England for a year and has a great knowledge of student finance policy.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week 2017)
    Are you a parent wondering what you need to do to support your child through the student finance process? Our experts are here to help.

Chris has been working for Student Finance England for five years and is an expert at handling all types of enquiries.

Rebekka is a customer advisor and has been working for Student Finance England for a year and has a great knowledge of student finance policy.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.
    Hi!

In terms of applying for student finance, if a parent's salary has changed dramatically - and this is not reflective of the prior household income - who do I have to contact?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me when we can start applying for finance for my daughter to go to uni this September please? She has accepted her offers and is now in a position to apply for student finance. Thanks
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Posting on behalf of JoanneG

do you have to have an offer to apply for finance and accommodation?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...udents-2017-18
    "Don’t worry if you haven’t accepted a place at university or college yet. You can apply using your preferred choice and update the details later."

SFE wont be able to advise on accommodation applications - deadlines and applications are handled by each university individually. It's up to applicants to make sure they've applied for both their firm and insurance places for accommodation within any deadlines (but it's against UCAS rules for a university to pressure applicants to firm a place early which is why most universities don't open applications until March/April and many wont allocate places until August).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguininspace)
    Hi!

In terms of applying for student finance, if a parent's salary has changed dramatically - and this is not reflective of the prior household income - who do I have to contact?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...udents-2017-18

What happens if my income has dropped since tax year 2015-16?

We ask for details of your income in the tax year 2015-16 because this is the most recent tax year where all the information is available.

If your income has dropped by 15% or more since then you can ask for the student to be re-assessed based on an estimate of your current income.

For us to do this we need you to fill in a current year income assessment form.

For students studying in academic year 2017/18 the form will be available from April 2017.

When the current tax year is finished we’ll contact you to get confirmation of your actual income, we’ll use this information to recalculate the student finance due for the academic year. We’ll pay the student any amount they’ve been under paid, and if they’ve been overpaid we’ll take that amount from their next payment. If you’ve given us current year income details for the last academic year we’ll use these details to work out how much student finance the student should get in their next year.

When you log in to give your financial details for the next year you’ll see a summary of what you told us before. You’ll need to accept the amounts shown. If your income has changed again you can send us another Current Year Income Assessment form when it becomes available.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm hoping to attend university this September and we was just wondering. Is it taxable pay that we have to declare or is full salary? Also when can we apply for student finance as on the website it says February.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdc31)
    Hi there,

I'm hoping to attend university this September and we was just wondering. Is it taxable pay that we have to declare or is full salary? Also when can we apply for student finance as on the website it says February.
    When you are completing you Assessment of Income, please include your Total Income, that's income without any deductions (including any pension contributions that you might make). The applications are due to open at the end of February/beginning of March. At this moment we do not have any specific dates, so please monitor the web site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cev454)
    Can anyone tell me when we can start applying for finance for my daughter to go to uni this September please? She has accepted her offers and is now in a position to apply for student finance. Thanks
    We are expecting applications to be open towards the end of February, beginning of March. Please keep an eye on [/b] around this time for an update.

Once your daughter has made her application and indicates she is looking for funding based on household income, you will be sent a notification email asking for you to provide your financial details by creating an account, or logging into your account, and clicking on Support an Application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Wheatley)
    When you are completing you Assessment of Income, please include your Total Income, that's income without any deductions (including any pension contributions that you might make). The applications are due to open at the end of February/beginning of March. At this moment we do not have any specific dates, so please monitor the web site.

So would I have to declare my own income as well as my parents even though I would be leaving my job in July so I wouldn't have this income in September? Do student finance work out how much tax my parents pay and base my finance on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdc31)
    So would I have to declare my own income as well as my parents even though I would be leaving my job in July so I wouldn't have this income in September? Do student finance work out how much tax my parents pay and base my finance on this?
    We do not take into account the students earned income. The only income the students requires to disclose is any unearned income from savings (i.e. the interest). This means that you will not need to worry about your income from your job. The funding that we will provide for you will be based on the total income of your parents. We do not take into account any tax that your parents pay.

ReputationRep:
    We do not take into account the students earned income. The only income the students requires to disclose is any unearned income from savings (i.e. the interest). This means that you will not need to worry about your income from your job. The funding that we will provide for you will be based on the total income of your parents. We do not take into account any tax that your parents pay.
    So i'm just slightly confused on why on the student finance calculator on the GOV website it asks for taxable income? Is this the total income you are talking about? Im just worried that I'm not going to get enough finance to cover my costs because both my parents work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdc31)
    So i'm just slightly confused on why on the student finance calculator on the GOV website it asks for taxable income? Is this the total income you are talking about? Im just worried that I'm not going to get enough finance to cover my costs because both my parents work.
    Yes, the Taxable Income is the same as your Total Income. This can also be referred to as Gross Pay.

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,
    Can I just ask whether the maintenance loan is given as one large payment at the start of the year or paid in portions every few months?

I'm planning on paying my accommodation in full on September but that would be impossible if I don't get the whole maintenance loan in full...

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Taxable Income is the same as your Total Income. This can also be referred to as Gross Pay.
    Thank you for your help. My dad has recently got a 6 month secondment at his work that may not be permanent. This means there is a £7000 a year difference which means his tax will be different. Can I put this years total income in, as this would result in me getting a more accurate amount of finance? As I dont want to be left short later in the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karlajojo)
    Good evening,
    Can I just ask whether the maintenance loan is given as one large payment at the start of the year or paid in portions every few months?

I'm planning on paying my accommodation in full on September but that would be impossible if I don't get the whole maintenance loan in full...

Thank you
    Payments will be made in 3 instalments throughout the academic year, in line with your term dates. Once your application has been approved, and about 40 days before the start of your course, your online account will provide dates of when you should expect to receive these payments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdc31)
    Thank you for your help. My dad has recently got a 6 month secondment at his work that may not be permanent. This means there is a £7000 a year difference which means his tax will be different. Can I put this years total income in, as this would result in me getting a more accurate amount of finance? As I dont want to be left short later in the year.
    So, OK... when you are submitting your parents income, we will ask for the income that they earned during the 15/16 tax year. So that's income between 6th April 2015 and the 5th April 2016. This is called the Tax Year. So with Dad having a 6 month secondment recently would suggest that this extra money he is or has earned would not be included in the 15/16 tax year but more likely to be included in the 16/17 tax year. So effectively you do not need to worry about this at the present moment

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if it possible to have the first instalment of student finance paid earlier, because it is usually done at the end of September, and the accommondation requires first 4 weeks of rent plus booking fee. And at current circumstances, I am not sure if I would be able to pay this amount. I will be going into my first year in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

You do not need to have any offer from the University to apply for funding. On the application we will ask you for the University and Course that you are intending to apply to. If you submit your 1st choice but then later need to change this to your insurance choice, then you can do so. As far as accommodation is concerned, this is normally a private arrangement between you and the provider. Again you do not need to have this in place prior to your funding application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguininspace)
    Hi!

For the 17/18 academic year, we will be looking at the 15/16 tax year earnings.

If the household income has increased for the 16/17 tax year, this would not affect funding the 18/19 academic year. However if the household income has decreased by at least 15% we can assess the expected earnings for the current tax year (i.e. 17/18). We would still need the 15/16 earnings as a comparison, these details can be provided online, but the Current Year Income form can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms.

At the end of the tax year, we will ask for proof of earnings, and for the following academic year, permission to use the previous years earnings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.