Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite songs based on historical events/figures? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm a massive fan of music, with many questionable but awesome choices in my playlists (Paracosm can confirm this, seriously) that covers a wide range.

Naturally, my music tastes cover a lot of different areas and subjects, which got me thinking do I listen to any music that is based on/about historical events/figures. I had to double check, but one of my favourite songs refers to the N.Ireland Hunger Strikes in 1981.

Does anyone else have any favourite songs based on/about historical events/figures?

ReputationRep:
    PSY - Gangnam Style.

It is an incredibly deep song about the tragedies of the Vietnam War. The song has a very peaceful and tranquil vibe to it. Has me in tears everytime I hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Ra Ra Rasputin
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    American Pie is quite a good one. Makes lots of references to the death of Buddy Holly and then lots of pop culture things from the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nterpretations

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever heard of Hamilton? LIFE CHANGING
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeachesXXX)
    Have you ever heard of Hamilton? LIFE CHANGING
    Heard, but not looked at yet. Mainly because I love musicals, I would get too sucked in, and then fail uni :rofl:

(Original post by Fox Corner)
    American Pie is quite a good one. Makes lots of references to the death of Buddy Holly and then lots of pop culture things from the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nterpretations
    Oh my, I forgot this song existed!

ReputationRep:
    1582 by Kazuya Kamenashi.

Written about Oda Nobunaga's death at Honnoji Temple in June 1582. It's always fascinated me that while the recorded version is sung from a woman's perspective (presumably Nobunaga's wife: Lady No) when he performs it live he switches up the lyrics in the second half and performs from a man's perspective (presumably the pageboy he was said to be sleeping with: Mori Ranmaru). I love it. :heart:

He did an absolutely breathtaking performance of it: for anyone interested. (Starts singing at 4 minutes in, but the build-up is incredible and really sets the tone).

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Sabaton :lol:
    Learnt more of history from them, then i ever did in school
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I'm a massive fan of music, with many questionable but awesome choices in my playlists (Paracosm can confirm this, seriously) that covers a wide range.

Naturally, my music tastes cover a lot of different areas and subjects, which got me thinking do I listen to any music that is based on/about historical events/figures. I had to double check, but one of my favourite songs refers to the N.Ireland Hunger Strikes in 1981.

Does anyone else have any favourite songs based on/about historical events/figures?
    ALL HORRIBLE HISTORIES SONGS :party:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.