Turn on thread page Beta

Favourite songs based on historical events/figures? watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm a massive fan of music, with many questionable but awesome choices in my playlists (Paracosm can confirm this, seriously) that covers a wide range.

Naturally, my music tastes cover a lot of different areas and subjects, which got me thinking do I listen to any music that is based on/about historical events/figures. I had to double check, but one of my favourite songs refers to the N.Ireland Hunger Strikes in 1981.

Does anyone else have any favourite songs based on/about historical events/figures?

ReputationRep:
    PSY - Gangnam Style.

It is an incredibly deep song about the tragedies of the Vietnam War. The song has a very peaceful and tranquil vibe to it. Has me in tears everytime I hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Ra Ra Rasputin

ReputationRep:
    American Pie is quite a good one. Makes lots of references to the death of Buddy Holly and then lots of pop culture things from the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nterpretations

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever heard of Hamilton? LIFE CHANGING
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PeachesXXX)
    Have you ever heard of Hamilton? LIFE CHANGING
    Heard, but not looked at yet. Mainly because I love musicals, I would get too sucked in, and then fail uni :rofl:

(Original post by Fox Corner)
    American Pie is quite a good one. Makes lots of references to the death of Buddy Holly and then lots of pop culture things from the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nterpretations
    Oh my, I forgot this song existed!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    1582 by Kazuya Kamenashi.

Written about Oda Nobunaga's death at Honnoji Temple in June 1582. It's always fascinated me that while the recorded version is sung from a woman's perspective (presumably Nobunaga's wife: Lady No) when he performs it live he switches up the lyrics in the second half and performs from a man's perspective (presumably the pageboy he was said to be sleeping with: Mori Ranmaru). I love it. :heart:

He did an absolutely breathtaking performance of it: for anyone interested. (Starts singing at 4 minutes in, but the build-up is incredible and really sets the tone).

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Sabaton :lol:
    Learnt more of history from them, then i ever did in school
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I'm a massive fan of music, with many questionable but awesome choices in my playlists (Paracosm can confirm this, seriously) that covers a wide range.

Naturally, my music tastes cover a lot of different areas and subjects, which got me thinking do I listen to any music that is based on/about historical events/figures. I had to double check, but one of my favourite songs refers to the N.Ireland Hunger Strikes in 1981.

Does anyone else have any favourite songs based on/about historical events/figures?
    ALL HORRIBLE HISTORIES SONGS :party:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.