The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My parents are divorced so how do I know which parent's income will be evaluated?
Reply 2
do I have to be sponsored by the parent that I live with?
I'd like to know if I could get financing for the first year of university.

So many uni's absolutely will not accept you into the second year. Period. You MUST do the first year even if you're way overqualified.

I already got burned once before applying to westminister, because they expected me to pay the Β£9,000 upfront. My loan got declined as I already had completed a level four course, and the first year in a lot of uni's is a level four.

Is there anyway for me to do the first year in uni if it's a level four? I did my HNC at college, but I took out a loan for roughly 5.5k for it. It's a level four.
I have previously completed a HND. I did not use SFE as this was paid for by the company I was working for. Can I still get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan if Ive never had one before? The undergraduate course Im applying for is in a different subject and I would start from year 1. Thanks
Posted on behalf of DamianaSola:

I was studying a HnC in Applied Biology (I got funding from SFE for it) but due to mental health (And the teachers putting me down) I only managed to pass 3 modules before I left the course.

I am a lot better now, it's been a few years and I'm really wanting to get back on track. I'm hoping I can get funding for a foundation Bioscience and chemistry course at a different university in a different city.

I really hope there is some way I can get funding for it as I feel I've had a pretty bumpy start in the career I want to eventually get to, and I doubt very much that I will ever be able to afford even a year of university without this headstart to get a better job.
Reply 6
Dear SFE advisor!

I have soon completed an HND course (two years) in filmmaking which I loved doing, but I have decided I want to focus more on acting, and now I'm wondering if I will be able to get funding if I decided to do a course in acting. I understand this might depend on the length of the course as well, as there are courses ranging from one year to three years. But I am just generally wondering if I am eligible for an acting course after I got my HND diploma and/or what the conditions for it would be. I might add that I am a EU student who've been a resident in England for just over three years.

Thank you for helping me getting an answer to these questions!
Linn
How does a maintenance loan work and what are the different amount of loans available for undergraduate students?
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
Are you wondering what you can get to support your studies? Ask Gerard.

Gerard has worked for Student Finance England for 11 years. He has an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of student finance.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Tuesday 7 February.

Most Popular Student Finance links

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Create an estimation of your funding.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
Find out how to apply.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
Find out the finance on offer for new students in 2017/18.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students
Find out the finance on offer for returning students in 2017/18.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance
Apply for Student Finance Online.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms
If you do not wish to apply online, all of our forms can be found here.
Original post by sopjoe
My parents are divorced so how do I know which parent's income will be evaluated?

Hi Sopjoe,

The parent who would support your application would be the parent you spend most time with.

Regards
Gerard
Original post by jamie445
do I have to be sponsored by the parent that I live with?

Hi Jamie,

Yes, we would take the household income of the parent you live with. If they live with a partner, we would also take their income into consideration as you are assessed based on a full household income.

Regards
Gerard
Original post by RadikulRAM
I'd like to know if I could get financing for the first year of university.

So many uni's absolutely will not accept you into the second year. Period. You MUST do the first year even if you're way overqualified.

I already got burned once before applying to westminister, because they expected me to pay the Β£9,000 upfront. My loan got declined as I already had completed a level four course, and the first year in a lot of uni's is a level four.

Is there anyway for me to do the first year in uni if it's a level four? I did my HNC at college, but I took out a loan for roughly 5.5k for it. It's a level four.

Hi RadikulRAM,

Due to the specifics of your query, it would be best for you to call our contact center to discuss your eligibility for further support. Please feel free to call us on 0300 100 0607 and one of our advisors will be able to clarify exactly what funding you would be entitled to receive.

Regards
Gerard
Original post by Ilickgirlsbums
I have previously completed a HND. I did not use SFE as this was paid for by the company I was working for. Can I still get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan if Ive never had one before? The undergraduate course Im applying for is in a different subject and I would start from year 1. Thanks

Hi,

If you have undertaken a previous course, regardless if you had taken support from us or not, we would take this previous study into account when calculating your entitlement for a new course. The best way to get accurate advice on this would be to give our contact center a call on 0300 100 0607 and one of our advisors will be able to help with your query.

Regards
Gerard
Original post by CJ
Posted on behalf of DamianaSola:

I was studying a HnC in Applied Biology (I got funding from SFE for it) but due to mental health (And the teachers putting me down) I only managed to pass 3 modules before I left the course.

I am a lot better now, it's been a few years and I'm really wanting to get back on track. I'm hoping I can get funding for a foundation Bioscience and chemistry course at a different university in a different city.

I really hope there is some way I can get funding for it as I feel I've had a pretty bumpy start in the career I want to eventually get to, and I doubt very much that I will ever be able to afford even a year of university without this headstart to get a better job.

Hi,

If you only attended 3 modules of the first year and have not studied any other higher education course at university/college then yes, we would be able to fund you to start a new course. We call this 'using your gift year'. This means that we disregard this year as a false start and still offer full support for the next course you would like to attend.

Please give our contact center a call to discuss this more specifically on 0300 100 0607 and one of our advisors will be able to assist with your query.
Original post by misslinn
Dear SFE advisor!

I have soon completed an HND course (two years) in filmmaking which I loved doing, but I have decided I want to focus more on acting, and now I'm wondering if I will be able to get funding if I decided to do a course in acting. I understand this might depend on the length of the course as well, as there are courses ranging from one year to three years. But I am just generally wondering if I am eligible for an acting course after I got my HND diploma and/or what the conditions for it would be. I might add that I am a EU student who've been a resident in England for just over three years.

Thank you for helping me getting an answer to these questions!
Linn

Hi Linn,

The funding available for you to start a new course would depend on the length of the course and the qualification you would obtain, as you have correctly stated.

I would suggest you contact our call center in order to discuss the specifics of your query - EU students line - 0141 243 3570
Original post by sunshine902
How does a maintenance loan work and what are the different amount of loans available for undergraduate students?

Hi Sunshine902,

The maintenance loan is assessed on each individual students circumstance. The household income can be taken into account which means I would be unable to advise on an exact figure, however I have listed some useful links which can help you to gain an idea of how much you could be awarded.

The maintenance loan is paid in three installments, usually one per term and usually at the beginning of each term. You can also adjust the amount you take. For example, you may be eligible for a higher amount of loan than you would like to receive so you can select an amount lower than the maximum you are entitled to.

For any further information, please call our contact center on 0300 100 0607.

Regards
Gerard
Hi, does your credit rating affect you getting student finance?
Reply 17
Original post by AngieDonnor
Hi, does your credit rating affect you getting student finance?

Hi, no, it doesn't

Ray
Reply 18
Tonight's live webchat is now closed.

Many thanks to everyone who got involved and to Gerard to answering the questions.

Good night!

Ray

Latest