Turn on thread page Beta
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Are you thinking about leaving uni, changing courses or suspending your studies? Ask Anam what you need to do and how it could affect your student finance.

Anam has been working for Student Finance England for two years, assisting customers with any queries they have about their application, evidence and their payments.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 8 February.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I started a degree course in 2009 but left 6 weeks into it due to illness. I did receive some maintenance loan and grant but didn't receive any tuition fee loan as I left the course before the tuition fee loan was due to be paid.

In 2016 I started a HND course but I want to leave after year 1 (with a HNC) and pursue a degree in an unrelated subject.

I know that you are entitled to one 'false start' and it is my understanding that my first attempt at a degree in 2009 doesn't count because of my leaving being due to illness, but I'm really worried that this won't turn out to be true. I don't want to have used up all my funding as I am finally feeling well and ready to pursue a full degree.

Could you tell me whether, based on this information, I would be able to get funding for a full 3-year degree course?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have firmed an unconditional offer to go to a new uni in September starting from year 1, however I wish to stay at my current university now and complete first year exams so I gain the experience, as ill be studying the same course in september just somewhere else, so do I apply for a new student finance application or do I apply as a continuing student and just state that ill be moving to a different university?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I enrolled on to a Masters course in September and will either be deferring for a year or withdrawing completely within the next couple of days.

I received my second instalment of my student loan today (SFE loan) and as I will be leaving without any of the loan going towards the second semester course fee, I wanted to find out if I will have to pay this back immediately to student finance or if this taken out within the usual repayments?

A masters loan is different to undergrad loan, it's not split in to maintenance and course loan/grant, it's just one lump sum that the course fees are taken out of and whatever's left is for living costs etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I know this question may have been asked countless times here before but basically, I am about to apply for student finance, my degree is about to start, probably I should have done this already. What would happen to my student loan if I either withdrew from the course or transferred to another uni?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippidee)
    Hello

I started a degree course in 2009 but left 6 weeks into it due to illness. I did receive some maintenance loan and grant but didn't receive any tuition fee loan as I left the course before the tuition fee loan was due to be paid.

In 2016 I started a HND course but I want to leave after year 1 (with a HNC) and pursue a degree in an unrelated subject.

I know that you are entitled to one 'false start' and it is my understanding that my first attempt at a degree in 2009 doesn't count because of my leaving being due to illness, but I'm really worried that this won't turn out to be true. I don't want to have used up all my funding as I am finally feeling well and ready to pursue a full degree.

Could you tell me whether, based on this information, I would be able to get funding for a full 3-year degree course?

Thank you

Hello there

Yes just to confirm, we will count your study in 2009. Based on the information you have provided, if you start a three year course you can apply for Maintenance Loan only in year one. For second and third year, you will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan.

However if you are able to provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons, you may be able to get an additional year of funding. For anyone starting a new course in 2017, we no longer issue a Maintenance Grant.

I hope this Helps.

Anam
    ���um���

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen1913)
    Hi, I have firmed an unconditional offer to go to a new uni in September starting from year 1, however I wish to stay at my current university now and complete first year exams so I gain the experience, as ill be studying the same course in september just somewhere else, so do I apply for a new student finance application or do I apply as a continuing student and just state that ill be moving to a different university?

Hello Jen

You will apply as a continuing student, and provide the new name of the university and course on your application.

I hope this helps.

Anam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryJD)
    Hi guys,
    I enrolled on to a Masters course in September and will either be deferring for a year or withdrawing completely within the next couple of days.

I received my second instalment of my student loan today (SFE loan) and as I will be leaving without any of the loan going towards the second semester course fee, I wanted to find out if I will have to pay this back immediately to student finance or if this taken out within the usual repayments?

A masters loan is different to undergrad loan, it's not split in to maintenance and course loan/grant, it's just one lump sum that the course fees are taken out of and whatever's left is for living costs etc.

Thanks!

Hello Rory.

Based on the information you have provided, you will pay this back a usual repayments and don’t need to pay this back immediately.

I hope this helps.

Anam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiorafael)
    Hello all, I know this question may have been asked countless times here before but basically, I am about to apply for student finance, my degree is about to start, probably I should have done this already. What would happen to my student loan if I either withdrew from the course or transferred to another uni?

Thanks in advance

Hello there,

Based on what you said, if you are starting a higher education course for the first time, you have one opportunity to withdrawn, transfer or start a new course without this having an effect of the loan your Entitlement.

You still have plenty of time to apply, you can make an application at www.gov.uk/studentfinance.

I hope this helps.

Anam
    �$��u�-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiorafael)

Thanks in advance

Hello there,

Based on what you said, if you are starting a higher education course for the first time, you have one opportunity to withdrawn, transfer or start a new course without this having an effect of the loan your Entitlement.

You still have plenty of time to apply, you can make an application at www.gov.uk/studentfinance.

I hope this helps.

Anam
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks Anam for answering our questions.

Did you know we're got daily surgeries where you can ask us your student finance questions? SFE advisors are available to answer your questions for the rest of the week.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.