Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    If you're thinking about studying an NHS course, Kim is here to answer your questions.

Kim works as a policy advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 18 years' experience.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 8 February.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have applied for a undergrad AHP degree in England. I have emailed both NHSBSA and SFNI (as I am resident in NI) and have been given conflicting information. NHSBSA have said I apply to SFNI and SFNI have said NHSBSA. I already have a degree (non-AHP) and so don't know whether I am eligible for funding and if I am for what?

Hope you can help.

C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdoyle)
    Hi
    I have applied for a undergrad AHP degree in England. I have emailed both NHSBSA and SFNI (as I am resident in NI) and have been given conflicting information. NHSBSA have said I apply to SFNI and SFNI have said NHSBSA. I already have a degree (non-AHP) and so don't know whether I am eligible for funding and if I am for what?

Hope you can help.

C
    Hi C

Thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear you have been given conflicting advice, but I hope I can clarify the situation a little more:

If you are intending to start a full time undergraduate level AHP degree at a University in England and the course starts at any time on or after 1 August 2017, NHS Bursary funding is not available to any students on these courses - the NHSBSA
    is no longer responsible for funding new students attending full time Nursing,
    Midwifery and AHP courses from this date.

Instead, we are only providing NHS Bursary maintenance support to the following groups of new students in 2017/18:

- Students on designated postgraduate healthcare courses in England

- Students on certain part-time NHS-commissioned courses at a very limited number of universities in England (students on these courses must be ordinarily resident in England and be eligible for tuition fee support from SFE only.)

- Students attending a Dental Hygiene or Dental Therapy course in England.

I can really only confirm what my NHSBSA colleagues will have advised you when you contacted them; and that would be to approach SFNI again - please feel free to use this response if it will be helpful to you.

Good luck with your chosen course
    Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    are there any bursaries at all available for nursing? what is the criteria if so?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been accepted for Graduate Entry Medicine. I am EU student studying for undergraduate degree in UK. Will I be eligible for NHS bursary for years 2-4 in future? Will I be eligible for student loan? Thank you! Marco.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kim,

Thanks for coming back to answer more questions - this is a brilliant resource.

I'm posting something again for general interest which sometimes comes up. When a student requires an extension to their course, or has to repeat some of it, is it right to suggest that the decision to fund the extra weeks is taken at a local level, by the LTEB - the Local Training and Education Board, in consultation with the institution? Although a student has an unlimited time in which to complete an AHP course, the maximum funded length is the length of the course plus a further 12 months?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've graduated uni 3 years ago after doing a BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies degree, however i don't think i have achieved the classification (2:2) needed to go on to do a masters in social work. I have realised social work is what i want to do and have spent a lot of time looking to see how i will be able to afford tuition fees as i have already had my full student finance loan. I have also came across NHS social work bursaries, does anyone know if i will be eligible to receive this to cover part of the tuition fees if i apply to a university to study a BA (Hons) social work as a second degree to start in 2018/2019?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom35)
    are there any bursaries at all available for nursing? what is the criteria if so?
    Hi, thanks for your question

The only NHS Bursary available for nursing courses in 2017/18 is for a very limited number of part time courses at one or two universities in England only.
    Students on those designated courses can get a maintenance bursary, but have to apply for a tuition fee loan to SFE.

Hope that clarifies the situation a little.

Many thanks

Kim Sephenson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusson)
    Hi, I have been accepted for Graduate Entry Medicine. I am EU student studying for undergraduate degree in UK. Will I be eligible for NHS bursary for years 2-4 in future? Will I be eligible for student loan? Thank you! Marco.
    Hi Marco, thank you for your question,

At the moment I can only really provide information for 2017/18 as future funding for healthcare and medicine courses is subject to decisions by the UK government.

If current NHS Bursary funding arrangements for medical and dental students
    remain the same for EU students you may be eligible to apply for a bursary or for your tuition fees in years 2 to 4 of your graduate entry course but I am unable to confirm whether this is definite at this stage.

I am sorry I cant provide a more definite answer for you.

Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Do you know what is happening for funding to train as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (the course is usually over 1 year, as you probably know) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Hi Kim,

Thanks for coming back to answer more questions - this is a brilliant resource.

I'm posting something again for general interest which sometimes comes up. When a student requires an extension to their course, or has to repeat some of it, is it right to suggest that the decision to fund the extra weeks is taken at a local level, by the LTEB - the Local Training and Education Board, in consultation with the institution? Although a student has an unlimited time in which to complete an AHP course, the maximum funded length is the length of the course plus a further 12 months?

Hi RC and thanks again for your queries and comments

That's right - currently the decision to allow an NHS-funded student to have additional funding is down to the local commissioner (LETB/Health Education England regional office) because they pay the tuition fees. NHS Bursaries can then make provision to provide some extra funding, but as you have correctly said, we are only allowed to provide a maximum of an additional 12 months support, regardless of how long the student takes to complete.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim Stephenson)
    Hi RC and thanks again for your queries and comments

That's right - currently the decision to allow an NHS-funded student to have additional funding is down to the local commissioner (LETB/Health Education England regional office) because they pay the tuition fees. NHS Bursaries can then make provision to provide some extra funding, but as you have correctly said, we are only allowed to provide a maximum of an additional 12 months support, regardless of how long the student takes to complete.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Kim - that's a helpful clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shan_lin)
    Hi guys, I've graduated uni 3 years ago after doing a BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies degree, however i don't think i have achieved the classification (2:2) needed to go on to do a masters in social work. I have realised social work is what i want to do and have spent a lot of time looking to see how i will be able to afford tuition fees as i have already had my full student finance loan. I have also came across NHS social work bursaries, does anyone know if i will be eligible to receive this to cover part of the tuition fees if i apply to a university to study a BA (Hons) social work as a second degree to start in 2018/2019?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Shan_lin

Thank you for asking about social work bursary funding.
    At the moment social work bursaries are still available to new undergraduate and postgraduate students in 2017/18 - you can find more information about them on our website at
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/825.aspx

Unfortunately, we have as yet no information about future funding for social work students from 2018/19. We are aware that social work bursary funding will shortly be subject to review by the Government, so I can only advise you to check our website from time to time until we are able to provide updated information. (This may not be until much later in 2017
    however).

Sorry not to be able to provide a more definite response at this stage.

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    Hi. Do you know what is happening for funding to train as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (the course is usually over 1 year, as you probably know) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi and many thanks for your question.

I am very sorry but as Psychological Wellbeing is not funded by the NHS I'm not able to advise. You may want to to contact SFE to see if they will be able to help you.

In addition, The Student Room has links to loads of helpful online information. There’s guides, films and factsheets and these can be found at:www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance

Just click on the ‘Resources’ button.

I am sorry I cannot answer your question but I hope the above will help point you on the right direction.

Kind regards

Kim Stephenson

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks to The Student Room for hosting this web chat and inviting NHS Bursaries to take part.
    Also a big thank you to all of you who posted questions about NHS courses. I hope I have been able to help some of you and good luck with your chosen careers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.