Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you a part-time student or thinking about part-time study? Claire is here to answer your questions.

Claire has been a customer advisor for Student Finance England for almost three years. She answers all types of student finance queries from students, parents and universities both over the phone and in writing.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 8 February.

ReputationRep:
    I started my biology secondary PGCE in September, and am really struggling due to a health condition and the work load. I am thinking of going part time. Does anyone know how that would affect my bursary and if this is possible?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Posted on behalf of emagic:

Here is the Story:

After my first year I had to repeat few modules.
    I come back as a "part-time student on full-time basis"(SF sees this as simply full-time) redo few modules and pass(full funding from SF).

Apply for funding for second year and I get it.
    Second year begins, halfway through first semester my mental health deteriorates further (generalised-anxiety and panic attacks) and I'm forced to take a leave of absence.

Went into treatment, it helped.

Reapply for student funding, my application is refused. Reason being I have used my "gift year" for my resits.
    Got a job and went uni part-time(only 2 modules) and paid for it myself.

Now(like this week) I was made aware by student union that I can apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and that I was(and still am)eligible for part-time funding.

Questions:
    How do I apply for CPR? Can't find anything official on-line. Already managed to get a letter from GP confirming that I couldn't attend during that period because of generalised-anxiety.

Is this true? Can I get funding for part-time?? I was ill-advised by student finance and my university before so I don't fully trust the advice of the student union. Hopefully I can.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be working as I do my MA. If I get the loan, I can manage to support myself financially, but I wonder what would happened if I was overwhelmed with the work/study-load and wanted to go part-time. I know the university would have no problem in changing that, but what would happen with the funding?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Posted on behalf of stace21:

I am currently doing a part time degree in business management. Is there any grants or extra funding available for part time students or do you just get your fees paid?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am a mature student and a lone parent, did an Access to Higher Education in Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences in 2014.
    I started Uni in 2015 and failed my first year (due to domestic abuse, but can´t prove because I did not report to the police).
    I want to apply for another University, as the one I was studying gave my abuser full information about my studies/status at University and I really can´t deal with them anymore.

So:
    1) Is it possible to apply for other University even if I have failed my first year?
    2) Do I have to do the exactly same course?
    3) Do I get student finance if I apply for PART TIME? (My son is 4 years old and as a parent I need to work and spend time with him.)
    4) How much tuition fee loan do I get for studying part time? I am looking forward to do 75% of the course work every year.
    5) Do I get any grant, like childcare, or anything when studying part time?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.chaps)
    I started my biology secondary PGCE in September, and am really struggling due to a health condition and the work load. I am thinking of going part time. Does anyone know how that would affect my bursary and if this is possible?
    Hi

It would be possible to go part time. Your funding may be affected though, so please call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can have a chat with you.

Regarding the Bursary, the best thing to do would be to speak to your Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hi are part time students that have children entitled to parents learning grant or any other help?

ReputationRep:
    `

(Original post by CJ)
    Posted on behalf of emagic:

Here is the Story:

After my first year I had to repeat few modules.
    I come back as a "part-time student on full-time basis"(SF sees this as simply full-time) redo few modules and pass(full funding from SF).

Apply for funding for second year and I get it.
    Second year begins, halfway through first semester my mental health deteriorates further (generalised-anxiety and panic attacks) and I'm forced to take a leave of absence.

Went into treatment, it helped.

Reapply for student funding, my application is refused. Reason being I have used my "gift year" for my resits.
    Got a job and went uni part-time(only 2 modules) and paid for it myself.

Now(like this week) I was made aware by student union that I can apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and that I was(and still am)eligible for part-time funding.

Questions:
    How do I apply for CPR? Can't find anything official on-line. Already managed to get a letter from GP confirming that I couldn't attend during that period because of generalised-anxiety.

Is this true? Can I get funding for part-time?? I was ill-advised by student finance and my university before so I don't fully trust the advice of the student union. Hopefully I can.
    Hi

Yes you can apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for both full time and part time.

If you have an application for this academic year already then you can apply for CPR now by sending in a letter explaining the situation to us, along with your GP letter. It may also help if you can get the uni to write you a letter to confirm it all too, and send that in along with everything else.

I hope this helps, but if you want to discuss this further then feel free to call us for a chat on 0300 100 0607

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonymuk)
    I am going to be working as I do my MA. If I get the loan, I can manage to support myself financially, but I wonder what would happened if I was overwhelmed with the work/study-load and wanted to go part-time. I know the university would have no problem in changing that, but what would happen with the funding?
    HI

As this is for Post Graduate Loan funding, I would advise you give them a call on 0300 100 0031 so they can chat to you about it

Sorry I can't answer this for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Posted on behalf of stace21:

I am currently doing a part time degree in business management. Is there any grants or extra funding available for part time students or do you just get your fees paid?
    Hi

If you started your part time course after September 2012 then we can only pay your tuition fees and Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) if applicable.

It might be an idea to speak to the uni and see if there is anything they can offer you in way of extra support.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickySM)
    Hi
    I am a mature student and a lone parent, did an Access to Higher Education in Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences in 2014.
    I started Uni in 2015 and failed my first year (due to domestic abuse, but can´t prove because I did not report to the police).
    I want to apply for another University, as the one I was studying gave my abuser full information about my studies/status at University and I really can´t deal with them anymore.

So:
    1) Is it possible to apply for other University even if I have failed my first year?
    2) Do I have to do the exactly same course?
    3) Do I get student finance if I apply for PART TIME? (My son is 4 years old and as a parent I need to work and spend time with him.)
    4) How much tuition fee loan do I get for studying part time? I am looking forward to do 75% of the course work every year.
    5) Do I get any grant, like childcare, or anything when studying part time?

Thank you
    Hi there

I'm sorry to hear of your past experience, I'll answer your questions the best I can

1. It IS possible to apply for finance for another university even if you failed your first year
    2. You can do any course you like, it doesn't need to be the same. As long as it is on the acceptable courses database.
    3. For studying part time, you may receive a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) if applicable.
    4. The amount of TFL you can apply for is up to £6750 per year.
    5. There are no additional grants paid if you are studying part time I'm afraid, apart from DSA.

Hope this helps and best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngieDonnor)
    Hi are part time students that have children entitled to parents learning grant or any other help?
    Hi there

I'm afraid not. Part time students are only eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan and Disabled Students Allowance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to Claire and for all your questions. If you've missed this webchat but you want more information visit our student finance zone or check out the calendar of what's on for the rest of the week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.