Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni in September and got questions about student life? Or maybe you're worried about settling in? Ask Tim.

Tim is a second year Chemical Engineering student at the University of Bath. He lived in halls last year and now lives in a shared house. He also works on The Student Room running the forums for his university. He’ll be happy to answer your questions about student life and settling into uni!

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 8 February.

ReputationRep:
    do you think it's better to live in halls or a house? which did you prefer and why?

ReputationRep:
    what did you think is the best way to meet new people in uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie445)
    do you think it's better to live in halls or a house? which did you prefer and why?
    Hi,

As I said in my bio, I lived in halls in my first year. This is something I'd really recommend doing in your first year as it throws you together with lots of new people giving you a great opportunity to make friends. Also lots of things are sorted out for you in halls (bills, internet etc.), which makes settling in that little bit easier. My halls were located on campus which meant I was very close to all of the facilities and lecture theatres which was of course very convenient. Though the location of halls may vary from university to university.

However by the end of my first year, I was very much looking forward to moving into my own place. You don't get to choose who you live with in halls, so there tend to be disagreements over cleanliness and kitchen habits. A house is a lot more peaceful as you can choose who you live with, and generally have more freedom in what you do with the place. I also feel more independent living in a house, it's definitely good to have experience of dealing with bills and heating before you leave university.

Overall I'd say it's best to try and get experience of both, as they each have pros and cons. Hope that helps! If you've got any more questions, just ask.

Tim

ReputationRep:
    I'm allergic to pitta, are there living arrangements for people with unconventional dietary requirements?

ReputationRep:
    What should I do if my slc loan hasn't come through by the time term starts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom35)
    what did you think is the best way to meet new people in uni?
    Hi,

As I said in my post above, I met lots of my friends through living in halls in my first year. However there are lots of other ways to meet new people.

Getting involved with sports clubs and societies is a great way of finding friends, especially as you tend to end up with people who have similar interests to you. They'll all be really keen for new members during fresher's week, so my advice would be to sign up to all the ones that you like the look of and see if you enjoy them.

You can also meet new people through your course. You'll be going to lectures with the same group of people every day, and everyone is in the same boat in that they don't know too many people. So just try and be brave and talk to the people you're sitting next to in lectures. Some courses may also organise socials, which I'd definitely recommend going to.

Hope that's useful!

Tim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny72)
    What should I do if my slc loan hasn't come through by the time term starts?
    Hi,

Normally they will come through just before the start of term, however this doesn't always include fresher's week. My advice would just be to make sure you have some money available for that week as a backup.

It's very unusual for it to be delayed much further beyond the start of term, however you can find more information about what to do if it does happen here.

Hope that answers your question!

Tim

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, I've realised this wasn't the right thread but thanks for your help anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WolfOfWestwood)
    I'm allergic to pitta, are there living arrangements for people with unconventional dietary requirements?
    Hi,

When you choose your accommodation for first year, you'll most likely have a choice of catered or non-catered accommodation. In non-catered, you'll be expected to cook your own meals and so will be provided with more extensive cooking facilities. Here you can of course choose what you eat so you won't have any problems with allergies. In catered you'll either have a canteen or a range of restaurants that you eat in. These should provide a range of foods for people with different dietary requirements however it might be worth checking with the university before choosing. Hope that answers your question.

Tim

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Tim! We've got plenty more webchats on through the rest of the week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.