Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering applying for Birmingham City University Watch

Hello

Bcu is amongst several uni's I may want to apply for. So was just wondering if anyone could answer this question/give a insight e.t.c, about bcu mainly or about any other uni within that area if you don't go to bcu.

Well firstly what is it like to study at Birmingham City uni? like what are the lessons like? also what is the support like?

Secondly what is the accommodation like? And how much roughly would you estimate to need to spend for living (food/bills/etc)? What is the general area of Birmingham like?

Thirdly what are the Psychology 3 year course like to study? How is the subject taught? What is the work loaded needed like? etc..

And what are the English 3 year course like to study? How is the student taught? What is the work load like? etc..

Thank you in advance for any one who answers this.

^^

Birmingham City University

Bump ^^
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello

Bcu is amongst several uni's I may want to apply for. So was just wondering if anyone could answer this question/give a insight e.t.c, about bcu mainly or about any other uni within that area if you don't go to bcu.

Hi there,

Great to hear you’re considering studying here! Is it Psychology and English you’re looking at studying?

If you look at the ‘course in depth’ tab on the Psychology course page here, you can see exactly how the course is broken down and what modules you’d be studying.

You’ll learn a lot of theory starting with core knowledge and modules. The course then gets more practical as you go on and carry out more independent research and experiments.

People who have studied the course have said tutor support is great and staff are always there to help.

For English you’ll also find the module break down on the ‘course in depth’ tab on our English course page, along with the teaching and assessment breakdown and teaching activities.

With either course you’d be based in the Curzon Building on our City Centre Campus, which has a great community feel and vibe with our student union and library based there.

You’d only be 5 minutes from Birmingham City Centre which has so much going on! There’s loads of great places to eat, shop, explore, see live music! You can see more about student life in Birmingham here.

I hope this helps for now, but if you have any more questions just let us know!

All the best,
    Lydia
    The BCU Team

(Original post by Birmingham City University)
    Hi there,

Great to hear you’re considering studying here! Is it Psychology and English you’re looking at studying?

If you look at the ‘course in depth’ tab on the Psychology course page here, you can see exactly how the course is broken down and what modules you’d be studying.

You’ll learn a lot of theory starting with core knowledge and modules. The course then gets more practical as you go on and carry out more independent research and experiments.

People who have studied the course have said tutor support is great and staff are always there to help.

For English you’ll also find the module break down on the ‘course in depth’ tab on our English course page, along with the teaching and assessment breakdown and teaching activities.

With either course you’d be based in the Curzon Building on our City Centre Campus, which has a great community feel and vibe with our student union and library based there.

You’d only be 5 minutes from Birmingham City Centre which has so much going on! There’s loads of great places to eat, shop, explore, see live music! You can see more about student life in Birmingham here.

I hope this helps for now, but if you have any more questions just let us know!

All the best,
    Lydia
    The BCU Team
    Thank you for the links, will read through them, thanks.

Oh that sounds good then.

Thanks for the help and okay dokey.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to BCU. Personally, I didn't have a great experience and left after 3 months. If it's Perry Barr, you going to be at. Quite rough but there's a shopping centre not too far and accommodation was decent and cheap. I don't know if completely knocked down the old uni now and all moved to the new one but personally, the course I was on was unorganised and disappointing tbh... But I will admit I know a lot of people who graduated straight into employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jammie_x)
    I have been to BCU. Personally, I didn't have a great experience and left after 3 months. If it's Perry Barr, you going to be at. Quite rough but there's a shopping centre not too far and accommodation was decent and cheap. I don't know if completely knocked down the old uni now and all moved to the new one but personally, the course I was on was unorganised and disappointing tbh... But I will admit I know a lot of people who graduated straight into employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really, and yea i know that some areas are rough. I think the mostly got the new one now. And oh, what course was that? and thats good then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh really, and yea i know that some areas are rough. I think the mostly got the new one now. And oh, what course was that? and thats good then.
    It was Media and Communications. Admittedly the new building does look 10 X better then the old building, so take a chance if you go there.

I just found the place to be disorganised when I went but this was 5 years ago now. I found it to be too much of a big city and I felt like a number. I learned I like cities but smaller ones then that haha. Everyone is different. Just make sure though you make the right choice on wherever you go, since its three years and potentially the rest of your life (if decide to get a graduate job and work experience around that area) you be there for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jammie_x)
    It was Media and Communications. Admittedly the new building does look 10 X better then the old building, so take a chance if you go there.

I just found the place to be disorganised when I went but this was 5 years ago now. I found it to be too much of a big city and I felt like a number. I learned I like cities but smaller ones then that haha. Everyone is different. Just make sure though you make the right choice on wherever you go, since its three years and potentially the rest of your life (if decide to get a graduate job and work experience around that area) you be there for. Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats sounds cool, and oh thats good then.

Oh fair enough and i will do, i always double and triple change that i am making the right choice. And that true everyone experiences things differently. Thank you for sharing your view.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.